How will we manage :(

rab

• RMweb Premium

OK I know this is minor in the current situation but browsing through Ebay this morning it struck me that even this will be affected by the lockdown, at least as far as private sellers are concerned.

Trips to the post office with sold items can hardly be classed as essential.

Will we see a temporary reduction in new listings?

What about items due to finish in the next few days. Will despatch have to be delayed?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I had an item that I purchased 4pm monday cancelled by the seller today, as unable to get to post office, which is understandable! 

Got a few more on the way, 1 arrived today but won't be bidding on any more and have cancelled my 3 listings.

• Friendly/supportive 1

It's worth bearing in mind that some folk, finding themselves suddenly with no source of employment income but still having weekly or monthly outgoings to pay, may be reliant on bringing in a few quid from whatever legal avenues.  If Post Offices are open and able to be used safely and within the guidelines, then this trickle of commerce may be a lifeline for several private sellers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Premium

With over 500 live listings, mostly books, magazines and vintage comics, all from my own collections, taking them all down and relisting  is a no-no.  Fortunately only a few go in any week, so post office visits can be minimal. Our local PO is in a convenience store, so a food run can coincide.  What I have noticed is a slow down in buying.  I haven't had a bid since Friday and last week there were fewer than usual. 

Edited by petethemole
  • Like 1

I don't sell on ebay often, but I was kind of hoping to sell some surplus items on Ebay to get some useful extra cash.  I guess for now I will just sit tight, not much point listing stuff if nobody is buying, but on the other hand most of the items would be good for people who have to isolate -Lego sets, model railway, plus some classic car parts...

• RMweb Premium

I sold an item yesterday and handed it in at the post office this morning on my twice weekly journey to buy foodstuffs, my first time out of the house since Friday.     I have an item listed to sell on Thursday, and will make a similar arrangement to get it posted at the end of the week.   Our nearest Post Office is also a Spar grocer where I can also buy food, and is still open, but selling stuff on eBay is hardly an essential activity for a private individual so there will be no more eBay selling by me for the time being.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Titan said:

I don't sell on ebay often, but I was kind of hoping to sell some surplus items on Ebay to get some useful extra cash.  I guess for now I will just sit tight, not much point listing stuff if nobody is buying,  ...snip...

If you do not list it nobody can buy it. A lose, lose situation.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

It's worth bearing in mind that some folk, finding themselves suddenly with no source of employment income but still having weekly or monthly outgoings to pay, may be reliant on bringing in a few quid from whatever legal avenues.  If Post Offices are open and able to be used safely and within the guidelines, then this trickle of commerce may be a lifeline for several private sellers.

Yep, plenty of posts elsewhere on RMweb, with members eager to 'have something do' with perhaps weeks at home.

As time rolls on, perhaps plenty of would be buyers?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I sell mainly photos so am planning on listing more, but with a post once a week only comment. There are also bargins to be got. A fully built and running Comet 4mt t chassis with mashima motor for £53, you cant even get the parts for that. 

• RMweb Premium

I bid £150 on a Dapol pannier that would normally fetch between about 160 - 180, partly thinking I might get a bargain. Then regretted it but I was outbid at the end. I'm sure there is a slow down but quality stuff will sell especially if people have time on their hands to browse.

• RMweb Premium

I have been gradually clearings backlog of bits and bobs for some time.

For now I have decided only to list small items that can fit in the post box outside my place with the online postage facility.

Larger items can wait, no one seems all that interested in them at the moment anyway.

• Agree 1

I don't see posting of model railway items as necessary either.

I had three auctions that were "live" during the movement restriction announcement.

Quite low value so I let them run.

I then emailed the buyers with 3 options..

A full refund.

Keep till hopefully the restrictions get lifted and I'll post later.

Refund then complete by private Paypal transaction later. (if they don't want the item then well, thems the breaks..)

2 buyers opted for the second option - one hasn't responded. (which would normally irk me but who knows what situation the buyer is in?)

Living downunder I was also concerned about whether the post office would be open and considered ending my listings.  On a recent trip to the supermarket I visited the post office which is in the same complex and was assured that business would continue for the foreseeable future.  Thus I kept my listings live and any sales would coincide with an outing to purchase foodstuffs.   I believe that the state government will be implementing stage 3 shutdowns in the next day or so which as yet have not been detailed but could be much like in Italy, i.e., a lockdown.   However,  I doubt that you could be prevented from buying food so they could not restrict you to your home.  I have let my listings decrease to just three now in anticipation of some crackdown on movement.

Our village PO is only open two days a week (little more than a broom cupboard inside the village hall) and, even during normal times, I rarely encounter anyone else during the walk to and from there. The post mistress is better protected, behind her glass screens, than any supermarket checkout staff. All in all I see very little risk and will continue to send out parcels for as long as possible.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Here in Didcot the main post office is in WH Smith, which closed last week, taking the post office with it at the moment. There are a number of smaller ones in smaller shops around the villages that appear to be open at the moment.

Don't forget you can buy postage on the royal  mail website and print out a label to stick on the parcel and then drop it at your normal sorting office, any post office or drop into a post box.

Some local business parks also have franked mail boxes with larger slots, on Milton park these have been rebranded small parcel boxes. I regularly used to drop signed for items into these, and they always got the requisite signature at the other end despite this being against the stated rules (never had a missing one to claim for mind).

Not wishing to counter point the discussion, but I have noticed a strange trend this week

Some wagon kits I have had on Ebay for ages have sold in a very short space of time!

Is this due to current circumstances, and the wish to be constructive with our time?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Though I realise that for some e-bay is an enjoyable part of our hobby, almost a hobby in itself, I'm not convinced that dropping off parcels at the sorting office or post office is a socially responsible thing to do when the aim is to reduce social contact. It would seem to be one of those instances where self is put above society.

• RMweb Premium

Where the Post Office is an integral part of a shop you are visiting anyway for essential supplies (my local one is in a local low cost supermarket type place that does a nice line in broken biscuits and sensibly priced comestibles) then it is okay in my book to drop off a parcel whilst you are in there.

A specific trip would be a no-no under the current circumstances though.

Also I suspect for some Ebay sellers, they quite frankly need the cash...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 5 months later...

Pleased to confirm that I have supported the local post office throughout the intervening period, without undue paranoia and calling in only at very quiet times.  They are also the local grocers and off licence, so all needs catered for beans on toast supper after a few pints! 

Apart from a couple of things delivered in person, over 100 items have crossed the counter on their way to pastures new.  I think it's crucial to try and retain a sense of realism in the face of the relentless media barrage, which has caused me to go off-grid more than once in the six months since March 17th, when working from home was first imposed.

I know of at least one member of this forum who has purchased from me, so thank you!!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I started using ebay postage (Packlink/Hermes) since the start of the pandemic and will still carry on doing so mainly because of the lack of queues and extended time’s I could drop stuff off, the nearest collection point is the local petrol station, touch wood everything has arrived intact, probably about 40-50 parcels in total and cheaper than the Royal Mail fully insured service 

not very often praise is given to Hermes but can’t fault them the last 6 months!