Alco S-2 Quick Project

Guest Half-full

Guest Half-full

Hi All

I recently picked up this Alco S-2 as part of a job lot...

20200325_210548.jpg.89028bfce756fd58ecf911f597d1e071.jpg

It's an older Atlas product (Austria made), I wasn't expecting much, however putting it on a length of Peco code 75 track powered by a 9v battery, it ran superbly.  Taking the shell off revealed a twin flywheel set up, so my thoughts turned to what I can do with it.

It was previously a Rio Grande liveried loco, which had the lettering painted out and fictitious N&W railroad lettering applied to the cabsides.  I've decided to strip it down and repaint it either in a yellow, green or black fictional livery - colour to be decided when I go in the shed tomorrow and see what rattle cans I have!  

Progress so far...

20200327_211046.jpg.ad59260b244240f45c990f9c2fc9332c.jpg

After taking the above photo I've removed all printing and wasp striped from the loco, using a fibre pen.  I've removed the sunshades from the cabside windows (although kept the wire support as I'll add new ones, and also removed the warning light from the cab roof and filled the resulting hole.

This wont be a super detailed conversion, just a quick repaint to keep my mojo up in these strange times

Edited by Half-full

• RMweb Premium

I believe they were made by Roco or certainly the chassis and were very/are nice runners.

I remember my dad getting three UP liveried ones and was amazed at how they ran.

Very nice models for the time.

• Agree 1

Well this is a coincidence. I sold this loco at the end of last year to a dealer in Liverpool. I bought the loco new some years ago and it is a Roco, it has always run superbly. I modelled a fictitious short line called The Interstate and Western, hence I&W on the cabside.

If you want to see more pictures of the loco working on my layout, look at the Benson Arkansas thread.

I am glad she has gone to a good home.

Regards Peter M 

• Like 5

Guest Half-full
31 minutes ago, Broadoak said:

Well this is a coincidence. I sold this loco at the end of last year to a dealer in Liverpool. I bought the loco new some years ago and it is a Roco, it has always run superbly. I modelled a fictitious short line called The Interstate and Western, hence I&W on the cabside.

If you want to see more pictures of the loco working on my layout, look at the Benson Arkansas thread.

I am glad she has gone to a good home.

Regards Peter M 

Hi Peter,

That is a coincidence indeed!  I bought it from said retailer in Liverpool the other day!

It is a great runner, I was surprised just how smooth, but no surprise with it being made by Roco!  Its currently being painted into a fictional green livery, pic soon!

I'll check out your thread too

Small world!

Guest Half-full

Progress today so far...

20200328_105318.jpg.ed2fcab7491df595b5e1082ce9231c63.jpg

Stripped shell.  I decided just to do away with the sunshades on the cab side windows.  

20200328_112018.jpg.3905f26a1177469cd1b65e04c28dd732.jpg

It was after I primed the shell I realised I'd left the rear cab headlight lens in place.  I've since removed it and at the moment the shell is drying after a few coats of green.

Guest Half-full

End of day update...

20200328_220321.jpg.847f0d7da83cc167cad6a0a6e3635687.jpg

Bodyshell now painted in its top coat (Halfords rattle can, cant remember the colour).  In the background is the chassis masked up for attention tomorrow

I'm really enjoying this quick win project!