NR recruiting recent retirees.

• RMweb Gold

There is a general call out from NR to early retirees and others who are qualified to provide temporary cover in safety critical roles such as signalmen for potential staff absences arising from the epidemic.  

• Informative/Useful 1

Retirees under 70 might also know a bit about how to run a railway ? (As indeed do the staff currently doing the job). 

(I have been asked too but will most likely decline - I don't fancy the shifts, especially the 12 hour nights, any longer).

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, caradoc said:

Retirees under 70 might also know a bit about how to run a railway ? (As indeed do the staff currently doing the job). 

(I have been asked too but will most likely decline - I don't fancy the shifts, especially the 12 hour nights, any longer).

That was one of my brothers main reasons for not going back, had it been back to a bells and block instruments box he may gone. But the Saltley bunker is a soulless building.

• Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, Pandora said:

I though it was contrary to  the Law to discriminate  employment based upon age

Not if there's a job specific reason for applying an age limit. I don't pretend to know what the reason is in this case.

Edited by Gordon Connell
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Gordon Connell said:

Not if there's a job specific reason for applying an age limit. I don't pretend to know what the reason is in this case.

Government Advice, the recruitment of retired signallers is for contingency in case too many regulars go sick with Coronavirus / self-isolate, and it is government advice that the over 70s are 'shielded' and self-isolate.

I'm on a contingency list for TVSC.

Simon  

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Government Advice, the recruitment of retired signallers is for contingency in case too many regulars go sick with Coronavirus / self-isolate, and it is government advice that the over 70s are 'shielded' and self-isolate.

Simon  

Although that advice has no bearing on their ability to do the job, or the risk of their catching the virus, only the potential workload on the health service. 

Jim

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Simon  

Sorry Simon but the Govt advice is not that Over 70s self-isolate (although the BBC keep saying it).  The advice to the over 70s is that they are' particularly stringent' in the need to apply social distancing and the various other precautions such as only shopping for essentials etc (which I am doing - it's the other ones who aren't)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, ColinK said:

Blea Moor box would be a good place to self-isolate!

So much so that they only heard the rumour that the Midland Railway is to be Nationalised last week.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

On 30/03/2020 at 14:15, Pandora said:

I though it was contrary to  the Law to discriminate  employment based upon age

https://archive.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1841

There is a loop hole which Virgin used a few years ago, they balloted drivers with a pay offer recommended by ASLEF . One of the conditions was compulsory retirement on reaching state pension age. I assume the legals knew what they were doing re any potential action, several drivers were forced out within weeks. There is actually a good argument for prediccting planned retirement, if Driver Bloggs is due to go in 12 months, you as the TOC recruit now to fill his place with out any real shortage when Drv Bloggs goes. But if you don't know for sure you have a situation of uncertainty. Virgin have not to my knowledge been challenged over this. I seem to remember my own company (XCTrains)sarting to look at this just as I was finishing, it included extending the notice period for potential retirees from 1 to 3 months. Not an issue if you a claiming your railway pension as there is a 3 month set up.

Edited by w124bob
  • Informative/Useful 1