CDC Design (Inc. Street Level Models, The Condensed Loco Company and Thanet Loco Works)

sem34090

Minor correction and an update.

I saw one of the photos above clearly showed the 3D print "layering" and I looked closer.  This body shell has been printed in black plastic, not painted black.  The upside of that is I suspect a layer of primer followed by a coat of black will mostly hide the 3D printing "effect".

I tried gently compressing the bowed tank sides overnight using a small F clamp.  Initially all looked good, but a few hours later the bowing was back.

Two days ago I tried natural UV and natural heat...in plain English I am leaving the body-shell in the strong June sunshine for a few hours, clamped up.

It seems to have worked and 48 hours later no return of the bowing (irritatingly the clamp was ever so slightly too tight and I now have a very small inward bow!)

20210607_123515.jpg

Edited by plasticbasher
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the very comprehensive review. The issue with bowing is one which has plagued us. The best solution I have found is the horizontal reinforcement within the tanks, but the weak spot comes at the front of the tank where it meets the boiler barrel.

The height issue comes from the height of the back end of the Jinty motor which is mounted at an angle. I had to thin the area over the firebox down to 0.9mm rather than the 1.5mm which is my preferred thickness for structural parts just to get that little bit more clearance to lower the body onto the chassis. There really isn't a lot of space above that motor!

I have been working on an alternative version which fits the Oxford Rail Dean Goods chassis. This has allowed me to reduce the length over buffers to the correct dimension, and brings back the hunkered down look of the prototype. I will hopefully release it in the not too distant future. Obviously this is a more challenging conversion, as it requires some soldering on the chassis to rewire the circuit board which connects the plug to the tender, which obviously has to be removed. I'll try and post a comparison photo later.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

As promised, a couple of comparison shots between the Hornby and Oxford chassis variants of the R1. Maybe an unfair comparison as one is a cut down version and the other has all its full height fittings, but hopefully it shows the differences. The Oxford version is dead on scale length, whereas the Hornby chassis is approx 1.8mm longer.

Apologies also for the dubious livery. We have been having a debate recently about whether we have actually seen photos of R1s in olive, or whether we are just so used to seeing the Wrenn one (or Maxitrack) that we all 'think we've seen one in olive. They look nice though!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Can I use this thread to put a suggestion for a future model?

I'd really like - and I suspect it would be a good seller - is for a Caledonian 439 class 0-4-4T to fit the Hornby chassis, like your similar Stanier 2P. 

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Received my J69 bodyshell today. Very prompt service and well packaged. 

I must say I am really impressed with this print and if you went for the additional numbering service it would literally be a 'shake and bake' form of modelling with two screws required to fix on the donor Terrier chassis. 

In this instance I am going to add additional detail including metal lamp irons as well as new buffers and coupling hooks.

It will be finished as Cambridge's 68555 as per Barry Norman's MRJ 284 article of his 7mm model. 

Being a Scottish exile it will inherit  shunting footsteps and bunker  handrails. 

Watch this space for an update eventually. 

Excellent service and product all round. The D40 looks superb by the way. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/02/2022 at 10:09, phil gollin said:

There are a limited number of the SECR version ones available for pre-order on E-Bay.

( The manufacturer's know that the colourful SECR version needs the original saturated boiler. )

So @L49 has learned how to use the Ebay selection menus then. good to know, means i can take a day off and go back to slowly updating the card kit range

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quickie ?

haveing just bought a SECR R class which arrived before it was due to arrive, so promptly despached to me,

haveing swapped around my spair Hornby 0-6-0 chassis under my GWR 27xx as the one I had free had a X04 type motor haveing released the correct chassis from the 27xx body I am not haveing a ponder as to what colour the wheels on a SE&CR loco should be green or black and if green is it the boiler green or tank side green which is lighter on the model ? Cheers chaps from a mainly GWR modeller who has strayed 

Graham

• 1 month later...
On 19/02/2022 at 13:22, Graham456 said:

Just a quickie ?

haveing just bought a SECR R class which arrived before it was due to arrive, so promptly despached to me,

haveing swapped around my spair Hornby 0-6-0 chassis under my GWR 27xx as the one I had free had a X04 type motor haveing released the correct chassis from the 27xx body I am not haveing a ponder as to what colour the wheels on a SE&CR loco should be green or black and if green is it the boiler green or tank side green which is lighter on the model ? Cheers chaps from a mainly GWR modeller who has strayed 

Graham

If your goign for SECR livery. To my knowledge the wheels were the same colour as the boiler/tanks. 

Having looked at the R1's today at Alexandra Palace the tanks look like a single transfer so could be lighter. The boiler colour would be better to match.

I ordered a lined olive green bodyshell and managed to pick up a dean goods for £67 at the show which I dont think is bad at all. 

