The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

British Summer Time..........

soony

Normally I really look forward to the lighter evenings, this year I am indifferent to the clock change (there are of course much more important things to be concerned about just now !)

• RMweb Premium

Normally I dislike it because it plunges my morning dog walk before work back into darkness..

By the time I get back to work this year IE no earlier than  80 days time it won't matter. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile in Australia, those states that observe Daylight Saving (Queensland, Northern Territory & Western Australia don't), go back next week end.

No idea why a different week, not that it will affect too many fliers this year!

• Informative/Useful 2

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 03:39, BR60103 said:

Why can't they just tell everyone to be at work at 8:00 instead of 9:00?

Exactly, it is just a convention. Personally I feel that BST best positions the daylight relative to the normal daily round in the UK, based on state schools generally starting shortly before 9am, and we should just stay on it year round. (The way some get heated  about it, you would think that they believe that the choice of GMT or BST actually changes day length.)

• Agree 6

40 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Cors its summertime, we've just had the first snow flurries of Easter. 

Winter is rarely much more than a mile away at the UK's latitude. (Even in the equatorial zone it's under 4 miles away.) Our parish cricket club has a lovely record of a late C19th match in mid July: 'Match abandoned: snow stopped play'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Exactly, it is just a convention. Personally I feel that BST best positions the daylight relative to the normal daily round in the UK, based on state schools generally starting shortly before 9am, and we should just stay on it year round. (The way some get heated  about it, you would think that they believe that the choice of GMT or BST actually changes day length.)

Those who get heated about remaining on BST all year round, are most likely the ones who remember the experiment last time it happened. 

I hated it. On dull December days it was not properly light until about 10:30 a.m. and although the trip home from school was in the light, the perennial darkness of each morning's journey was depressing. The public put up with it for about three or four winters before the clamour for GMT became so great that the government caved in; and clocks were put back at the end of October 1971 until March 1972 and thus it has remained ever since. 

The start/end times are not symmetric simply because of the times of dawn/daylight in respect of those getting up at that time. You have to wait until the sunrise is before 6am, otherwise it would plunge a great majority of workers back into darkness when they were getting up (sunrise on March 1st is 06:55 GMT). Having sunrise put back to almost 8am at the beginning of March would be too much psychologically, as spring is just around the corner. 

On the other hand, sunrise only approaches 8am BST at the end of October, and to put it back to 7am (GMT) at that late stage is considered more uplifting for workers, even though they suddenly have to come home in the dark. 

Studies have found that we are more able to cope with darker evenings than mornings, apparently. 

• Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Those who get heated about remaining on BST all year round, are most likely the ones who remember the experiment last time it happened. 

I hated it. On dull December days it was not properly light until about 10:30 a.m. and although the trip home from school was in the light, the perennial darkness of each morning's journey was depressing. The public put up with it for about three or four winters before the clamour for GMT became so great that the government caved in; and clocks were put back at the end of October 1971 until March 1972 and thus it has remained ever since.

I suppose it all depends on who you are but as a naturally late riser I find dark mornings far less depressing than dark evenings, especially at the weekend (when I'm more inclined to be up late and more likely to be doing things that need daylight). It was dark by the time I got home from school anyway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

The start/end times are not symmetric simply because of the times of dawn/daylight in respect of those getting up at that time. You have to wait until the sunrise is before 6am, otherwise it would plunge a great majority of workers back into darkness when they were getting up (sunrise on March 1st is 06:55 GMT). Having sunrise put back to almost 8am at the beginning of March would be too much psychologically, as spring is just around the corner. 

On the other hand, sunrise only approaches 8am BST at the end of October, and to put it back to 7am (GMT) at that late stage is considered more uplifting for workers, even though they suddenly have to come home in the dark. 

Studies have found that we are more able to cope with darker evenings than mornings, apparently. 

It seems that I am in a minority for preferring lighter evenings even if it means darker mornings. If we stick with changing the clocks and I had my way, I'd change them in winter so that it got light at 2pm, because in the daytime I'm working and it doesn't make any difference if I'm cooped up indoors, but at least I'd have light evenings!

But more seriously, I wonder why we fiddle with the clocks at all when we could just change behaviours to suit. I've never understood the 'but farmers will have to work longer in the dark' argument - seeing as cows can't tell the time why does anyone have to follow what the clock says?  I think on balance I'd prefer just to leave the darn things on GMT all year round so that midday = mid daylight as near as possible. As it gets lighter in the summer those that want can get up earlier, and those of us that want more light at the end of the day can start earlier in winter. Given that so many more people work flexibly this could be accommodated much more nowadays.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

In my pub, we always worked to GMT, (Greetham Mean Time), which was fairly flexible, especially when it came to closing.

On the other hand, any time anyone promised to do something by a certain time or date, it rarely seemed to happen.

In the locak (Rutland ) dialect, it was alleged that there were 17 different words, all roughly equivalent to the Spanish Mañana, none of which managed to convey the same sense of urgency.

Regards

Ian

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

4 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I think on balance I'd prefer just to leave the darn things on GMT all year round so that midday = mid daylight as near as possible. As it gets lighter in the summer those that want can get up earlier, and those of us that want more light at the end of the day can start earlier in winter. Given that so many more people work flexibly this could be accommodated much more nowadays.

You may think you would enjoy GMT all year round, but 99% would soon start moaning when it was dark by 9pm on the summer solstice in June, and the weeks either side of that date, especially if it had been a warm day. 

And do you really want to sit outside on a sultry August evening, only to find it became dark by 8pm?  

Edited by jonny777
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Winter is rarely much more than a mile away at the UK's latitude. (Even in the equatorial zone it's under 4 miles away.) Our parish cricket club has a lovely record of a late C19th match in mid July: 'Match abandoned: snow stopped play'.

Not even at local parish level.

June 1975 Lancashire V Derbyshire.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22539954/snow-stopped-play

Jason

• Like 1