Locomotive storage boxes with no handling

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

DCC Concepts now have a range of drive-off loco cassettes  here

Yes, they have been around for quite a while but for some reason with the upgraded design (improved foam = EVA), the price has doubled.

It will be interesting to see what price the the new Peco PT-60 and PT-61 come in at and just how many can be coupled together whilst maintaining rigidity. And of course if the new design would fit into the shoe boxes as explained above.

• 2 months later...
On 10/07/2021 at 11:34, zr2498 said:

I will add to the job list as a fair bit of work needed to explain all.

The brass strips are basically a spring loaded lever arm. At one end it is pushed up and let down by a pin which protrudes through the underside of the cassette. At the other end is an arm set at 90 gegrees with a rubber buffer fitted over wire. As the cassette is loaded onto the telescopic deck the pin pushes to lever up = down at the buffer end so that stock can run through the end of the cassette. As soon as the cassette is lifted the opposite happens and the buffer comes up. This is set at buffer height of the rolling stock and prevents the unwanted unloading out of the ends. The same could be achieved by pieces of foam but wanted an auto system (to see what could be achieved), and one less job to do when changing stock.

Dave

Interested in "How did you construct the tubes ? " I need to create something similar. Thanks

• RMweb Gold
On 20/09/2021 at 22:58, zr2498 said:

Just got this notification. I'll send some info tomorrow, but just confirming you would like details base, walls and lids of the cassettes?

Dave

Here is a close up of the end of a cassette to give an idea of the construction.

DSC01212.JPG.865a21a2c2cb58996c90ec1c58988fc4.JPG

You will see a length of 9mm MDF forming the base of the cassette. This is painted with an outdoor wood paint to ensure it is waterproof and stable. Width is 55m, and I have made 15 at 1700mm length and 15 at 1400mm length.

This is bolted to aluminium angle 1 in x 3/4 in x 1/16 in (1" is on the vertical).

The walls of the cassette are Perspex, 2mm thickness and 65mm high. The strips were cut from sheet using a clamped (long) straight edge for a guide line and many passes with an Olfa cutter.

The track is screwed to the MDF with the ends sitting on the copper clad, and being finely adjustable about a pivot point to finalise alignment.

Here are some pictures of materials used.

DSC01224.JPG.8876a6b42180a29cfdc1cd31c9b7fe56.JPG

DSC01225.JPG.135f15201e64a8edb3dda8b37a93845f.JPG

Straps and handles were also made. Bolted to the inside of the perspex and fixed across the top via screwed rod.

DSC01227.JPG.715203f4b75949b0da4036aedd321de5.JPG

1429782479_DSC01232(1).JPG.4f1cb5dfc99dc89f79b92f659585611e.JPG

Removable lids have been added to the tops of the cassettes. In 3 pieces, centre and either side of the handles.

The lids clip onto the top by means of plastic angle sections which are attached to the lid via strong 2 sided tape.

Notes:

I preferred to have track rather than the aluminium profile for current pick up. The aluminium can become corroded causing poor power transfer and it also allowed the fine alignment needed for system I was using.

The other advantage is that isolation is not needed for the handles (to prevent shock).

All fixings of the cassette are bolted, so if I was crazy enough they could be totally dismantled.

Thin plastic washers are used wherever a fixing comes into contact with the perspex (to prevent potential cracking).

Holes for fixing over such a long length need to have some clearance to allow for differential expansion.

Precise alignment of the cassettees to track is done by dowels underneath the cassette, with the cassette able to float in the length direction (again to allow expansion).

Fixing dowels.

DSC01228.JPG.4f02eaf24bbff30d1eef276a2323c7d6.JPG

Hopefully this gives enough of a flavour for how it was done. If more details are needed I will dig out the info.

Dave

Edited by zr2498
Replacing photos
  • Thanks 1