Some thing to do while staying at home

Hi all,

In this time of  being forced to stay at home your mind turns to the things you want to do but maybe did not have the time or thought maybe you did not have the skills/knowledge to do it. Now is the time to go through cheap stuff you have and work on it. Stuff you shoved in a box and thought maybe one day I will do something with it. If it has been years since you bought/swapped it You should be with your hearts content hacking, cutting, painting and generally bashing it into some kind of engine/wagon. Knowing that at this time what you paid for it was probably coppers.

I bought 3 second hand Lima GWR engines from Ebay. 2 small Lima prairies and a Lima pannier tank. All sold for spares or repairs. All for the princely sum of just over £20.00. 2 only needed a service and some slight cosmetic work. While the 3rd one of the small prairies needed life support. With a badly smashed front buffer beam and needing painting and replacement of some missing detail items. I was on the point of just junking the engine into my spares box when I thought I could have fun with this. It did not matter how bad I  a job I made of this as I had already got 2 working engines out of the money I paid for them.

Now I am not a talented modeller, perhaps barely average but it did not matter. So I had a crack at making this engine the best small prairie I could do with my talents. I have posted this engine elsewhere on these forums but decided to post here to tell you all. This is have a go time. So go on have a go. Get something cheap and play with it. You will be amazed at what you can do and the pleasure you will get from it. Let alone the hours that will disappear while you are doing it. Virtually all I have ever done with my engines in the past is paint them and add some minor detailing.

So here is what has been done to this engine. It is not quite finished yet but it is far enough along for me to show you it.

1 new sprung buffers.

2 new pony and bogie wheels.

3 new brake hoses.

4 new buffer beam and hook.

5 new chimney.

6 new steam dome.

7 new whistles.

8 all handrails are now wire.

9 replacement coal.

10 new boiler door dart.

11 replacement tank fillers(1 scratch built by myself).

12 full repaint.

13 New brake gear and rodding.

14 all new transferes.

Anyway here is the engine before and after.

buggeredprairie.jpg

buffer 1.jpg

buffer 2.jpg

buffer 3.jpg

DSC_0828.JPG

DSC_0829.JPG

DSC_0830.JPG

DSC_0831.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Excellent work cypherman, and a very good point about the opportunity to 'have a go'. I tend to be a bit sniffy about these locos, especially the 94xx because of it's chassis, but owned examples of both 'back in the day'.  The 4575 is replaced with the current Bachmann, and my 94xx subjected to a 'Limbach' conversion pending the release of Baccy's 94xx, but these have some valuable qualities.  They are cheap and cheerful, bombproof reliable, and the 4575's chassis nowhere near as bad as the 94xx.  Your reworked 4575 looks perfectly acceptable to me!

One or two suggestions; etched number plates are easy to provide and 'lift' the model well for the investment, but 4141 is a 5101 class large prairie not a 4575 small prairie.  Potted history; 4575 introduced 1927 as a development of Churchward's 1906 45xx, the difference being larger tanks and increased. 'range', at the cost of axle loading so that these locos were not allowed on all routes used by the 45xx, though both classes were rated 'yellow' for RA purposes.  The 45xx were themselves a development of Churchward's 1904 44xx, the difference being 4'7" driving wheel as opposed to 4'1".  44xx were used on steeply graded branches with sharp curves, notably Princetown, Porthcawl, and Much Wenlock.

Some 4575s (the number sequence extended to the 55xx series) were provided with auto gear for use in South Wales by BR in 1953.  

These 3 classes are generally known as the 'small prairies' to distinguish them from the Churchward/Collett 'large prairies'.  These are a different animal, much bigger (no sh*t , Sherlock), and have a complex history which won't fit into the 'potted' category.  Boilers, driving wheels, cabs, bunkers, everything about these locos was bigger and the various number sequences are x1xx, so 31xx, 41xx, 51xx, 61xx, 81xx.  This is a gross oversimplification but a perfectly adequate means of distinguishing small from large prairies; if the second number is a 5, you've got a small prairie, if it's a 1, you've got a large one.  

