Hornby Ivatt Class 2 - to upgrade or not?

I've seen a few references to the venerable Hornby 'Mickey Mouse' 2-6-0 here on RWweb, but would appreciate thoughts on its potential for detailing, rather than seeking out a complete Comet kit. (Yes, there's the Bachmann option, but I don't want to go RTR if I can help it).

I've come into possession of an old Hornby loco, and am looking at fitting it with a Comet chassis, but would appreciate peoples' thoughts on how accurate (or otherwise) the body is. Ditto the tender.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

The main problem is the incredibly overlong tender. I bought one years ago with the intention of converting it into a 77xxx but never got anywhere with it mainly down to the the need for a donor tender from a Bachmann Ivatt that would still need the top edge where it meets the loco roofline altering to suit the BR standard profile.

All these years later and I can't justify the cost of the Hornby one :(

7 hours ago, MarkC said:

I've seen a few references to the venerable Hornby 'Mickey Mouse' 2-6-0 here on RWweb, but would appreciate thoughts on its potential for detailing, rather than seeking out a complete Comet kit. (Yes, there's the Bachmann option, but I don't want to go RTR if I can help it).

I've come into possession of an old Hornby loco, and am looking at fitting it with a Comet chassis, but would appreciate peoples' thoughts on how accurate (or otherwise) the body is. Ditto the tender.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Naa, sell the Hornby one on to a collector, and just treat yerself to a Bachmann one instead - lovely loco.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, bike2steam said:

Naa, sell the Hornby one on to a collector, and just treat yerself to a Bachmann one instead - lovely loco.

Yeah chalk and cheese I'm afraid . You'll give yourself a whole load of hassle , the Bachmann one is superior in every way.

• Agree 1

Reminds me mine is I think buried somewhere in the loft as a failed 32 year old attempt to turn it into a BR 2 2-6-2T using a Crownline conversion kit. Did anyone ever get those whitemetal slidebars to work or did they all just bend as the motion turned, Some parts subsequently found their way onto a Bachmann Ivatt 2 2-6-2T to detail it further. The Bachmann Ivatt 2 2-6-0 is one of those models without axle bearings.

• RMweb Premium

I detailed one some years, but did not bother shortening the tender. I did re-motor it though, as the one in it was awful. Just as I completed it as usual Bachmann announced that they were bringing one out in there range. I also completed a crownline conversion on a Ivatt 2 tank to the BR version some years ago when Bachmann first released the tank. I’ve kept hoping over the years that one of the manufacturers would bring one out RTR.

As above, save yourself the hassle and get a Bachmann one

Boiler is wrong as well.

I used the body to make the 2-6-2 version back in the 80s, shortened boiler, scratchbuilt tanks and bunker, scratchbuilt chassis. Not a bad model till it got stolen.

As others have said, if you want a decent Ivatt, don't start with the Hornby model.

I got one shortly after they came out in the 1970s.  I didn't like the overlong tender (I think the underframe moulding was meant for a Black 5) so I shortened the tender body and built a new underframe from plasticard with metal wheels and whitemetal axlebox/spring castings.  The loco got new Romford wheels and a turned brass chimney, with sprung buffers, screw couplings and vacuum and steam heat bags fore and aft.  The shortcomings of the original valvegear and the "skirt" under the boiler are all too obvious and as stated it doesn't compare with the Bachmann version.  Since I went to P4 in the late 1980s I doubt I'd rebuild this one from 00 to P4, so it's sat on my display shelf for sentimental reasons because it was one of my first upgrading projects way back when and I was quite pleased with it !

Alasdair

Ivatt 2MT 46462 (1).jpg

Ivatt 2MT 46462 (2).jpg

Edited by AJCT
Extra info
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

So the old adage of "If you want to go there, I wouldn't start from here" rings true then!

Thank you all very, very much for your contributions. It all seems pretty clear now. I'll file that idea under "Nah..." :D

Fortunately the potential donor loco was a good Yorkshire price - nowt - so I haven't lost out. Phew!

Mark

20 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi all.

Would the short tender from the mainline 4-6-0 4MT prototypically  work on this engine. I have several of them knocking about, And also have 3 of those engines in a box. 2 black and 1 green.

Umm... unlikely, I'd have thought.  I haven't checked the respective underframe lengths and wheelbases, but the Mainline BR Standard 4MT 4-6-0 has the BR2 or BR2a tender and the tender from the equivalent BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 is the BR3.

Alasdair