Enlargement of images

Not sure if it's me or not. Once I've added an image, I could always click on the image via my Mac or iPad and that allowed an enlargement and you could scan into the smallest detail. I've noticed a few times now that clicking on an image just takes me the image page as normal, but the actual image is completely blacked out.

Even within my own thread, Eastwood Town, images on page 179 are OK, but those posted on 183/184 are not.

Is it something I've done?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon,

As usual, it's the crappy Invision forum software.

In the latest version, clicked images from a post are now displayed in a responsive slideshow (which doesn't zoom properly), but it's not working with your shed plan photos because they are taller than wide, so it just blacks out, with no explanation.

To see/zoom them in Firefox (other browsers are available), right click on the image and View Image:

gordon_zoom_firefox.jpg.51459e62e1a6548796033e2ed0bd5043.jpg

If you hold down the Shift key while clicking, it will open in a separate window instead of a separate tab, and then any CTRL+ROLL zooming you do won't affect the page zoom back in the original tab.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Gordon,

As usual, it's the crappy Invision forum software.

In the latest version, clicked images from a post are now displayed in a responsive slideshow (which doesn't zoom properly), but it's not working with your shed plan photos because they are taller than wide, so it just blacks out, with no explanation.

To see/zoom them in Firefox (other browsers are available), right click on the image and View Image:

gordon_zoom_firefox.jpg.51459e62e1a6548796033e2ed0bd5043.jpg

If you hold down the Shift key while clicking, it will open in a separate window instead of a separate tab, and then any CTRL+ROLL zooming you do won't affect the page zoom back in the original tab.

cheers,

Martin.

I did notice the zoom doesn't seem to work any more, Martin.  I used to be able to open up Gilbert's photos to marvellously large sizes - and I specifically left some of my own shots big so others could.  But now, it seems when you click the +magnifying glass on the image, it  expands very little.  :(

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, jukebox said:

I did notice the zoom doesn't seem to work any more, Martin.  I used to be able to open up Gilbert's photos to marvellously large sizes - and I specifically left some of my own shots big so others could.  But now, it seems when you click the +magnifying glass on the image, it  expands very little.

Hi Scott,

Yes, it's a by-product of the trend to make web sites "responsive". That means they adjust themselves to fit nicely on different-sized devices, from a mobile phone to a wide-screen monitor. But that means they can't easily be zoomed.

Try using the method I mentioned above, which extracts the image from the responsive page and allows zooming. It should work in most browsers. But it can't work if the forum software has resized large images on the server after uploading. In that case the best way is to upload them somewhere else, and hot-link them into your post. The "somewhere else" may need to be a paid-for account to allow that.

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Informative/Useful 1

I don’t have the View Image on my Mac or iPad but have no problem now enlarging images if I right click or hold my finger down on the iPad and select ‘Open in New Window’ which then works fine.

Thanks for your help, Martin

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

Just a further update. It all seems a bit random. Sometimes it works as normal and other times not. I'm now finding even right clicking on Open in New Window brings up a white page whereas just clicking on the image brings up a black page. Refreshing the page sometimes helps.

I can live with it, but felt reporting it to the web developers could be of interest.