BR wagon markings, what are they?

2 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

Is that text number 1?

Thanks

No, just script 8-3-3 (i.e., 8 tons, 3 cwt, 3 qtr). There were just different ways of doing it but bear in mind that you'd probably only see one of the forms on the wagon.

Adam

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Adam said:

No, just script 8-3-3 (i.e., 8 tons, 3 cwt, 3 qtr). There were just different ways of doing it but bear in mind that you'd probably only see one of the forms on the wagon.

Adam

Ah right so item 1 is the tare, any clues as to 2 and 3 please?

• Like 1

Just now, mikesndbs said:

Ah right so item 1 is the tare, any clues as to 2 and 3 please?

They're all tare weights, expressed in different ways (and two different weights - apparently identical wagons weighed in differently). The important thing is only to use one!

Adam

Just now, Adam said:

They're all tare weights, expressed in different ways (and two different weights - apparently identical wagons weighed in differently). The important thing is only to use one!

Adam

Oh blimey lol I did not know that, nice one Adam thanks

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

So looking at 2 and 3 which seem to be right for my era, if I am reading it right 8-3 is 8 tons and 3/4

while 8-14 is?

No 

8 ton 3 cwt (hundredweight)

8 ton 14 cwt

You have to think old fashioned!

Some of us still are.......

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, mikesndbs said:

So looking at 2 and 3 which seem to be right for my era, if I am reading it right 8-3 is 8 tons and 3/4

while 8-14 is?

Just 8 tons, 14 cwt (presumably they either rounded down or it came in dead on. It's probably less critical for banana traffic as it's pretty obvious whether the van was empty and the load was unlikely to threaten the safe axle loading.

Adam

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Adam said:

Just 8 tons, 14 cwt (presumably they either rounded down or it came in dead on. It's probably less critical for banana traffic as it's pretty obvious whether the van was empty and the load was unlikely to threaten the safe axle loading.

Adam

Thanks again, it's quite a deal with banana vans as the weight changed when the steam heating equipment was taken out!

So I am looking for the heaviest tate weight 

For some reason bananas were one of the rare commodities where they wanted to go down to quarters, so this correctly shows the tons cwt and quarters which was NOT on the right hand side, but on the yellow spot https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbanana/e28ce3503  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbanana/e3451f31c

Another wagon type which typically had quarters shown were the tank wagons - usually written on the solebar. Indeed this one goes down to lbs (pounds) https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/smbptank/e65b0adab

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

You want steam bananas, much better than diesel...

Indeed so, from what I have found, left side of van will need Steam Banana, number and tones

On the right will be yellow spot and tare.

Top either side but not both will be a fyffes label

12 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

The vans I recall (Avonmouth branch, 1950s, a major traffic) had white spots, but no Fyffes labels (IIRC - it was along time ago!).

Not sure when 'Traders' labels came into use; something makes me think it was a brief period in the late 1950s, until perhaps 1965. The problem was that old ones were seldom completely removed, which made the Merchandise fleet look even more uncared for.