Heapton Colliery Quayside

OliverRowley

Hello all,

Welcome to the first layout build on here. And if I'm being completely honest my first full layout build.

The layout has been designed to fit inside a storage container (from B&M I believe) with another container for: controllers, stock and fiddle yard.  This is so it can easily transported to (and dare I say hidden) whilst I am away at university. Due to the boxes size the layout is under some size constraints. As such the layouts rough size is 47cm x 27cm x 13cm. 

Strange size I know, but it is enough for me to have what I would like to within a layout.

Speaking for which here is the plan:

DSC_0506.JPG.edf6bc112fde1148aa01d593c55677f1.JPG

In summary a siding that sits on the canal, with another for storage and a tiny loco servicing area to replenish the colliery's loco fleet that have found themselves in this remote part of the network. The 'play-ability' is a little shunting (from the 2 'longer' sidings) and some light loco movements to the servicing area. All encased in a industrial canal area with warehouses etc. 

The track is down and the canal is being built up, but please feel free to leave a comment anything good, bad or ugly!

Ta 

OR  

• Informative/Useful 1

Here is the plan somewhat in action:DSC_0509.JPG.2306dc6f050cc2b513a889e68fea2ef1.JPG

I know tiny!

Here the canal is being built up and the track work is in place. The servicing area is beginning to take place. Currently the intention is that coal will be kept in a old grounded wagon (maybe the one in the picture after some work), water being kept in a Dapol diary wagon's tanker and the diesel. Well I'm yet to find something I like to hold the diesel. Any suggestions?

Whilst I'm here I'll show some of my other pictures from the mini photo shoot I did today- apologies for any strange focus, I've only got a landscape lends on the camera so not ideal. Anyways....

DSC_0512.JPG.68a005db1d3a3504d00da66923ac4fe8.JPGEx-BR Hunslet 05 eases in a typical rake of 3 internal user wagons to the quayside. The wagons are waiting on the driver or secondman to open the side doors on the wagons so the coal can be loaded into the coal barge. 

*Also that pen mark is horrible any ideas on how to remove?*

DSC_0516.JPG.3fbd36ce607d01a051cba803b0b07785.JPG

The biggest member of the Heapton Colliery fleet was used to plan the layout. Here a Class 14 sits in the head shunt of the servicing area and shows how it fits. I doubt I'll ever use anything bigger so I'm pretty happy with how it looks! 

DSC_0514.JPG.82284af6bf09dc4126d04a055d9a5665.JPG

Here Peckett's W4 & B2 sit with again the common 3 internal users. Again I think this shows that even with the size there's a fair bit to play about with!

DSC_0513.JPG.caa60f4ee00efa1f29aa9e79f2c3c619.JPG

From the biggest member of the fleet (in the form of the Class 14) to the smallest the lovely 48DS, which eases into the siding with an equally tiny engineers train. Hopefully, these none coal trains will brake up the trains of 3-4 mineral wagons which will very much be the staple of the layout!

• Like 1

DSC_0508.JPG.02e414f741cb67ff910cba354c831491.JPG

DSC_0523.JPG.66a45d73a9247cc54bb076b0243d2b2f.JPG

These last 2 show the layouts size with trains on it. I've had a play and with a smaller loco (i.e a W4, Ruston and probably an Andrew Barclay) I can fit 4 6/7 plank wagons. Although this is subject to change dependent on what Kadee's I end up adopting as a standard. 

As per any comments would be gratefully : good, bad or indeed ugly

Ta 

OR

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Erm yeah, this thread will be resurrected and so will the layout. Currently on the way to the potteries is a scale model scenery wrapping paper box baseboard. 

Currently I have 2 plans in mind (see below) both have coal chutes (something I wish I had done on the original layout) and lean further into the Light Railway with multiple industries being served idea, with a proper loading bay for the other industry at the quayside and as such allowing a varied services to operate. Any suggestions feel free!

Oh and I'm ridding myself of that second point as it didn't add anything to the layout and made it loom too overcrowded.  

6251416_IMG_18491.JPG.50cec73c8bf62c724afd76c00aa756d3.JPG373118344_IMG_18501.JPG.32c066132e963d5f3474ab53a7c3859a.JPG

Thanks 

Olly