The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Clapping for Carers

didcot

• Moderators

Things that makes me smile each week are kids across the road being allowed to stay up later to clap (beneath their rainbowed-window) and the cheery old lady a few doors down from them out on her frame to clap and wave - it's just nice to see she's well and happy. It's not necessarily a 'fun' occasion but it's good to see people smile.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3

I started banging my bucket at 8pm and soon realised I was the only person making a noise when I stopped for a breather.  I shouted down  the road ‘shame on you’ and slowly the clapping got louder. It’s alright but I think I’m the only frontline NHS worker on the street.

Ah well 

• Friendly/supportive 6

We've had a good response round here on every Thursday night since it started.

All our neighbours in our little road are out and you can hear lots of people elsewhere in the surrounding neighbourhood. 

Apart from the clapping, there's much banging of pots and pans, whooping and cheering, as well as car horns and ship and boat horns and hooters, from Southampton Water and the River Hamble.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Captain Tom Moore got a special message from the duke and duchess of Cambridge this morning

absolutely wonderful reaction to it from the  man calling William ‘my super prince’ 

video 1/2 way down the page 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52321262

tears in my eyes watching it, lovely

• Like 2

I don't see it as something people ought to do, just something I choose to do and it's up to each of us to think about who we're clapping for. I don't notice who doesn't do it but it is good to see many of my neighbours once a week. I generally follow it up with an e-mail to the couple of people I personally know  who are directly contributing to this,  one of them a "junior"  NHS orthopaedic  surgeon currently working instead in ITU.  

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2

Captain Tom, what a lovely chap, bringing some much needed good news. Its fantastic how the public have got behind him and raised so much money for the NHS charities. A true gentleman. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, didcot said:

Captain Tom, what a lovely chap, bringing some much needed good news. Its fantastic how the public have got behind him and raised so much money for the NHS charities. A true gentleman. 

Yes agreed and great briton too.

• Agree 1

On 16/04/2020 at 20:47, Erichill16 said:

I started banging my bucket at 8pm and soon realised I was the only person making a noise when I stopped for a breather.  I shouted down  the road ‘shame on you’ and slowly the clapping got louder. It’s alright but I think I’m the only frontline NHS worker on the street.

Ah well 

Out again with my bucket, again only me out, so this time I walked down my street banging away. Few came out to clap. Actually many have scared some of them off as I was in my dressing gown and looking a bit like Arthur Dent! (I’ve had a bad day at work and had just had a bath.) What is the matter with some people, some are knowingly putting  themselves in danger (lack of PPE)  to help others and some can’t even come out to clap for a couple of minutes once a week. Shame on them.

Rant over

• Friendly/supportive 5

With a stepson working for very low-pay in a care home, a daughter working obscene hours for PHE, a son who was an early infectee, followed by the rest of his family (wife and 3 kids), my wife and I get out there and CLAP.  Shame on those who can't make it to their front doors for a few minutes but great to wave to those who do and to shout greetings to them.  Further down the village I understand it's almost party time with music and dancing in the street but they're out of earshot for us.

Take care, keep safe and hope to see many of you one of these days . . . 

Stan

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good turn out this week.

(I forgot last week - shame on me...).

The ACME Thunderer did sterling service with me, the wife and 12yr old all clapping and whistling. Lots of neighbours out too. A good show.

Lots of joviality.

Kev.

(I must post pictures of the ACME Thunderer.)

• Like 2

We as a family, 5 of us, were clapping tonight, as usual.

Lots of neighbours out doing the same, again, as usual.

But, we as a family are in a very different situation to a lot of you, it seems.

My eldest works on the railway, my youngest in a store that sells food, and

I'm a s/e plumber still going out to unblock pipes, fix leaks and just making

sure my customers homes stay safe and working.

So I don't get the same sense of 'contact' with my neighbours, because I see

them often, as I'm off to work and they are walking the dog, etc.

Not that it diminishes my respect for the NHS and what they do.

• Like 3

I'm not going to say shame on those who don't clap because unless it's meant it's just virtue signalling.  I do it because I want to not because I think I should or because people will think less of me if I don't. 

I was glad though to see most of my neighbours also taking part and it is good to see them all. One of them, not an immediate neighbour, wasn't taking part and normally does so I need to find out if she's alright. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

We had a 'special edition' last night as we have a recovered Covid patient come home Wednesday (near 90, and vulnerable due to a chest wound received in Korea) and it was filmed by 'our' nurse to be sent to the hospital team as a thank you.

Related, we have started organising afternoon teas out on the street since the weather is so fine, though the distancing means that some of the older parties have to talk on the their mobiles or cordless phones rather then attempt to bellow at each other.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Loads of people out in our street. We went out the back to start with, where you can also hear the neighbouring street as well, then nipped round the front to see almost every house represented.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

An extraordinary thing happened tonight. Just as we all started clapping in a rain shower, the sun came out and a beautiful rainbow appeared.

Rainbow.jpg.a508b269a9be34a34f2141837824be1d.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 10

On 23/04/2020 at 20:14, Erichill16 said:

Out again with my bucket, again only me out, so this time I walked down my street banging away. Few came out to clap. Actually many have scared some of them off as I was in my dressing gown and looking a bit like Arthur Dent! (I’ve had a bad day at work and had just had a bath.) What is the matter with some people, some are knowingly putting  themselves in danger (lack of PPE)  to help others and some can’t even come out to clap for a couple of minutes once a week. Shame on them.

Rant over

Few more out tonight but think that may be due to the fact that an ambulance was parked in the middle of our street. Hope they came out out clapping out of respect for the NHS staff rather than see who was going to be the next victim.
Anyway I was out regardless.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've noticed the turnout is slightly different each week, no problem, the numbers are increasing - but the joviality and comradeship is increasing even quicker.

Well done. A good crowd to make 'em proud.

Kev.