Sentinel Locomotives and Sentinel-Cammell Railcars Their Design and Development

Dava

• RMweb Premium

New book by John Hutchings, 'Sentinel Locomotives and Sentinel-Cammell Railcars Their Design and Development'

Published by the Industrial Railway Society, £39, probably the authoritative work. 348 pages & many drawings & B/W photos apparently.

Some booksellers such as Bill Hudson and Bob Pearman Books are offering this title post-free. IRS charge for postage but members get a discount.

My copy is on order,

Dava

image.png.02111cdf3115328f7acf456bd7233610.png

• Like 2

My copy made it to me out here in Shirley, BC.  I have to say, having read the two other maker specific books on Sentinel (Sentinel Volume I and II, Joe Thomas), that this is a very comprehensive book on the rail side.  It includes some well reproduced diagrams on things like the 25LTS boiler which have some waggon relevance.  (I understand 8122 / OF has one...)

If we could get one on Thomas Hill (hints have been made on the Spherelastic Magic blog), it would fairly well complete the story as best as it is going to be told.  I'm still very curious on the couple of funnies that Metal Industries/Sentinel made right near the end of steam- the Gyro loco, and the Receiver locos for Dorman-Long.  The book above goes into chapter depth of both, but there just isn't enough primary documentation to show why they failed.  I suspect we will never know.

There is also a chapter on the Doble experiments, and the various railcars that were made.  I received a very cryptic email in the mid 1990's about one set or another of them- I think it was to do with the surviving hulk in Argentina at the time.  Nothing ever came of it, unfortunately.

James Powell, (grandson of George Powell, owner Super Sentinel Tractor 7529, 1959-1962)

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, G567281 said:

Peach James,

Is there any mention of the Newfoundland 6 cyl railcars.  The railway had ten of them.  The Corner Brook museum has some great photographs which I looked at a couple of years ago.

Also interested in the Receiver of Dorman-Long.

Book on order.  Hopefully it will arrive in Ontario in a couple of weeks time.

Regards.

There are 2 pages on the Newfoundland Sentinel railcars in the NGRS booklet' 'Pickled Passengers'. I can scan & post if you're interested, I dont know whats in the new book. They had adhesion problems in winter, not surprising with 1 driven axles and the snowy conditions on The Rock!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Quarryscapes said:

Could anyone tell me if it includes drawings of the 100hp Pre War industrial type, like the well known Fry's chocolate one?

There is a side elevation here from the 1932 catalogue, there may be more in the book.

http://sentinel7109.blogspot.com/2012/01/100-hp-sentinel-locos-frys-type.html

I have never seen full drawings of the 100hp pre-war industrial type (of which the LMS had one - 7164, later 7184/47184), only ever the side diagram which the above link links to. That makes me suspect that either they no longer exist or that they exist somewhere where they are inaccessible.

Further to the posts above does the book include a side view drawing of the post war 100hp steam shunter, one like this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinel_Waggon_Works#/media/File%3ASentinel_4wVBTG_at_NRM_York.jpg

I have email the NRM but they cannot at present provide any info.

Cheers

EDIT: I searched the TNA online which gave some info back.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=sentinel+steam+waggon

Edited by PenrithBeacon
Additional info

It is interesting to see the side elevation of the 100HP BE locomotive from the 1931 catalogue. This has been available on other websites but, to the best of my knowledge, no-one has ever commented on the fact that one of the dimensions has been left out, namely the wheelbase, which should be 4ft 9in. As witness I attach a side and end elevation from a later catalogue with the correct figures.

The early 100HP standard gauge BE locomotives were to Sentinel Drawing B232 (in the Chester series) and this is available from the Sentinel Drivers Club, (website www.sentineldriversclub.com) then go into archives tab and Chester Drawings. Details of how to order are there as well.

Later Sentinel locomotives of this type are given to GA drawing 17762, but this is not listed in the Driver's Club archive. 

BE 100HP Loco01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Judging from the wheelbase I think that's a drawing of an NG engine not the Fry's

The side elevation is the same as the drawing from LSWRH16 above, which has the correct w/b dimension. Look at the end view showing the gauge.

On 28/03/2020 at 16:46, H16LSWR said:

It is interesting to see the side elevation of the 100HP BE locomotive from the 1931 catalogue. This has been available on other websites but, to the best of my knowledge, no-one has ever commented on the fact that one of the dimensions has been left out, namely the wheelbase, which should be 4ft 9in. As witness I attach a side and end elevation from a later catalogue with the correct figures.

The early 100HP standard gauge BE locomotives were to Sentinel Drawing B232 (in the Chester series) and this is available from the Sentinel Drivers Club, (website www.sentineldriversclub.com) then go into archives tab and Chester Drawings. Details of how to order are there as well.

Later Sentinel locomotives of this type are given to GA drawing 17762, but this is not listed in the Driver's Club archive. 

BE 100HP Loco01.jpg

Many thanks for that, do you know if there are also documents listing which drawings go with which loco? 

• 1 month later...

Hi Dava, how much is there on the construction of the railcars supplied to the LNER? Most books cover allocation etc but theres very little out there on how they were built.

Thanks

Ralph

Edited by One32
Spellchecker!