Wellington Road Goods Depot, Stockport (and Scrap Yard)

Ralf

• RMweb Gold

Hi Folks, 

A sudden interest in Wellington Road Goods Depot, Stockport and actually even more so in the later Scrapyard has been energised by the thread below. After any info and pics of the yard and subsequent scrapyard. The yard originally seems to be an extension of Georges Road Sidings. See NLS map here: https://maps.nls.uk/view/101104214 - zoom in, extreme right hand side, approx 1/2 way up... 

Any pointers for information would be very much appreciated especially of it's latter days... 

Many thanks
Ralf

ps I see HMRS have two images available of "Wellington Road Goods Station & Tunnel" and "Wellington Road Goods Station" from 1970 which I shall go and purchase copies of...

Edited by Ralf

The Industrial Railway Society's "Industrial Locomotives 1979" has the yard down for Lowton Metals Ltd (Railway Street) and lists Ruston Hornsby 4wDM (408492 of 1956 - shown out of use) and Hibberd 4wDM (3863 of 1957) which was operational as 4006.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ralf,

Have you come across this thread:

I started an N Gauge model of Stockport Tiviot Dale many moons ago so have a certain fondness for the area. It will be interesting to see how you get on with this project.

Regards

Simon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/03/2020 at 22:55, 65179 said:

Have you come across this thread:

Thanks Simon, I hadn't no. 

As for Arnie Furniss thanks @nigb55009 and @65179 here's another belter: 

25184 on T29, Georges Rd scrap yard - June, 1978

EDIT - Realised this is actually taken in George's Road Sidings, was thrown by the industrial in the shot, clearly the scrap man had chosen to park it on the other side of the viaduct in the day in question! 

But here in lies a bit of a problem as to the sites identity both officially and otherwise as already I have:

Wellington Road Goods Depot (Barry Norman)

Wellington Road Goods Station (HMRS)

Georges Road Scrap Yard (Arnie Furniss - on Flickr, see above)

Lowton Metals Ltd (IRS via @SP Steve)

I'm guessing it was officially Wellington Road Goods but Arnie refers to it as Georges Road Scrap yard as it was simply a continuation of Georges Road Sidings which were the other side of the viaduct. With Lowton Metals being the Scrap Merchant who took over the site at some point in time. 

All info very welcome, I'm off to read the CLC thread...

Ralf

Edited by Ralf
A realisation of where the photo was taken!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The site was divided in two by the mainline at Georges Rd Jct. Wellington Rd Goods Depot/Station was under the viaduct and on the south side of the line and was accessed from the goods lines serving Heaton Mersey Sidings.  Thus Wellington Rd was separate from Georges Rd Goods which is shown on at least one early map as Georges Road coal depot and lay to the north of the line.  This is the area shown in the 2 Arnie Furniss photographs. Clubhouse sidings were then immediately west of Georges Rd on the same side of the line. Beyond Clubhouse sidings was Faulders siding serving the Cadbury Fry distribution depot (previously Faulders Preserve Works). Greg Fox in his book on Tiviot Dale (https://booklaw.co.uk/shop/index.php?id_product=2050&controller=product&id_lang=1)

and environs records Georges Rd and Wellington Rd Goods as closing to the public on 30 September 1967 with Georges Rd then continuing in use as private sidings for a scrap merchant initially A. Henshaw & Son. I suspect much of the confusion comes about because in railway (track) terms the two depots are distinct, but road access to Georges Rd sidings (as far as it was possible) was via the Wellington Rd Goods depot entrance on Wellington Rd or via the adjacent Queen/Railway St.

Edited by 65179
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, 65179 said:

records Georges Rd and Wellington Rd Goods as closing to the public on 30 September 1967 with Georges Rd then continuing in use as private sidings for a scrap merchant initially A. Henshaw & Son.

<SNIP>

Road access to Georges Rd sidings (as far as it was possible) was via the Wellington Rd Goods depot entrance on Wellington Rd or via the adjacent Queen/Railway St.

Thanks @65179 I shall need to mull over this, and study what I can lay my hands on photo-wise which is so far limited.

Do you have any idea when Wellington Road Good Station building was demolished? Did it pass into the hands of the scrap men? 

Further to my edit above, I realise the Arnie Furniss photographs above (25 and the 40) are both in Georges Road Sidings with the embankment and viaduct behind. Has anyone got any info / pics on what lay on the other side? Maps can only help so much... 

Thanks

Ralf

Edited by Ralf

• RMweb Premium

Try the Stockport Image Archive:

https://www.stockport.gov.uk/stockport-image-archive

The (very) few pictures I've seen all come from the Stockport Library collection. I've not looked since it was all catalogued in card files though.

The site seems to be down at the moment.

The book I referenced includes one of these views and may show a heap of scrap just the other side of the viaduct from the depot building shortly after closure.  The lines leading to the goods station appear to have gone before the end of steam.

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, 65179 said:

Try the Stockport Image Archive:

https://www.stockport.gov.uk/stockport-image-archive

Thanks Simon, for the link and information all round... Off to play with Templot! I suspect there'll be a model goods depot or scrap yard coming to life over the coming months / years based on Wellington Rd. 

Thanks

Ralf

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 08/04/2020 at 20:04, dph1883 said:

this is a fascinating subject. Have you had any more thoughts about modelling Wellington Road Goods Depot?

Thanks, yes and no... I’m going to leave this as project 2 in a (likely) Tim Horn photobox baseboard that’s fairly square - eg 3ft x 2ft with a sector plate fiddle yard. 

Whereas project 1 in the SMS BB017 will be probably quayside and hopefully perhaps scrap inspired, so there’ll be lots of learn that I can transfer to using for when I do Wellington Road justice which I cannot do in a shallow baseboard. 

Another stumbling block is the HMRS cannot currently access the photographs to scan due to COVID-19. 

So it’ll happen (and I’m useless at actually doing anything) but I’m quite determined so all I need to do is sort out a shelf-esque scrapyard layout for now then Wellington Road should be easier to actually realise! 

Ralf 

• Like 1

On 08/04/2020 at 20:04, dph1883 said:

Hi Ralph this is a fascinating subject. Have you had any more thoughts about modelling Wellington Road Goods Depot?

Hi Ralph, I found this aerial shot of 'old' Stockport which shows the line running through the viaduct to Wellington Road Goods Depot. Two lines also run through the adjacent arch to form what looks like a small coal yard?

The main lines that drop into the tunnel lead to Tiviot Dale Station.

Hope you find it interesting.

image.png.11263df60a0766e0d6c19c4a4aacc75b.png

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, dph1883 said:

Hope you find it interesting.

image.png.11263df60a0766e0d6c19c4a4aacc75b.png

Wow thank you, where was the image? Looks a bit like Britain from Above but I didn't find it when I looked! 

Looks hard to model the whole lot beyond the viaduct as the goods shed will be one heck of a view blocker! 

Many thanks

Ralf

36 minutes ago, Ralf said:

Wow thank you, where was the image? Looks a bit like Britain from Above but I didn't find it when I looked! 

Looks hard to model the whole lot beyond the viaduct as the goods shed will be one heck of a view blocker! 

Many thanks

Ralf

If you operate from the front then the goods shed at the back, the viaduct on the right and a stone wall on the left create excellent scenic breaks.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

If you operate from the front then the goods shed at the back, the viaduct on the right and a stone wall on the left create excellent scenic breaks.

True @woodenhead, although there's not going to be a huge amount of operating potential in two sidings worth of scrap yard! 

Thanks also for the google 3D view, basically it's all changed except the viaduct! 

Ralf