50/60s front loader

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

MuirHill_Loader.jpg.a03c0a82e43a6b865f3b5980d760621b.jpg

Muir-Hill? Loader at rest

The coal depot needs a 50/60s front loader in 4mm, the only model that springs to mind is the exAirfix/Dapol JCB suitably modified.

CO45.jpg.07bcf4fb7242e1b127a14de63014863a.jpg

Dapol CO45

Any other suitable models out there, please?

Cheers

Edited by Guest

• RMweb Premium

The old Matchbox 1-75 series Weatherill is a pretty good model very near to scale except for the underscale cast in driver. Husky also produced a Massey-Ferguson digger fitted with an angled blade which could be replaced with something more suitable.

Guest Jack Benson

Naturally, as soon as the question is asked shedloads of suitable models appear, for example I did not know that Oxford was offering a Mk1 JCB loader.

JCB.jpg.71f24659b42b134591eb64b5b5708c17.jpg

However, someone has just PM'd this image of the actual loader at PD Dibles coal depot, any ideas of its origins?

Road_Vehicles_Crane.jpg.b6376c1f104c58ef1b701cc4ed90403d.jpg

And the full monty

Road_Vehicles.jpg.aca4b3b1449855fa1a038bca3b1f0e31.jpg

Bedford TKs seem to be very popular as coal drays in the Southampton area, there are at least two more in my archive.

Cheers

Guest Jack Benson
42 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

That looks like an Iron Fairy, also made by Matchbox but nearer to HO scale.

Hi,

Please more info, with such a wonderful name an example is essential.

Thanks

Guest Jack Benson
9 hours ago, petethemole said:

In 1971 they had a Muir Hill F5000, seen here in a set of photos I hadn't seen before https://www.flickr.com/photos/52467480@N08/6454433121/

Found by googling 'Corralls Southampton' rather than 'Dibles Wharf'.  I was working just down the road at the time and living in Northam, so used to walk to work past there.

My late father was an employee of the PD group and used to carry out an annual independent audit at Corralls coal concentration  depot, I was lucky to be  ‘treated’ to accompany him but had to remain seen but not heard.

I am perplexed by the purpose of the depot, presumably bulk coal was received by collier and rail for use in both domestic and industry.  

Thanks for the contributions, knowledge shared is not lost.

cheers

Didn't they also supply coal to the Isle of White, hence the elaborate facilities?  I've seen photos of a very clever wagon unloading device they had, which could unload both hoppers and 'flat-bottomed' wagons. Hoppers simply discharged into a pit between the tracks, whilst other wagons were discharged via the end doors, using two tilting platforms (one 'left-handed', one 'right-handed') to lift one end of the wagon.

• Informative/Useful 1

Guest Jack Benson
6 hours ago, petethemole said:

In its heyday most of their coal came in by sea. The gas works coal also came by sea to their wharf just downstream. No doubt you remember the overhead conveyor across Marine Parade?

It was a ‘distribution’ hub?

cheers

• RMweb Premium

Basically yes. They used rail as well, obviously, from the shots of wagons unloading.  A page on the origins of the firm is here:  http://hovehistory.blogspot.com/2015/11/james-corrall-of-brighton.html

An aerial view of the site in 1948:  https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW020006

For clarity, the gas works coal wharf wasn't part of Corralls, it was part of the Gas Company/Board's premises.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2020 at 19:09, Jack Benson said:

However, someone has just PM'd this image of the actual loader at PD Dibles coal depot, any ideas of its origins?

Road_Vehicles_Crane.jpg.b6376c1f104c58ef1b701cc4ed90403d.jpg

Tales of Iron Fairies , Jumbos and Pelicans:)

The grab crane is   a Taylor Jumbo Hydracrane, these were popular from the outset for coal  loading with all the early ones having no slew capability which must have meant a lot of shuffling around the yard. In fact Taylor invented the rotary slew hydraulic coupling which is now used on every 360deg crane and excavator see-

http://tonyonthemoon.co.uk/Coles-history-taylors-story.html

and also , (note many of the cranes in photos here have grabs.)

https://tractors.fandom.com/wiki/F_Taylor_%26_Sons

The good old Neals Pelican was also a very popular coal loader , probably because I would imagine they were comparatively cheap as they looked liked something the local blacksmith could knock up grafted onto a Fordson Major see-

https://tractom.com/wiki/Neal_Pelican_Loader

Matchbox made a decent model of one of the later Taylor Jumbo cranes in 1-75 range , not sure what scale it is though.

Edited by JCB 3C no.2
  • Like 4

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

To remind everyone of the Matchbox Taylors crane.

This is #11 1:85 scale

M11_1_85.jpg.4a313ea79fbf8d0fd9a38e6e29a86f7c.jpg

and the K14 Taylors crane 1:58

K14_1_58.jpg.0875046691ea538dbb918a03f91d28cd.jpg

An image captured at the end of the working life of Dibles, there are a few remnants of the coal depot and a Volvo wheeled front loader. The site was recently sold for 'development' but rails are still visible in the concrete hardstanding.

20200110_Dibles2.jpg.8bb57e3659c1bdbca506dab23baca0d4.jpg

Finally, an image of Dibles in the 50s, steam working is still visible, just find it.

20200110_Dibles1.jpg.1c9d8635cc9b7ebfecca24e470fd8eec.jpg

Cheers

Guest Jack Benson

An image from the recent sales brochure, we could not afford the £4m+ sales price. The rail connection was in the top left corner of the red lines.

20200110_Dibles3.jpg.5a2a87a7d0406ba3f2aad9a84363adc3.jpg

Cheers