Large prairies have been produced as RTR in 4mm by Graham Farish and Airfix GMR, the latter model surviving until recently with a retooled chassis by Hornby.  Hornby and Dapol are in the process of introducing new versions, with Hornby's probably appearing first.  Airfix examples a re common and cheap on 'Bay, but they they tend to fail with broken slide bars as the plastic gets brittle with age.  That apart, they are fine for anyone who has been able to fettle a small prairie to this standard.

RTR small prairies were made by Lima, the 4575 variant, and currently are by Bachmann in both 45xx and 4575 variants.  Nobody has ever made the 44xx as an RTR model but K's made a whitmetal kit long ago.

Both the 4575 and 94xx never had copper capped chimneys, being fitted with cast iron ones.  The various large prairies were all fitted with copper capped chimneys however.  There may be a reason for this but if so I don't know what it was.

You can glaze the cab front windows with clear plastic cut to size or 'Glue'n'Glaze ' or similar.  If the latter, try it on a few test pieces first until you've got the knack of 'rolling' the liquid over the window reveal; once you've picked it up it is a very easy and effective method.

I have always found with my Lima models that they can be made to run very smoothly but are overgeared and capable of insane scale speeds.  The wheels are made of some sort of brass allow that seems to attract dirt and spread it all over your layout, but if they are kept rigorously clean the locos can be controlled reliably down to quite low speeds.  The Bachmann mechs are much better in this respect, but the Limas can pull heavier loads.  Bachmanns score on finer detailing and cab detail as well, and IMHO on finish, but you got 3 locos for £20, which kind of puts it in perspective!

I hope that your post will encourage others to 'have a go', especially anyone who is thinking about it but nervous.  With source material this cheap, locos can be sacrificed to the learning curve, and much fun had as you've found out.  If anyone has a Bachmann small prairie, it might be a fun project to pick up a LIma as cheaply as possible and see how close you can get to the Bachmann with it (I'll let you off the cab detail).  The same can be done with the Baccy 94xx when it arrives, but the chassis is more of a problem with the Lima 94xx.  It fits the Lima J50, and has incorrect wheel spacing for the 94xx, which means that the Lima 94xx body has splashers in the wrong place for a correct 94xx chassis.  Worse, it is very crude, with a stamped coupling rod which is not attached in any way to the centre driving wheels, and is the wrong shape for a 94xx (should be fishbelly, not parallel and fluted).  The Lima chassis blocks are plastic and drive the rear axle from a pancake motor which fills the cab; I recommend hiding them to the extent that you can with crew leaning out of the cab.

Revolting pedant hat on; the 'steam dome' mentioned in your step 6 is a brass safety valve cover or bonnet, shaped that way to divert the noise of blowing off valves skywards.  GW Churchward, Collett, and Hawksworth taper boilers are domeless and the safety valves placed amidships; on parallel GW boilers with conventional domes the safety valve cover is situated in the more usual position on top of the firebox.  The whistles live on top of the fireboxes, and on the cab roofs of some older pre-Churchward locos.  The safety valve cover is painted over on some locos at some times, but is always brass.

Well done, mate, let's see the 94xx when you've finished it!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Johnster,

Thanks for the kind comments, Yes this post is as you have said to encourage people to have a go at modifying cheap source material.

The engine number plates are from the Dapol ex Airfix  prairie. Dapol will sell their transferes for £1.00 a set plus p+p for any of their engines and wagons. They were easy to get and gave me something to use while I waited for a set of brass plates with the correct number on them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Johnster,

No need for apologies. I would have probably made the same assumption about the plates and numbers. I could use some information about the best numbering transferes for the buffer beam. I would like waterslide if possible. Do you have any suggestions. I have lots of LMS and LNER transferes, but no GWR.

One thing I did just notice and may have some effect on the model is that the steam cylinders have been replaced at some point with larger ones. This has now restricted the movement of the front bogie. The restriction is quite severe so may have to file away a portion of them from the back. I do not know why this has been done. Were the steam cylinders to small on the Lima model?.

