The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Clapping for Carers

didcot

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, big jim said:

Am I alone in thinking this but is this whole clapping business a bit pointless? 

don’t get me wrong the NHS workers are doing a fantastic job, going above and beyond but now it’s apparently turned into a weekly let’s clap everyone else event, delivery drivers, shop workers, bin men, train drivers even, somewhat diluting the original sentiment 

no doubt we will see people trying to outdo each other on a weekly basis With the most outlandish salute as lockdown continues then when the virus is contained and life goes back to normal and people are allowed out or EastEnders is back on at 8pm it will soon be forgotten about and people will be complaining about how long it takes to see their GP 

I’m a long way down the pecking order when it comes to ‘key workers’, I’m doing my bit to keep things moving, I don’t feel like I deserve to have praise thrust at me for simply doing my job in the safest possible way to keep a roof over my families head

clapping the real heroes on the front line, yes

clapping an overweight train driver, no 

Are you alone? Probably not.

Is it  pointless? I don't think so. Last night, there was an NHS worker who I see regularly park over the road just pulled up in the middle of it. As she walked from her car towards the hospital, she said to everyone outside, "Thank you, We really appreciate it!". Moments later an ambulance drove up the road tooting it's horn at people clapping (and banging pans, setting off fireworks etc)., I think they appreciated it too.

Do you deserve a clap? In my mind, yes!! I believe as has been said, last night was for ALL "key workers", regardless of occupation or pecking order. So yes, this was for you too. While I'm shacked at at home, you are out and about putting yourself at risk. My line manager's dad is a bus driver. He's in hospital right now on a ventilator because he was out trying to do his job in the safest possible way.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

We've joined in with the applause both weeks, as have many of our neighbours, but we also felt that this was not really quite enough, so we've decided to put our Christmas lights out on the tree and hedge on the front of the house with a note explaining that this is to mark the work of ALL key workers - in our opinion, the other key workers are not seeing enough recognition, delivery drivers, supermarket staff, teachers, police and firefighters to name but a few.  We light then at dusk, and put them off at bedtime - we also told the BBC of this, but they didn't as far as we know, broadcast it - it was sent to Zoe Ball as she was at the time that we decided to do this, going on about the key workers and supporting them,

I believe that Black Rat of this parish said on Early Risers that he has done the same,

Other RMWebbers might like to copy this as a longer term gesture then weekly applause - or even better, AS WELL AS the weekly applause.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Pointless, no. If it shows public appreciation for those doing their bit, then it has served a purpose. If it lifts spirits and gives some Dunkirk spirit then that's a plus.

There are plenty of people out there who are putting themselves in harm's way who deserve praise. Several of my work colleagues are volunteering to test Ventilators in their spare time. So yes, show your support. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Showing appreciation for carers and those keeping the wheels turning and valuing their efforts is commendable. However I dislike this clapping thing, it all feels a bit contrived and as much about manipulating a narrative as anything else. Better to volunteer to help the response, do what you can to combat spread and donate to relevant welfare funds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, didcot said:

Pointless, no. If it shows public appreciation for those doing their bit, then it has served a purpose. If it lifts spirits and gives some Dunkirk spirit then that's a plus.

Dunkirk spirit, or sheep mentality? ;)

Depends on your point of view.

Better if instead of a media-hyped but ultimately meaningless public show, people actually showed their appreciation personally all the time for those that do arduous and life-important jobs such as NHS workers, carers, food-chain workers, etc instead of hurling abuse at them when it suits. NOW some might realise how much we need these people, but it shouldn't take a global crisis for people to be civil and respectful.

Paul

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

it all feels a bit contrived and as much about manipulating a narrative

Of course it is, especially when it is ‘newsworthy’ before it happens; the intent being deemed news as much as the event.

But, it does serve a subtle purpose beyond being a public ‘thank you’: it gets people to open their doors, and see and hear the presence of everyone else. it reminds us of the existence of everyone else.

Do I mind being manipulated to produce a ‘good news story’ in the middle of the longest shower of bad news that I can remember? No, not really, if it makes even one person who is helping us all feel just a tiny bit better.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sprintex said:

Better if instead of a media-hyped but ultimately meaningless public show, people actually showed their appreciation personally all the time for those that do arduous and life-important jobs such as NHS workers, carers, food-chain workers, etc instead of hurling abuse at them when it suits. NOW some might realise how much we need these people, but it shouldn't take a global crisis for people to be civil and respectful.

Paul

I think you Sir, have missed the point yet again. Last sentence yes, absolutely. First, second and first section of the third sentence, utterly patronising.  May I suggest that you find some really good positives to post on here and/or maybe relate your experience on 'isolation'  or working or whatever?

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

Showing appreciation for carers and those keeping the wheels turning and valuing their efforts is commendable. However I dislike this clapping thing, it all feels a bit contrived and as much about manipulating a narrative as anything else. Better to volunteer to help the response, do what you can to combat spread and donate to relevant welfare funds.

