The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Clapping for Carers

didcot

So why do it, particularly when I’m not aware of any NHS workers within earshot of where I live?

First it demonstrates shared values among neighbours.   It lets me see which of my neighbours are “public spirited” enough to join in.  It cements friendship between us.

Secondly it teaches family values and involves my daughters.  They learn that we appreciate those who are taking risks on our behalf - and the message will stay with them.  (I’ve mentioned poppies before, and a similar thing applies - it’s more than some money and a token to wear - it’s honouring and engaging with the people who have come to represent our history).

Thirdly, friends in the NHS know we are doing it, even just a small gesture, out of respect for them.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5

All very well applauding the front line carers but what about those behind the scenes who make their work possible? Seemingly totally forgotten! No trains, no buses, no carers! Seemples!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Those of us maintaining our full bus services to the towns and villages we serve provide that little link with reality that is missing from many lives. Seeing the bus pass the door at the same time every hour, every day is a reassurance for many of those who need that indication of normality.

I am deeply indebted to my crews for maintaining their timings and services through remote areas of Devon.

They may not get the public recognition of a round of applause but they are deserving of everyone's thanks.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

All very well applauding the front line carers but what about those behind the scenes who make their work possible? Seemingly totally forgotten! No trains, no buses, no carers! Seemples!

Transport workers are the forgotten among all the key workers - all those who are not able to stay home - needed to keep the country functioning at all.  Van and lorry drivers, taxi drivers, rail, bus and tram drivers, conductors and (in some cases) ticket office, platform and security staff.  Plus the many signallers, controllers, supervisors and planners who cannot work from home, engineering staff and those who come broadly under the railway's term of "Orange Army" and who continue to carry out routine and emergency repairs and safety checks.  

The Clap is for all.  For health workers of course but also for everyone who cannot stay home and keeps things moving.  

Being on that front line myself it is very encouraging and uplifting to receive the thanks of those who still need to travel and who rely upon (in my case) the trains to get them to and from work.  And in some cases their nearest shops as well.  These are challenging times but many many staff across the country and around the world continue to turn up for work, no questions asked, and carry on in as nearly normal a manner as they can for the benefit of all.

Accept the applause.  It is for all.  

• Like 5
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Phil, when you report a post and select the 'inappropriate' it automatically hides it. The posts weren't inappropriate, you disagree with them and on several occasions you've quoted what has been automatically hidden which defeats the object and causes me more work.

I do get grumpy out of hours, more than usual.

Sorry I did not know that. Thank you.

On 03/04/2020 at 17:34, Sprintex said:

Dunkirk spirit, or sheep mentality? ;)

Depends on your point of view

I'm sorry you think that. If it wasn't for your so called sheep mentality a great many people, myself included, wouldn't be here to exercise their freedom of speech. 

When I started the thread it was to highlight a simple action that could be undertaken by many to show our appreciation for those doing their bit. Even more so now considering the terrible deaths of NHS workers in the last 24 hours that have have left young families without mothers. I know they aren't the only deaths and each one this virus takes away is cruel. 

Not all of us are able to help. But I think a coming together to show our appreciation goes along way.

Edited by didcot
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I think anyone and everyone doing their bit deserves appreciation. Regardless of what they are doing or their position (senior or junior) or whether frontline or backroom. 

That people deserve appreciation is not the issue,  I don't think anybody questions that. However you can even see in this thread it is quite divisive, all animal's are equal but some are more equal than others. So we'll say the appreciation is for everyone, in which case it becomes a bit meaningless in my opinion and in effect we are clapping for ourselves which is not something I would like to do. 

And there is a bit of culture emerging (I am not accusing anyone here,  but I read news, observe others etc) that if you appreciate carers then you clap, so if you don't clap you don't care and there is something wrong which is really rather objectionable. If people want to clap then clap, but don't assume that those not clapping don't care about or appreciate people.

I had a few comments from seafarers last week saying that they don't want to be patronised by being made into mini-hero types, they just want to be seen as human beings (and allowed to go home at the end of their tour or get medical treatment if needed,  neither of which is likely for many of them).

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

I've not done the clapping thing, not that I don't respect everyone doing such a job. I work IT support in the food industry and we as a company are important too. What I think key workers would appreciate is a little more respect in future. Rather than thinking shop workers, lorry drivers, delivery drivers etc etc are un or low skilled workers, maybe giving them an ounce of respect and not going back to treating them like crap will go much further. Allow people to be paid suffiently for their full time jobs and allow them the freedom to have their own homes, support their families and enjoy life that little bit more.

I have great respect for the NHS, and many countries look up to us for it. Instead of clapping, maybe some more substantial support would be nice?

It might not be a popular opinion, but its an honest one. I'm also not an unreasonable person and don't think any less of people for clapping, but I feel its not enough.

