MRJ 278

Compound2632

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, queensquare said:

I had a lengthy chat with Cygnet yesterday and as Simon says, the subs copies were packed up and ready for dispatch pretty quickly. Unfortunately the gent who deals with them (and has done since about issue 5) is currently in complete isolation and there have been problems getting them picked up by the PO. The team are working on the problem and it is hoped it will be resolved in the next few days. This is obviously far from ideal but these are unprecedented times and we thank everybody for their patience. 

Jerry  

I live in Didcot and am not currently isolated - if I can be of any assistance in collecting and delivering to the post office, please let me know.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Excellent service from Titfield (as expected) and issue 278 arrived today. The bonus gift is well received here (I was 13 at the time) and more than makes up for paying postage for MRJ when I usually purchase in store.

MRJ looks good too. Superb photos of Sherton Abbas. Followed the layout build on RMWeb and was fortunate to see the layout at Guildex last year.

Andrew

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I haven't troubled Paul about this, but I wonder if he is aware of Zero Gravitas's offer.  As Jerry is clearly in touch with  MRJ HQ, maybe he could draw this to Paul's attention (assuming that  delivery of issue 278 to the Post Office still hasn't been sorted out yet).

Through no fault of the Cygnet team or of the Post Office, I am now suffering distinct withdrawal symptoms.  I have even had to resort to doing some model-making, forsooth! 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

One copy of issue 278 in stock at WHS Darlington Cornhill Centre on Sat 18th Apr if anyone wants it. (I normally have my MRJ reserved at Monk Bar Modelshop in York, but in the current emergency I’ve ordered a copy from the Titfield Thunderbolt, so left the one alone in Darlington.)

Edited by RichardT
Clarified date

It became clear some time ago that  copies of MRJ 278 are available from retail outlets (where these are open), and so reports that someone has seen copies at such and such an outlet are really of no interest.

The only outstanding issue relates to the distribution of subscription copies, due to the problem that Jerry [Queensquare]  reported last week.  It is to be hoped  either that the MRJ team can find a way round this problem, or that an offer of help, such as that from Zero Gravitas, could be accepted.

Edited by Crichel Down
Minor correction (typo).
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mine is on subscription and usually arrives towards the end of distribution, in that many people report getting theirs before mine arrives and very few after mine comes. Well mine has arrived now so hopefully any outstanding ones are getting out there.

It is a good issue. I really enjoyed seeing Sherton Abbas at Railex show and then I thought it reminded me, in modelling style, of a layout I had seen in MRJ many years ago that was in 4mm. The article confirms that they are by the same person, so my feelings were spot on. What a beautiful model. Perhaps a bit "chocolate boxey" for those who prefer "urban grot" but I like to see models of when the railways were at their very best and this ticks all the boxes for me.  

When I first looked at the article on doing transfers, I thought that one or two of the smaller letters and numbers were not particularly crisp then I spotted that it was 2mm and the photos were many times life sized!

I have spoken with Tim Watson about the need to keep on top of the running and to replace worn parts for Copenhagen Fields but those photos, especially the worn gear, really bring it home.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, t-b-g said:

It is a good issue. I really enjoyed seeing Sherton Abbas at Railex show and then I thought it reminded me, in modelling style, of a layout I had seen in MRJ many years ago that was in 4mm. The article confirms that they are by the same person, so my feelings were spot on. 

That had me diving for the indexModel Railway Journal No.73 (Wild Swan, 1994) pp. 203-210 - Lesser @wenlock of course! The architectural modelling (well, all the modelling) is superb. I expect that plated 4-plank wagon is grey rather than red, though.

Edited by Compound2632
Lesser Wenlock, not Little Wenlock - even with the magazine open in front of me, I couldn't get that right!
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

It is a good issue. I really enjoyed seeing Sherton Abbas at Railex show and then I thought it reminded me, in modelling style, of a layout I had seen in MRJ many years ago that was in 4mm. The article confirms that they are by the same person, so my feelings were spot on. What a beautiful model. Perhaps a bit "chocolate boxey" for those who prefer "urban grot" but I like to see models of when the railways were at their very best and this ticks all the boxes for me.  

Well spotted!  I’d never really thought about having a “modelling style”, but I suppose apart from the change of scale my modelling interests or methods haven’t really changed much:)  It is a little “chocolate boxey”, and I suppose I view the Edwardian period through rose tinted glasses, but I can’t bring myself to make Mr Dean’s finest grubby!  Funnily enough I’m quite partial to a bit of “urban grot” myself and fancy a dabble in modern image (1950s) well it’s modern for me!:D

I’m afraid “Lesser Wenlock” is long gone, but I’ve still got the station building and may use it in my proposed 1950’s project along with one of Bachman’s 117 class DMUs.

Im glad you enjoyed seeing the layout at Railex.

BW

Dave

ACD8474B-F2AD-4A85-B7D4-DC6FE809E431.jpeg.25b8d6424c9673e0c25c963c3f73c267.jpeg

809CC469-9132-4715-B653-D912880D0F2E.jpeg.5ece37740a0b24568ec437161bf68a07.jpeg

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

That had me diving for the indexModel Railway Journal No.73 (Wild Swan, 1994) pp. 203-210 - Little @wenlock of course! The architectural modelling (well, all the modelling) is superb. I expect that plated 4-plank wagon is grey rather than red, though.

