CDC Design (Inc. Street Level Models, The Condensed Loco Company and Thanet Loco Works)

sem34090

• RMweb Gold

I see on ebay there is a CR Class 439 body being offered. Just such a shame its for fitting on the old Triang Hornby M7 chassis, rather than the newer Hornby one!

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/05/2023 at 19:13, JohnR said:

I see on ebay there is a CR Class 439 body being offered. Just such a shame its for fitting on the old Triang Hornby M7 chassis, rather than the newer Hornby one!

Well I suppose what you save on the cost of buying a modern M7 for the chassis ,will buy you a set of wheels !

and No Mazark rot with the old chassis, so it should be good for fifty years provided the body will last as long as the chassis will .

all ways look on the bright side of life ……….theirs a song in that I seem to remember 

OR ! Stick with your old K’s kit that you have spent a hours if not months on to balance on its driving wheels,why did the CR put so much lineing on the thing ?

not currently in seven ash with the WSR a field away but Bracknell ! enjoying ExpoEM

Edited by Graham456

• 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Any update on the R-T-R  GNoSR V/F Class 4-4-0SE&CR G Class 4-4-0 wheels issue ?

Maybe an estimated date for delivery ?

I received mine back in January. Have you emailed directly?

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Any update on the R-T-R  GNoSR V/F Class 4-4-0SE&CR G Class 4-4-0 wheels issue ?

Maybe an estimated date for delivery ?

I messaged a couple of weeks ago and was told that they were only receiving the wheels in small batches and sending more locos out as soon as they got a new batch. I'm guessing I'm towards the end of the queue as I think I ordered just about the last one before they stopped being available on eBay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got mine in Spring and it needed extensive alteration and fettling before it would even move.  See the latest Great North Review for details.  It had to be rewired, key components moved and weight added.  It runs now but still needs weight added and it can't cope with turning.  A real pity.

The maker seems now to be off grid and unavailable and the last time I checked the website had disappeared

Here's the story as I'm aware of it:

CDC decides to offer their first RTR loco after experience offering 3D printer loco bodies only. They're a small company - probably just two guys working in their spare time. They chose the 4-4-0 as something of sufficient interest to make it worth their while yet had not and probably never will be offered by larger producers.  I understand 4-4-0's to be a wheel configuration that is difficult to get to balance and get to run well.

Enter COVID and the ensuing supply chain problems.

Step forward a few years, CDC still have wheel supply problems, their personal circumstances have probably changed (do they still have that spare room?), and the guy actually making them is traumatised by tantrums from buyers who don't have their new toys yet, and that when they do, they don't run like Hornby or Bachmann products. 

His wife now runs triage over emails while the young man continues to satisfy orders as the wheels come available in small batches.  This has taken much longer than they ever envisioned, and I suspect the hope of make a little pocket money from the endeavour has long since disappeared.  I'd be surprised if they had the courage to attempt another RTR loco in the future.

For myself, it will make no difference to my layout whether I get mine this year, or next, or the one after.  It's not like I don't have other locos.  I have confidence that CDC will honour all orders, in time.

In the meantime, I've just received a request to pay for a pre-order I made with TMC in 2020.  If it takes them 3 years to produce something, then I really think we should continue to cut the guys behind CDC some slack.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...

Any updates on D40 deliveries? I ordered 2 in Dec 21 and Feb 22.

Just want some reassurance that deliveries continue to take place - no urgency and I am happy to do the required fettling. Contact via website has led to no reply, from previous posts I can understand sensitivity from CDC's point of view.

I’ve got two of the E22 tanks, lovely looking little things, only issue I’ve got is that the front couplings seem to be quite heavily recessed once the Hornby (ex-Dapol) Terrier chassis is underneath the bodyshell, might just be that I’ve fitted them round the wrong way.

just working on some Hornby 4-wheeler conversions to go behind them for my light railway, and waiting on the Metropolitan coaches so I can get a brake coach as well.

IMG_7380.jpeg

IMG_7379.jpeg

IMG_7696.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...