Edited by Coldgunner
  • Like 2
  • Agree 6

2 hours ago, didcot said:

I'm sorry you think that. If it wasn't for your so called sheep mentality a great many people, myself included, wouldn't be here to exercise their freedom of speech. 

Very devious, now you're twisting it to sound like I'm not appreciative of those that fought for said freedom of speech in two world wars. That's not what I said.

I am very aware of the sacrifice made then, just as I'm very aware of the current hard work being done to keep us cared for in homes and hospitals, fed via the shops and supply chains, and all the other necessary services like emptying our bins, policing our streets, etc.

I still maintain that this clapping rubbish is just a social media self-publicity exercise for most like everything else these days, just so they can say loudly that they joined in. As JJB suggested above, we don't all feel the need to make a public show, doesn't mean we care or appreciate any less though.

Paul

PS: I have worked as an HGV driver in the past, mostly for the major supermarkets, so yes I have experienced first-hand how a lot of the public treats such vital workers as something brown and smelly on their shoe!

Edited by Sprintex
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

No not devious and I resent the implication!

Like I have said I started this thread to highlight the clapping. That's it pure and simple. Nothing else.

Note to self don't bother in the future!

• Friendly/supportive 7

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Sprintex said:

this clapping rubbish is just a social media self-publicity exercise

Tosh. Some of us will do it simply to show appreciation, no self-aggrandisement or being present for a roll call so please don't insult my motives.

I appreciate the efforts and sacrifice for so many through history and have shaken the hands of some. We now have our own heroes in many walks of life who aren't far removed from those in history- Mother Theresa supporting the poor, Florence Nightingale holding the hands of those of we can't, Marie Curie and Alexander Fleming searching for a cure - they are out there tonight.

And many of us will do more than clap. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

When this clapping thing started the other week the thing which immediately sprang to mind was the Kipling poem "Tommy".

Despite 130 years having elapsed and it focussing on a different profession, it is particularly appropriate in this context and I'd make any wager that it still will be when this is all over.

• Agree 3

Isn’t the answer to all the angst that thread has surfaced pretty simple?

If you want to clap, clap. If you don’t, don’t.

There is ‘social norming’ around it, but it remains everyone’s right to let that bounce off them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Beware of the ACME Thunderer!

Kev.

:)

I believe whistles have been currently banned on the railway as they are unhygienic........

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I believe whistles have been currently banned on the railway as they are unhygienic........

Following risk assessments the use of whistles has been temporarily suspended during the Covid-19 period.  As there are far fewer passengers travelling there is a much better view for the train crew along the platform and for those station still having dispatch staff they too can see more easily that all is well.  There is little need to alert the tiny number of passengers to the imminent departure.

Whistles, unlike some other railway equipment such as two-way radios, hand microphones and (in some locations) dispatch bats, are not shared.  There is a small chance that a staff member may be unaware they are infected and can spread the virus by means of the saliva which is emitted from the mouth when blowing the whistle and which emerges - often under some pressure - from the business end when the whistle is blown.  It isn't a big risk but in a safety-conscious environment if a risk exists and cannot be eliminated it has to be mitigated.  

Whistles will be back when the time is right.  In the meantime all staff have been advised to call out warnings if required.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Mother Terasa  Anjezë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu in real life, is probably not one of the best examples of people who did good works - unless encouraging people to rejoice in the pain that their god gave them is a good thing of course.

Anyway, as some of the neighbours were doing the seal thing,  I thought Id go out and join in (its not like I'm not grateful to the NHS)

I casually reminded the Neighbour (haha we sortta get on sometimes)  that in a small, quiet way I had previously  done quite a bit of work for and on behalf of the NHS for about 18 years -She said in all seriousness that Capital Projects dont count....

OK, so  just remind me, where exactly do Doctors and Nurse do their thing??  Im sure its not in local church halls.

just made me laugh, tis all ;)

Edited by LBRJ
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm an NHS employee, not front line medical staff (you wouldn't want that) and it's nice to think that the current situation has reminded people that the doctors, nurses and other clinical staff do not work in a vacuum.  There are a lot of 'backroom' people who help keep things running.

It is very nice to hear and take part in the applause.  I'm not after any praise or awards, I'm just doing my job, but it is nice to think that I'm doing my (very small) part to help in a very strange situation.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

working a train into Trafford park earlier, Manchester United’s ground is lit up blue but the finishing touch is they have switched some of the illuminated letters off in ‘Manchester’ so the neon sign reads “N H S UNITED” 

now that I do like, very clever

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-tribute-nhs-old-trafford-blue-coronavirus-a4415576.html

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I noted our neighbours out clapping this evening, this is the same neighbours who ignored the 'stay at home' advice and went off for a week at their caravan last week.

The irony that they may be at greater risk of being a recipient of NHS care and putting those that deliver it at greater risk, would be lost on them :rolleyes:

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1