Edited by cypherman

• RMweb Gold

Couldn’t say for sure; don’t think so.  As for transfers, HMRS(used to be PC Models) ‘Pressfix’ GWR loco markings will have everything you need, including buffer beam numbers.  You wet the area that the xfer is going to to go, cut around the one you want on the sheet but only through the xfer film, not the backing sheet, lift the xfer off the sheet with a modelling knife, position it (more water if you need to move it around), and press it home, then dry the surplus water with a tissue. 

It’s time consuming in the case of small numbers, because the xfer you’ve just put on needs to dry completely, by which I mean overnight, and be sealed with varnish which must also go off, before the next one goes on or it’ll move out of position while you are fixing the next one, for which reason I do the first and last numbers first but it’s still a 3 day job!

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

SWMBO keeps finding things for me to do and waste valuable modelling time!

2 minutes ago, irishmail said:

Mines just got me to redecorate our bedroom!  :)

Regrettably, some women don't have their priorities right.

My sympathies to you both.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Well - lucky you only decorating the bedroom. I had already decorated the lounge, the porch, batched up the utility room, painted the fence behind the shed (where she cannot reach), painted the garden gates, moved plants around and I still have a list on the table saying remove tree from rockery, weeding at drive and front of fence, edging of the lawn, paint trellis at front of house, fix conservatory door....

She was at home for 2 weeks - this brought up many ideas. My better half is working again , but it looks like it will be only 3 days next week...

• Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 12:35, cypherman said:

... Were the steam cylinders too small on the Lima model?.

Never having looked at this model I cannot say either, but it was entirely usual to make cylinders undersize and /or chop out large sections on the inside to enable truck and bogie wheels to swing enough for set track curves. (Don't quote me on this, but I believe Lima's set track included a 13" radius curve.)

1 hour ago, Il Grifone said:

SWMBO keeps finding things for me to do and waste valuable modelling time!

This requires strategy. You need to do some damage that falls into her skill set to rectify. Splitting the seat of your 'work trousers' is a reliable standby.

It’s great that people are using this time to do some modelling - it’s a great way to destress. I’m a doctor, very much in the front line and I’ve started building a new station with some Scalescenes bits and card. If it gets anywhere I might put some pics up. I’m doing 30min or so to wind down between getting home and going to bed. 

However - can I issue a plea to everyone modelling or doing DIY. Please do be careful. Our nhs is stretched and we are trying so hard to keep the normal emergency services going but it’s not easy. So please don’t slice your hand with a scalpel or use power tools!

• Friendly/supportive 3

Hi TomJ,

I know what you mean. I am an anaesthetics and recovery nurse. Doing this sort of thing helps me unwind. I have always enjoyed getting broken things and fixing them. As a kid I used to get all my friends broken models etc and fix them up. So getting these were fun to do. I have already ordered another small prairie that is broken to play with while I wait for the engine plates.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Nice work.  I had a few Lima 45XX and there is one on the mantlepiece as I write.  They were displaced by Bachmann 45XX from the you but apart from one which went on eBay I am loth to part with them.

They have a few problems, coupled wheelbase is wrong, both for 45XX, 4575 and 44XX.  the 44XX has the leading and trailing drivers 6" further forward compared to the 45XX.  A lot of Lima 45XX had the pony trucks on wrong with the front one on the back etc.

They are good solid robust bits of kit, that can be made to look good and still be operated by kids without too much danger of them being wrecked beyond repair, unlike the Bachmann.

• RMweb Gold

Mrs Smith is also at home, with the University closed down. As I type this, she has just painted the rear bedroom. 

For me, it's an all-expenses paid trip around the back garden, to resume work on the shed. Self isolation is not a problem here, with our nearest neighbour is across the gardens.

The shed foundations are now done, with the block pillars gone in today. I've laid out the spine of the shed, and the joists go in left & right of that. Once the joists are fixed & trimmed, then it'll be the floor, and finally... The shed....

Once again, my camera skills are carp, but hopefully, you'll still be able to see where I'm headed. 

Stay safe, everybody.

Ian.

IMAG1281.jpg

IMAG1288.jpg

IMAG1290.jpg

Edited by tomparryharry
Poor Spellinge.
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1