The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Clapping for Carers

didcot

• RMweb Premium

I've mentioned my two daughters before, both Senior Sisters (I'm a proud Dad!) in the NHS. One has spent 12 days non stop setting up Infection Control at her Trust. She is now at home exhusted and a suspected case. She is fine though and can't wait to get back. 

For the avoidance of doubt - they absolutely loved the clapping and were both moved to tears to know that people were thinking of them and their colleagues. I guess there are many other essential workers too that deserve our thanks but front line NHS staff are in harms way and will be caring for those that will die and that takes a huge demand on the psychological well being of staff.

Both of them also fell off thier chairs laughing when they texted "Do you know we have both had the clap" on the family group.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, SHMD said:

For me, tonight's effort will be for all working to get us through this.

I don't think it would be wise to have a designated group associated with a particular night - the difference in participation may put some essential workers off!

Kev.

Let's hope a hell of a lot more folk that do work for us and not just for their own profit, become a lot more appreciated after all this. For too long many things and many people have been taken for granted. Who, maybe apart from us, when travelling by train, think of the Signallers, or when driving somewhere, the Breakdown person that has to turn out in the middle of the night to come a 'save' you. Or that person that loads the truck or drives the truck that brings the goods to the shop to be unloaded and where where we expect everything to be there exactly where it should be on the shelf and always when we need it.

I have detected a hell of a lot of "well that's their job" attitudes the last few years. That's got to change and if it doesn't then that is going to cause unrest and I certainly hope it does. Certain employers are going to get a shock methinks, unless they change their attitude to how staff are treated. Ashley has even taken a U Turn and made an apology; things must be on the up!

Could this Country become more genuinely 'friendly' and empathetic towards others, 'difference' and ability? Could nasty extreme types cease to get lauded by certain groups and are actually vilified by the media? Those would be silver linings.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Once again tonight @ 8:00 UK time.

Show your appreciation and solidarity in the street folks.

Kev.

• Agree 3

Ready for tonight’s applause!!!

Ps- I was in the attic modelling last week and got the call from the rest of the family that it was time! Opened the velux window and led the applause from the roof! Much to the delight of the staff from the care home at the rear of our property that had appeared at their main entrance!:clapping_mini:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I thought last weeks effort fantastic and very moving.  
Probably as much to do with the morale of the clappers as the clapped?

I will do the same in a few minutes time but I fancy that if it becomes a regular occurrence it may lose its meaning and value.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

There have been critics of this sort of thing...…..however, I am of the opinion that it shows 'solidarity'. #### the political jibes about salving some voter's consciences. 'Normal' politics does not exist at the moment and I truly believe the way Government works could well have to change after this. Not for here though and God bless all those that are caring every time they go to work, whether they be a Consultant or a Porter or Cleaner. There is a huge message that must be forced onto Ministers after this and they had better listen.

Also, anyone that is working as the rest of us are hibernating, thank you a million times thank you, may you go safe and stay well.

Goodnight all and take care.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Far more people applauding than last Thursday.

Yes of course it mist be done safely just like everything else at the momen. Here in London's suburbia) we have front gardens and nobody was anything like as close as two metres- six to eight metres was more like it; and most people- including me- applauded from their front doors.

Two people in my (not) flying group are deserving of thanks, one a surgeon and the other one of the army team that built the Nightingale Hospital. I've just sent them both thankyou emails.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I would say turnout was (just) slightly less loud than last weeks effort BUT there were more participants this time.

I have already spoken to my 12yr son and we have decided what is needed is an "ACME Thunderer" *.

Kev.

(* The ACME Thunderer is normally kept under lock and key away from my son for obvious reasons!)

• Like 2

Well supported in our neck of the woods, clapping, banging pans, ringing bells, barking dogs...

52 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I have already spoken to my 12yr son and we have decided what is needed is an "ACME Thunderer"

I shall get out my Acme (Hudsons&Co) ARP whistle for next week!

I don't think the community will worry that an air raid is imminent......

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A bit quieter than last week, sadly the “novelty” might be wearing off. Still a decent noise, with I guess about one in five houses taking part.

Reminds me that quite a few people never buy poppies.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

There are many key workers keeping things going outside of the NHS. I have to go into food factories regularly where people don’t  wear masks (mainly because they are so hard to get hold of even for big companies in key industries) or social distance effectively due to labour intensive nature of the business. It is frightening thinking about the risk but the wheels need to keep turning.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Administrators
On 27/03/2020 at 10:03, Mallard60022 said:

I think there are many groups, as has been stated, that could be thanked. Local shop-workers have been given loads of grief as even have the Police FFS for asking people out inappropriately  to go 'home'.

I read in several places that the clapping was for ALL essential workers keeping the country going. We could edit the title but "Carers" doesn't just mean NHS staff so I'm inclined to leave it.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

Fireworks - Wiganers LOVE fireworks. Just after the clapping stopped, the fireworks started - not quite a D Day landing (Bonfire night & New Years eve) but loud & noticeable enough.

Thank you all essential workers.

Brit15

• Like 5

Pretty well supported last night on my road.

We were all waving and chatting long distance too and the occasional car passing, joined in too. Waved to folk I've never seen before, very heartening.

Mostly though - THANKS to all those putting their lives on the line for the rest of us.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m going to lift a couple of post I did in another thread and put them here as it’s more appropriate........

13 hours ago, EddieB said:

A bit quieter than last week, sadly the “novelty” might be wearing off. Still a decent noise, with I guess about one in five houses taking part.

Reminds me that quite a few people never buy poppies.

Am I alone in thinking this but is this whole clapping business a bit pointless? 

don’t get me wrong the NHS workers are doing a fantastic job, going above and beyond but now it’s apparently turned into a weekly let’s clap everyone else event, delivery drivers, shop workers, bin men, train drivers even, somewhat diluting the original sentiment 

no doubt we will see people trying to outdo each other on a weekly basis With the most outlandish salute as lockdown continues then when the virus is contained and life goes back to normal and people are allowed out or EastEnders is back on at 8pm it will soon be forgotten about and people will be complaining about how long it takes to see their GP 

I’m a long way down the pecking order when it comes to ‘key workers’, I’m doing my bit to keep things moving, I don’t feel like I deserve to have praise thrust at me for simply doing my job in the safest possible way to keep a roof over my families head

clapping the real heroes on the front line, yes

clapping an overweight train driver, no 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2