MRJ 278

Compound2632

12 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

... has been printed, according to @Not Jeremy.

Now there's the distribution....

Oh well, provided nothing results from my shopping trip yesterday, I'll have a look in my local newsagent to see if it has turned up NEXT Friday!

And so on...

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

I believe that the Smiths network of branches is partially shut down, so the "which Smiths" aspect of these threads may for once have some use and evenrelevance to the actual world that more or less sane people live in.

Now there's a thought.....  :crazy:

Although there are no WHS branches (open or shut) within my Covid-permitted range, I'm lucky that my local newsagent stocks MRJ so it would be nice to know when distribution has been achieved so I can drop in at a suitable time to see if its reached them.

The bloke who presents the breakfast-time programme on Classic FM has come up with a dedication time he tastefully calls "the Indoor Mountaineering" moment, for those climbing the walls during this period of self-isolation.  RM webbers are extremely lucky to have an outlet for that sort of thing!

Best wishes, and looking forward to 278 when it arrives...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

may for once have some use and even relevance to the actual world that more or less sane people live in

Are you asking for sightings of the Journal or sane people?

I think your guidance would be good if the printed stock is known to have left Amadeus Simon; just so we don't have a trickle of "not in xyz yet" posts.

• RMweb Premium

Just to clarify, I hope. From what I read the branches of Smiths which have stayed open are those with Post Offices in them. There may be others but I have not seen any mentioned. Can anyone confirm? If that is the case those seeking out MRJ will know where it is worth looking (eg Aberystwyth, Chesterfield and Shrewsbury). But agree d we do not want a list of closed stores.

Jonathan

• Informative/Useful 2

The Monmouth branch was open on Wednesday when I went in for supplies. They don't have a post office in the shop. If you go to the W H Smith website you can search for your local branch and find out if it is still open. Does MRJ count as essential supplies? Probably :-)

Justin

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Just to clarify, I hope. From what I read the branches of Smiths which have stayed open are those with Post Offices in them. There may be others but I have not seen any mentioned. Can anyone confirm? If that is the case those seeking out MRJ will know where it is worth looking (eg Aberystwyth, Chesterfield and Shrewsbury). But agree d we do not want a list of closed stores.

Jonathan

Not necessarily - the WHS in Didcot (ironically) houses the town’s post office, but according to the WHS website  it is currently “temporarily closed”...

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I decided within the last couple of days to add a subscription for 4 issues, starting with the new one, as I'm now locked in due to age. I wonder if mine will come?

Stewart

I got caught out by the change to 4-issue subscriptions. I found a renewal form tucked in 276 that I'd overlooked so re-subscribed very close to the due date of issue 277.

Everything went fine.  277 was with me the same time as everyone elses.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, queensquare said:

Dave Stone's fabulous  Sherton Abbas certainly is in this issue.

Other attractions include;

Custom Decals by Andy Carlson

S Scale Sentinel by John Holden

2mm Finescale Castle by Keith Armes and Steve Martin

Home made stay alives for small prototypes Pt1 by Nick Mitchel

Welsh Minks in EM by Graeme Tierney

Copenhagen Fields locos by Tim Watson

In addition there is Portfolio eye candy from the likes of the MRC, Keir Hardy and Barry Norman

Well worth waiting for.

Issue 279 is also well in hand. As Simon said, both Wild Swan and Cygnet will keep producing great books and magazines, only the timetable of when we can get them out is in doubt at the moment.

Jerry

29m.jpg.ac9f676eada3b3f7b4dd27008343c10e.jpg

Excited!
My last appearance in this hallowed tome, was issue 73, more than 200 issues ago!  I guess no one could accuse me of being a prolific layout builder:rolleyes:

• Like 13

I would be grateful for a photo of the cover,
Why? Well when I send the 'messenger' into town to collect a Mag,

I like to give them a sheet of paper with a photo of the Magazine I want,
next to a photo of the one I don't want (with a BIG X on it).
.... and 'YES' under one photo and 'NO' under the other.
Sometimes even that doesn't work, tried issue number xxx in the past too, but.......
Many thanks,
Bit worried about the article on 'Welsh Minks',

I know Graham uses Chinchilla Dust in his modelling, somewhere :jester:

Edited by Penlan