Neils weathering and detailing of diesel locos...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Neil,

Just been looking at your 47’s. The “splatter” effect just doesn’t look right to my eyes, and I could find no photos of 47’s with it on...what picture(s) did you use as reference? (It looks more like it has been on a 4 x 4 test circuit...perhaps there is a line somewhere that has mud on it!)

Tommo

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/12/2020 at 12:58, Struck2soon said:

Neil,

Just been looking at your 47’s. The “splatter” effect just doesn’t look right to my eyes, and I could find no photos of 47’s with it on...what picture(s) did you use as reference? (It looks more like it has been on a 4 x 4 test circuit...perhaps there is a line somewhere that has mud on it!)

Tommo

Dont think you looked very hard then Tommo  as i used this pictures of petrol subsector 47190 for the loco above and oh no this had mud on it too must have been 4x4 too 

take it you dont no your dirty locos to well.

thanks for poor comment,look forward to your work on here now..

49F9801D-9E4A-4AC0-852E-C57D5E588015.png

Few more dirty looking or should i say “mudy” 37s :D on the workbench this week.

starting with 37043 ive just resprayed up in dutch transrail finish.

ues to spot this one back in the day so now have it for Colmore TMD and Banks road ...

7DF3D2AB-5103-4F76-B745-DE86770744A9.jpeg

5A205452-E8FE-4442-8320-71A34C5AF12A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Neil,

Thanks for the link to the prototype photo showing the “splatter” effect. I have to say though that your model doesn’t quite capture the original, it is just a bit too heavy-handed. The golden rule is to try and copy what you see on the photo, not what you see in your head. (We call that “fantasy weathering”, and although it can be a fun thing to do it will invariably look not quite right.

I always try hard to work from a photo. You requested an example of my models, so let me try to upload a couple of images...I will put a prototype image with it as well to allow you to decide if I have captured the right look. (And yes, I do like dirty locos but only if they are like that in real life!)

5BC56038-595E-438B-9175-2A271BC8283F.jpeg

5E0071BA-109F-4CEC-97AE-4A5138654955.jpeg

Edited by Struck2soon
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

12 hours ago, Struck2soon said:

Neil,

Thanks for the link to the prototype photo showing the “splatter” effect. I have to say though that your model doesn’t quite capture the original, it is just a bit too heavy-handed. The golden rule is to try and copy what you see on the photo, not what you see in your head. (We call that “fantasy weathering”, and although it can be a fun thing to do it will invariably look not quite right.

I always try hard to work from a photo. You requested an example of my models, so let me try to upload a couple of images...I will put a prototype image with it as well to allow you to decide if I have captured the right look. (And yes, I do like dirty locos but only if they are like that in real life!)

If i dont like someones modelling i tend to move on and not leave poor “silly comments” on there progress threads like you have here.

so i wil say no more think you should make your own weathering thread and not keep posting on mine here 

thank you..,

Edited by saxokid

14 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I've had a look around and there is a sample here:

565B026B-1621-4C1B-A154-426E3287904D

I guess not everybody shows their work on RMweb.

People should make there own

Weathering thread not use other members progress thread to post theres Mick Boneick

12 hours ago, Struck2soon said:

Neil,

Can you post on your own progress thread please and not mine 

Thank you 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, saxokid said:

People should make there own

Weathering thread not use other members progress thread to post theres Mick Boneick

Sorry, Neil. It was not my intention to upset you. I intended to show that not everybody shows their work on RMweb, and included a link to the photograph which is elsewhere (flickr). I should have checked that the link, rather than the photograph, was displayed in my post. I have now edeited my post to include only the link.

I agree that people should post their own work on their own thread/topic and I don't always like my own being hi-jacked. The unfortunate thing is that there is nothing that can be done to stop it, so I just accept it and, as you suggest above, move on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Sorry, Neil. It was not my intention to upset you. I intended to show that not everybody shows their work on RMweb, and included a link to the photograph which is elsewhere (flickr). I should have checked that the link, rather than the photograph, was displayed in my post. I have now edeited my post to include only the link.

I agree that people should post their own work on their own thread/topic and I don't always like my own being hi-jacked. The unfortunate thing is that there is nothing that can be done to stop it, so I just accept it and, as you suggest above, move on.

I look over lots of members work on here over the years mick,some is great and others arnt but everyone had there limits!! i dont leave negative comments about peoples modelling skills. Like its mud and should be on 4x4 track.

Struck2soon (Andrew thompson) 

then take over there progress thread with pictures about being better with his work.

Find this very insulting and yes im not happy.

Think he should setup his own working thread rather than take over this one to make himself feel great by putting other modellers down.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...