NCE PowerCab & Cab numbering

Edward

• RMweb Premium

Got into quite a muddle today over setting up an AEU (DCC Concepts)to control Dapol signals.   I found a solution which worked eventually but purely by trial & error.  But as I can see a few more of these Cabs being needed in the future. I'd like to have a guide to what is correct.

I have a powercab ( Cab No 2) plugged into the ptp panel and 6 wire lead to the 2nd panel (UTP type).  This has a 2nd powercab working as a ProCab (Cab No 3) plus an AEU (Cab No 4) which runs the points.  Now I've added a second AEU which is Cab No 5 to operate the signals. It wouldn't work at either 10 or 6.

But the manual states the range is up to 63.  And also shows page 12 only 3 numbers for "cabs" & 3 for "other accys like Mini panel.  So what is the real effective range available?

There is another irritating property of the system that the second part has to be plugged in only after the lead powercab has started up. I found a section which delays 2nd procab startup.  Do all "Cabs" have to be started in sequence?

Is there a rule for when 4 or 6 wire cords are used?

I realise I've not expressed myself at all clearly but hope someone will be able to help!!

Cheers

Edward

I think there are different limits for the addressing of items on the Cab-bus for a PowerCab based system compared to a full NCE PowerPro system (63 devices).   And possibly different limits depending on the version of the firmware within the PowerCab.    You need to untangle those limits if wanting to setup a lot of devices on the Cab-bus system. 

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Sol said:

6 wire  flat to be used for the first cab plugged into the correct socket, all other cabs must use 4 wire curly cord as described in the Powercab manual.

Not quite:

6 core can be used for other cab/UTP connections, but 6-core must be used for the master Powercab......

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Not quite:

6 core can be used for other cab/UTP connections, but 6-core must be used for the master Powercab......

5 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

I think there are different limits for the addressing of items on the Cab-bus for a PowerCab based system compared to a full NCE PowerPro system (63 devices).   And possibly different limits depending on the version of the firmware within the PowerCab.    You need to untangle those limits if wanting to setup a lot of devices on the Cab-bus system. 

- Nigel

Yes thanks . I can see an upgrade on the horizon.!  Also the comment about 6 wires explains why one lead between UTP & a Cab is a 6 and another is a 4.   Couldn't understand it at all!  So think I've got it for now. 

Cheers

Edward

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BromsMods said:

Hi Edward

Do you know which firmware version is in use in your main PowerCab?  I would expect it to be either 1.28 or 1.65 - you will see this number when you boot the system up.

It's 1.65 !

• RMweb Gold

The Manual for v1.65 on page 24 says: 

Power CabTM Specifications:
Power Input Requirements: 10-15V regulated DC, 3A maximum
Power Connector: 5.5mm x 2.5mm center positive
Track Power Output: Voltage input minus (-) .5 Volt 2 Amps peak
Cabs: 2 maximum plus USB Interface and/or Mini Panel
Number of simultaneous trains: 12
Number of consists: 16 advanced consists of unlimited number of
locomotives each. Plus 4 old style consists up to 2 locos each.
Range of locomotive addresses: 0-9999
Range of consist addresses: 112-127
Range of accessory addresses: 1-2044
Range of signal addresses: 1-2044
Computer interface: USB optional

• Like 1

OK Edward.

The 1.65 Addendum note that I have says:

The PowerCab™ now supports cab addresses 3-5 for a total of 3 external throttles
in addition addresses 8, 9 and 10 may be used for non-throttle type devices such
as AIUs, Mini-Panels or USB interfaces. Regular throttles will not work on address
8, 9 or 10.

The "SET CMD STATION" menu now has an option to change the power-on
timeout that determines how long the ‘ProCab™’ part of the PowerCab™ will wait
for cab bus activity before going into PowerCab mode. This value is in seconds
(approximately) and can be in the range of 1-30. This will ensure the primary
PowerCab™ has a chance to startup before the additional throttles. Factory
default is 4 seconds.

I hope this might clarify some of the issues you were experiencing in the original post.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, BromsMods said:

OK Edward.

The 1.65 Addendum note that I have says:

The PowerCab™ now supports cab addresses 3-5 for a total of 3 external throttles
in addition addresses 8, 9 and 10 may be used for non-throttle type devices such
as AIUs, Mini-Panels or USB interfaces. Regular throttles will not work on address
8, 9 or 10.

The "SET CMD STATION" menu now has an option to change the power-on
timeout that determines how long the ‘ProCab™’ part of the PowerCab™ will wait
for cab bus activity before going into PowerCab mode. This value is in seconds
(approximately) and can be in the range of 1-30. This will ensure the primary
PowerCab™ has a chance to startup before the additional throttles. Factory
default is 4 seconds.

I hope this might clarify some of the issues you were experiencing in the original post.

Beginning to understand what it means.  At the moment I have as follows:

Cab No 2 : The Powercab

Cab No 3 ; The second powercab working as a ProCab. Acts as a sort of a slave.

Cab No 4 :  2 AEUs wired in series so counting as one. Runs the points control board using Alpha Switches D.

Cab No 5:  1 AEU which similarly runs the Dapol signals. 

If I'd understood this from the start I could have combined 4 & 5 and saved one number. However hindsight is always perfect!   Looking at what the NCE makes available,  the SB5 booster would double the cab slots available.  Maybe there are other compatible (& cheaper ) options out there? 

In the meantime my plan will be to gradually get enough AEUs & Alpha Switches to build the final board for the terminus/goods yard.  Or use most of the macro slots to make it easier instead/as well.  In the year or so that's going to take, perhaps a piece of fancy kit may come along to solve the problem.

Thanks very much for everyones help.

Edward