Many of us already do that in 'normal' times. Remember please, some of us actually get a sense of 'relief' in thinking we are 'sending a loving message to those great folk working for us', along with solidarity and community by doing this.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I think you Sir, have missed the point yet again. Last sentence yes, absolutely. First, second and first section of the third sentence, utterly patronising.  May I suggest that you find some really good positives to post on here and maybe relate your experience on 'isolation' as that was the intention of the Threrad IIRC. Have a good evening.

P

personally I think he put his point of view, which is shared by others, across perfectly

1 minute ago, Mallard60022 said:

Many of us already do that in 'normal' times. Remember please, some of us actually get a sense of 'relief' in thinking we are 'sending a loving message to those great folk working for us', along with solidarity and community by doing this.

Don’t you find it In any way patronising for that very reason, you don’t get any thanks in ‘normal’ times but now people have realised you actually make a difference without a demanding a parade in your honour at the end of every working day they are being guilt tripped into making you feel appreciated? 

As I put in the other page it’s not the whole clapping of the NHS I don’t get, nice sentiment I guess but now it’s decided it’s a movement encompassing just about anyone who can justifiably be allowed out to work outside of lockdown, that in one fell swoop had just watered down the whole concept 

One positive to come out of all this is I hope those with ‘sheep mentality’ will realise just who are the important people in the world, not the kardashians, Beyoncé, YouTube influencers, over paid footballers and pop stars but those who get on with real work without fuss and those fellow family members who have had to sacrifice a lot the last few weeks and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

May I suggest that you find some really good positives to post on here

Phil, when you report a post and select the 'inappropriate' it automatically hides it. The posts weren't inappropriate, you disagree with them and on several occasions you've quoted what has been automatically hidden which defeats the object and causes me more work.

I do get grumpy out of hours, more than usual.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Well it is a key role he performs for us after all!

I'm far less use than anyone who's delivering what we need these days!

• RMweb Premium

10 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I'm far less use than anyone who's delivering what we need these days!

Deliveries don't just come in boxes. You set RMWeb up and keep it running. Right now it helps people get through the day a bit easier. A positive mental attitude counts just as much as physical factors, maybe more. 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Sprintex said:

Paul

As someone who undertakes a frontline 'key worker' role in a voluntary capacity my experience over many years is that despite not being in the most popular of roles, I and colleagues have been thanked relatively often for our work by members of the public we interact with. Decent people do show appreciation outside of crises. There will always be those who have issues and abuse (or worse) us but that is life.

To accuse people who are trying to do a tiny bit to make things better of a "sheep mentality" and engaging in an "ultimately meaningless public show" is just sad and pretty mean spirited. The suggestion that people are just doing it due to "media hype" is intellectually lazy. One of the many positive things that has come out of it is young children are asking parents about the clapping and having conversations about the crisis and its impacts.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Something I think might be a good gesture at the end of all this would be to issue a “campaign medal” to everyone who kept us fed, watered, medically cared for etc., no differentiation by rank or trade, just the one ‘medal’.

It might be open to the same criticism of being patronising, but a discrete lapel badge might illustrate for a long time to come the fact that most of those who fit the bill are in job-roles that often get looked down upon by people who are too big for their boots.

It would also help create solidarity between those wearing the medal, and a public award ceremony might be good too.

Whether even this visit from the great leveller will be sufficient to remind everybody that they are made from the same clay is a lot deeper ........ some, I think, will never get it.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

Something I think might be a good gesture at the end of all this would be to issue a “campaign medal” to everyone who kept us fed, watered, medically cared for etc., no differentiation by rank or trade, just the one ‘medal’.

It might be open to the same criticism of being patronising, but a discrete lapel badge might illustrate for a long time to come the fact that most of those who fit the bill are in job-roles that often get looked down upon by people who are too big for their boots.

It would also help create solidarity between those wearing the medal, and a public award ceremony might be good too.

i don’t think that would work personally

what if you were one of those willing to step up to the plate only to have to self isolate or catch the virus so we’re unable to help, in years to come your lack of badge could give the wrong impression, or what if you decide to join the key worker sector as an aftermath of the virus missing out on the medal 

We have something similar on here, a badge of honour as it were, it’s called RMWeb gold, look at the divides that caused when it was announced, those who didn’t want gold status, those who feared it was for the elite, those who didn’t want visual recognition of being a gold member, the same issues could arise from dishing out plaudits to all and sundry, some want them and will shout from the rooftops, others are happy to get on with it quietly in the background without fuss 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, big jim said:

We have something similar on here, a badge of honour as it were,

I thought that was something purchased, rather than a badge of honour, honourable as many who have chosen it are.

But, I do get what you are saying; what I suggest could be divisive. Whether it would be, I’m not so sure.

The curious thing about an epidemic is that, for a large slice of the population, staying at home is the very, very best thing we can do.

They also serve that only sit and wait.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

I thought that was something purchased, rather than a badge of honour, honourable as many who have chosen it are.

Agreed about the purchase bit, never thought about that but I remember at the time a few saw it as possibly causing a divide between the elite and the plebs, I think it’s calmed down now!

anyway sorry to go a bit off topic with my comparison