Matt

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Since my interest in and membership to the Great North of Scotland Railway Society, I have considered  making a Class R, later LNER G10 0-4-4 tank loco. Pages 109-111 RCTS, part 7 gives much detail of these locos. A body kit could fit on an M7 chassis, but with dimensional compromises that may not sit well with some. There were only 9 locos in this class, eight withdrawn between 1937-1940. one did survive, 6887,  (renumbered 7505 in 1946), only to be withdrawn 8/1947. I was about 15 months old then, so it qualifies extra interest for me! Fortunately I have the skills and knowledge to scratchbuild an accurate chassis and probably a body too, but as you can tell, I'm "knocking on a bit" and have quite a few projects I would like to complete. before "falling off my perch"!! So I doubt if anyone would make such a limited interest commercial loco body, but I thought I would throw the idea out there, to see what might bounce back!?

Happy  modelling folks,

Tod

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed recently kits for the Metropolitan F Class have started appearing to fit a Oxford Dean good chassis.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225022621572?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=0CsmXNqgQWK&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=BsM2nwszTJi&var=523899817658&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

As a London transport modeller this is certainly of interest once I can track down a cheap enough donor loco.

If anyone has bought one of these new kits I’d be interested to hear how it runs. What radius is recommended for this loco with the radial truck(it’s not on the track on all listing photos anyway).

Part of me is hoping this could lead to more Metropolitan railway loco kits for RTR chassis, a E Class(for a M7 chassis?) or a A Class (for a Oxford Adams Radial chassis?) may prove popular as they could cover service up to preservation. Obviously easy for me to suggest these and but what CDC can or will produce is their business, I guess only time will tell.

OliverSR

On 24/06/2022 at 09:26, Mad McCann said:

Any developments, as per the D40. Last I heard there were problems with sourcing appropriate wheels?

Davy.

Was wondering myself. I sent them a message enquiring about my order 13 days ago but no response as yet.

• 4 months later...

Evening all, time for an apologetic and rather embarrassing update. For everyone awaiting the D40, the project is far from dead, but is taking a LOT longer than anticipated. Most people know that we had trouble sourcing wheels in sufficient quantities to get on with the batch building, and therefore ended up with no possible movement for over eight months. The upshot of this was that pretty much any new developments ended up on hold in one way shape or form, while I started pulling my hair out and cringing at every email which just seemed like another excuse. The position now is that we ha e half the wheels, and are slogging through getting them fitted and running. The reason it is a slog has less to do with the difficulty of the task, and more to do with the ongoing mental strain and lack of self confidence that eight months of constant apologising to understandably concerned customers has brought about, (and the fact that a two year old daughter is not the best full time office assistant). Emma and I are determined that at least some will be out in the post before Christmas, simply because we really don't want a D40 shaped sword of damocles hovering over us. We are getting there, we are honouring all orders, and we haven't run off with anyone's money... we are just finding things exceptionally hard going at the moment.

Thanks all

Charlie and Emma

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• 3 months later...

Hello Charlie:

I've only just found this thread, and post to give you e-encourage and and e-support. I too have a D40 on order, but with the (lack of) progress on my layout, it won't matter a fig whether it's delivered this week or in 10 years.

Rest up, remember to breathe, and make the most of time with your family. My wife says you only get 12 summers with your children, and she's usually right, you know.

She tells me so.

Dean

• 4 weeks later...

I received my D40 a good few weeks back.  It has needed an inordinate amount of "fettling" and more to get it to work, some of which has been spoken about in the GNSR Review by Des, their modelling guy.  It still isn't running very well, due it is believed, because it still too light and needs someone who knows to put lots of lead in at least the tender and over the front bogie.  Has a formal review of the loco appeared which gets to grips with all the issues and posits solutions?  As a useless bodger only i'd love to find some to take it away and return it running perfectly.  Please.  But it looks wonderful on my window ledge.  Sigh !

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to share a couple of CDC models I have and am very pleased with. First one was a 97Xx pannier in BR Black numbered 9701 with their pre painted and numbered option. All I have done is source a decent running Hornby chassis and small amount of filing before it clipped in. Was a pleasantly effort free way to get a more obscure loco running around my layout.AD9C25A0-2F25-4955-8850-857F7B8D40F3.jpeg.08d2db545e62280022ba22de599b0994.jpeg

I recently also bought a Metropolitan F Class which was painted but unlined as I wanted to do it in London transport livery. Fitted the designed Dean goods chassis with no effort. I had to rewire to remove the reliance on the tender and painted the coupling rods and wheels a more suitable colour. Waterslide transfers (simplified lining as I’m lazy) applied and coupling pockets glued in and now I have another loco I’m very pleased with.

6BAFBE4D-CA21-4958-935F-44E7CC705D1E.jpeg.8350fc55296bc0ac0a45b96dfde79740.jpeg

One last photo of both of them together but as far as I’m concerned the bodies represent a very good value way to get some models not available RTR and I will keep an eye out for any future releases that may interest me.

938CEF1E-AB27-4421-89F2-1F155656C6CA.jpeg.ae98496a6a73621db2266f303da8c172.jpeg

I have no connection with CDC other than as a customer but wanted to share how happy I was with the models.

OliverSR

• Like 15