Model Railways Direct

669cpb

Indeed good service and I often see posts like this but everyone forgets that the shop just puts it in a box whilst a considerable number of other people actually transport it from the shop to your front door. They never get thanked, just moaned at if a parcel takes 2 days. Just saying and yes I used to be a postie ;) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well said Gareth. Currently my post, milk and daily newspapers continue to be delivered; and DPD turned up with a palm sander in a parcel the other day. The bin men took my recycling earlier in the week. 

I am very grateful for all those who are still working away to make my isolated life that much easier. 

I find Model Railways Direct to be a great shop, and mail order - they are my 'local' model shop being only about 5 miles away as the crow flies. Their prices are pretty competitive too. I worry that some of the smaller retailers will go out of business if this isolation carries on for more than a few weeks, which will be sad news for the hobby. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered on Friday early afternoon and delivered first thing this morning, a really big "Thank You" for such excellent service even at the best of times let alone now!

Credit to Royal Mail too, and our brilliantly unflappable local postman!

Again ordered some stuff from Mark and it turned up next day standard royal mail. Again for me its only about 5 miles as the crow flies and as i work in Portishead i would never normally it get posted (usually use click and collect) those sales do tempt me in more times than they should.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just been given a couple of vouchers for Model Railways Direct as a retirement gift so I naturally came to this thread to 'gen up' on the establishment.  I'm obviously glad that they have earned great respect among Forum members and I look forward to viewing their website and making my purchase.  Sorry, somewhat off-topic, but as the issue has been commented on, and I fully accept that posties do come in for some 'stick' (I also worked for the Post Office many years ago) please allow me to describe my situation when I worked in retail.  Admittedly, I'm going back many years, and maybe it only happened to me, but in my experience of working in a shop, sometimes trying to cover a model railway section (and occasionally a radio control section simultaneously) whilst trying to get a parcel to the Post Office wasn't exactly akin to just putting something in a box.  I'd get out of the shop to post the parcel any brief moment I had and, although I'd do my best, that moment wasn't always the same day I wrapped it up.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I can only endorse what has been said by many already. Ordered from Model Railways Direct on Wednesday and arrived by Royal Mail on Thursday. First class service by all. Usual disclaimer - only connection is as a satisfied customer.

• Agree 1

• 7 months later...

Today I thought I’d “shop local” by popping over to Model Railways Direct, as I wasn’t sure how to get their I googled directions and checked the opening times.

Google opening times (updated 3 weeks ago) said yes they where open, excellent into the car I go and about an hour later I arrive outside the shop.

Hmmmm, doesn’t look very open...went to the door which was locked, rung the phone number which said closed due fo government restrictions.

Not impressed, either update your Google details to reflect your not open or don’t bother doing it ? 

Much needed income (I’d assume) lost, order placed online with a major retailer and I won’t bother again. 

1 hour ago, Courtybella said:

Today I thought I’d “shop local” by popping over to Model Railways Direct, as I wasn’t sure how to get their I googled directions and checked the opening times.

Google opening times (updated 3 weeks ago) said yes they where open, excellent into the car I go and about an hour later I arrive outside the shop.

Hmmmm, doesn’t look very open...went to the door which was locked, rung the phone number which said closed due fo government restrictions.

Not impressed, either update your Google details to reflect your not open or don’t bother doing it ? 

Much needed income (I’d assume) lost, order placed online with a major retailer and I won’t bother again. 

Hi Courtybella

Further to you post above, our information on Google is correct, the opening times refer to the telephone lines and delivery.  As can be seen by the red cross next to In-store shopping, this is not available.  Our website shows all the correct detailed information.  There is also a Google post, flagged as Covid-19 update, which is shown on Google by clicking on the 'Updates from Model Railways Direct' link, which reads:

The Collection Point and Sales Counter will remain closed until Wednesday April 28th 2021.

From April 28th our Collection Point and Sales Counter will be open between 1pm and 4pm on Wednesday & Fridays ONLY.

We continue to offer products for delivery, orders can be placed through our website and over the telephone. The telephone lines remain open Tuesday to Friday 10am to 4pm.

It is unfortunate that you did not check our own website for information or see the red cross next to the In-store shopping on Google before starting your journey.  We always try to update third party information, such as Google, however we do not have full control over what is shown and would always recommend checking our own website for the latest information.  

Hopefully we may see you soon, our website has the latest opening times at and information at https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/portishead-shop/

Model Railways Direct

Google.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Thank you MRD, no your right I didn’t noticed the X on the google preview, so basically it is my fault for not fully reading the information - however with other non essential retailers open I assumed (what do they say about making assumptions?) you’d be open as well. 

You are my local shop so hopefully when you are open again I’ll pop over to spend my pocket money.

• RMweb Gold

Especially these days its probably not wise to rely on what Google says and instead visit the website of the business in question to see what the deal is.

Going by the images I'm guessing MRD feel the shop is too small to realistically allow customers inside while social distancing of any sort is still a legal requirement.

• Agree 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Does anyone know which couriers these guys use.  I've been given a tracking number in the format of: Shipping Ref No: ###### Campaign ID: # but absolutely no idea of who they shipped it with.  I dropped them an email after I got the number but I guess they've gone down the boozer/chippy/home.

Cheers

Dubya

Edited by Tim Dubya

The last few courier deliveries i had from them were with UPS although they always used to use DPD. If its with DPD you normally get sent an email with the details. Never had it with UPS.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, G-DIMB said:

The last few courier deliveries i had from them were with UPS although they always used to use DPD. If its with DPD you normally get sent an email with the details. Never had it with UPS.

Cheers, UPS it is, found in my junk folder :blush:

• RMweb Premium

Excellent service!

Just got handed my Well Tank by the UPS guy ;) and she's running in on the rolling road right now.

IMG_20210901_092129795.jpg.5f1f47f0bc7bbe13af2e6ea8e91c67df.jpg

Interesting journey from Bristol to Tamworth and back to Bristol (I live in Bath).

Screenshot_20210901-090857-744.png.1fd7273be801d9bbf7918ec0c10d952e.png

I'll definitely be shopping a little more local in future (nothing in Bath anymore).

Cheers

Dubya

On 01/09/2021 at 09:30, Tim Dubya said:

Excellent service!

Just got handed my Well Tank by the UPS guy ;) and she's running in on the rolling road right now.

IMG_20210901_092129795.jpg.5f1f47f0bc7bbe13af2e6ea8e91c67df.jpg

Interesting journey from Bristol to Tamworth and back to Bristol (I live in Bath).

Screenshot_20210901-090857-744.png.1fd7273be801d9bbf7918ec0c10d952e.png

I'll definitely be shopping a little more local in future (nothing in Bath anymore).

Cheers

Dubya

Normal for one of the big names 

Collect 

Local depot onto trunker

Arrive sorting hub

Destination depot

Customer

Just explained to our HR manager that sending some stuff to someone working from home locally actually means going via Barking.....from Portsmouth  

• Agree 1

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've never had anything but superb service from Model Railways Direct and I still think their website is a model for how to do it right, very simple to get to what you want. Unfortunately I can't use them at the moment as they don't serve overseas customers, but hopefully that will be under review and they may change. 

• Agree 3

• 4 months later...