DCC Concepts ADS-8SX and ADS2-SX problem

Hi everybody, 

I installed a whole heap of the above units. 

Now I have one of each unit where one output won't work and all I hear is a faint click when I try to get it to throw a point. However if I take the middle black wire out, and then manually touch it on the terminal, hey presto the points change. I have no idea why it does not work when all connected up and screwed in. It's as if it wont let the capacitor recharge and is stuck on. Any ideas?

The ADS-2SX unit that is failing is a brand new unit and I already had the ads-8sx from last year. 

I changed the wires for solid core, incase there was any stray strands in the terminals still didn't fix the issue. 

Edited by toolongtoremember

The only thing I can think of is to ask "what gauge of wire are you using?"  If it is very thin, is it possible that the screw in the terminal is not trapping the wire tightly enoough - or indeed is it too thin to carry the current demanded of the CDU?  I am using an 8SX and two, 2SX - all about 18 months old, and have had no trouble with them.  Could you try a thicker wire - I am using 7/02.  Some years ago I had trouble with an earlier version of these which had no way of discharging the current from the CDUs before changing the connections (eg to swap over the red & green wires) and failure to do that could destroy the unit.  However, that resulted in total failure rather than what you describe.  The current versions have a blue warnig light when the CDUs are charged up, and a button to permit manual discharge before fiddling with the connections - have you been doing that?

Harold.

9 hours ago, HLT 0109 said:

The only thing I can think of is to ask "what gauge of wire are you using?"  If it is very thin, is it possible that the screw in the terminal is not trapping the wire tightly enoough - or indeed is it too thin to carry the current demanded of the CDU?  I am using an 8SX and two, 2SX - all about 18 months old, and have had no trouble with them.  Could you try a thicker wire - I am using 7/02.  Some years ago I had trouble with an earlier version of these which had no way of discharging the current from the CDUs before changing the connections (eg to swap over the red & green wires) and failure to do that could destroy the unit.  However, that resulted in total failure rather than what you describe.  The current versions have a blue warnig light when the CDUs are charged up, and a button to permit manual discharge before fiddling with the connections - have you been doing that?

Harold.

Thanks, the gauge is certainly sufficient as I have used thinner elsewhere, and the ones that aren't working have only around 10cm of wire. I was using the discharge button, but tried it once without and they threw the the point no issue at all. I had even thicker wires in before that only just fit in the terminals, they didn't work either. Tried using a different point motor, still no joy :(

• 1 month later...

I had an issue using Hornby elink because it had a 1 amp transformer supplied with it which ran out of steam when i connected too many accessory decoders. Upgraded to their more powerful transformer and problem solved. Very similar symptoms to yours - disconnecting and reconnecting solving the problem.

• RMweb Gold

I have had this happen to two of mine. If its the same issue, Its where you may have inadvertantly shorted out the wires on the output of the ads8sx to the particular point motor. Usually happens if you change wires over while power is still in the capacitor or its still powered up. All u get is a constant clicking until you disconnect it. When i spoke to dcc concepts, they advised that unfortunately, they cannot be repaired. 

Worth asking them though just in case.

Ian