Newton Stewart on the Port Road

Bochi

• 8 months later...
On 28/03/2020 at 15:27, Joseph_Pestell said:

I have seen that. Wish I had found it before Dad died. He would have enjoyed that a lot, not least because he did not get to see much of the line travelling mostly at night.

What class of diesel is that right at the end of the film at Dumfries?

• 1 month later...

Looks really good, that simulation!

The layout has been dormant for much of lockdown: I got involved with other matters and although the virus passed casa Bochi by, there were health issues.

On the bright side, my choice of point motor was simplified by the return of Cobalts to these shores so I splashed out on a dozen of those. Now to get on with laying that fiddleyard.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One of the fun things about the Port Road is trying to work out what goods traffic would have been seen on it in the 1935-45 period. Photographs are hard to come by: the vast majority of pictures I've seen are post-1948. There are not so many from the 1930s, and virtually none from the war years: no doubt because taking photographs of railways, and especially those used extensively by troops, would have been a national security issue!

Swan gives the impression of a wide variety of wagons, with horse boxes from "all over the country" as well as a fair number of private owner wagons in addition to standard LMS and ex-Caley stock. Most photographs of all periods show a predominance of vans and cattle wagons - milk, meat, fish and general goods.

But what about the London milk train? Or motor spirit? Shell had a refinery at Ardrossan with those early Shell tank wagons. Did any of that make its way to Newton Stewart?