Thanks Stephen :)  You are quite right the 4 planker was grey, In those days I didn’t even know that the GWR painted their wagons red!

BW

Dave

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, wenlock said:

Well spotted!  I’d never really thought about having a “modelling style”, but I suppose apart from the change of scale my modelling interests or methods haven’t really changed much:)  It is a little “chocolate boxey”, and I suppose I view the Edwardian period through rose tinted glasses, but I can’t bring myself to make Mr Dean’s finest grubby!  Funnily enough I’m quite partial to a bit of “urban grot” myself and fancy a dabble in modern image (1950s) well it’s modern for me!:D

I’m afraid “Lesser Wenlock” is long gone, but I’ve still got the station building and may use it in my proposed 1950’s project along with one of Bachman’s 117 class DMUs.

Im glad you enjoyed seeing the layout at Railex.

BW

Dave

ACD8474B-F2AD-4A85-B7D4-DC6FE809E431.jpeg.25b8d6424c9673e0c25c963c3f73c267.jpeg

809CC469-9132-4715-B653-D912880D0F2E.jpeg.5ece37740a0b24568ec437161bf68a07.jpeg

Thanks Stephen :)  You are quite right the 4 planker was grey, In those days I didn’t even know that the GWR painted their wagons red!

BW

Dave

i have a recollection of seeing Lesser Wenlock at a show many years ago, possibly York but i went to so many that they all blur into one. That stuck in my mind as much as your latest one.

I don't have a problem with urban grot either but so many layouts go down that route that it makes anything from other periods stand out from the crowd. My present project is an Edwardian period layout but set in a grotty city environment, hopefully highlighting the contrast between the super finish of the locos and carriages against the drab surroundings. I hope the contrast works in model form, it may look as if the two aspects don't belong together!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

i have a recollection of seeing Lesser Wenlock at a show many years ago, possibly York but i went to so many that they all blur into one. That stuck in my mind as much as your latest one.

I don't have a problem with urban grot either but so many layouts go down that route that it makes anything from other periods stand out from the crowd. My present project is an Edwardian period layout but set in a grotty city environment, hopefully highlighting the contrast between the super finish of the locos and carriages against the drab surroundings. I hope the contrast works in model form, it may look as if the two aspects don't belong together!

I mainly exhibited Lesser Wenlock in South, but did head further a field a few times including York, so you may well be right again:)  The furthest afield was taking the layout on the Harwich ferry across Holland and then on to Utrecht, that was quite an adventure!

I very much like the idea of the contrast between shiny locos and the drab surroundings!  I’ve drawn a couple of schemes modelling a cramped city terminus with loads of recessed brick arches and over bridges in the “cut and cover style” seen on the Metropolitan line in London:)  Could you post a link to your project, it sounds very interesting!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Crichel Down said:

It became clear some time ago that  copies of MRJ 278 are available from retail outlets (where these are open), and so reports that someone has seen copies at such and such an outlet are really of no interest.

Many thanks for letting us know your opinion about what postings to this forum are of value. I’m sure that you are a person of some significance in the world of toy trains - you certainly seem to think so - and I will make sure I check with you in future before daring to post anything.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

There is something of a tradition, though much deprecated by Mr York and frequently with reason, of reporting sightings of the current MRJ in the wild. As the OP this time round, I shall certainly be reporting the arrival of my subscription copy!

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, wenlock said:

I mainly exhibited Lesser Wenlock in South, but did head further a field a few times including York, so you may well be right again:)  The furthest afield was taking the layout on the Harwich ferry across Holland and then on to Utrecht, that was quite an adventure!

I very much like the idea of the contrast between shiny locos and the drab surroundings!  I’ve drawn a couple of schemes modelling a cramped city terminus with loads of recessed brick arches and over bridges in the “cut and cover style” seen on the Metropolitan line in London:)  Could you post a link to your project, it sounds very interesting!

I did Utrecht as a guest operator on Gresley Beat. As you say, an adventure! There isn't anything on the web yet for the new layout. I am not the most consistent at doing threads or recording what I do.

There are not any suitable prototypes so I have made one up. The story is that the Sheffield District Railway (Real!) had a couple of stations on the line that went from Langwth Junction to Sheffield but in Sheffield itself, it only had a large goods facility. Passenger trains worked into Sheffield Midland.

Giving them a small passenger terminus at Attercliffe will allow Midland, GCR and GNR services to places like Doncaster, Barnsley and down the SDR to Chesterfield, Lincoln and Nottingham, perhaps even with through carriages to be attached to a London bound express.

All structures, signalling and P.Way are to be based on LD&ECR examples but the period will be 1908, just after the line was taken over by the GCR, which will allow much more variety of liveries and stock.

One thing I think may be a bit novel is that the layout is a double track, three platform terminus with a loading dock and a loco spur but only has 5 conventional points. I am attaching a poor snap to show progress so far. I am building it to the old "Manchester" EM standards (18mm gauge 0.8mm check rail gap) as I have got hold of a lot of carriages and wagons built by the late Sid Stubbs and I would like to have somewhere to run them.

SDR1.jpg.ec678d93391d0f1e773bfc89ddb6b87f.jpg

All this is a bit "off topic" for MRJ but that is the way RMWeb goes sometimes!

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I did Utrecht as a guest operator on Gresley Beat. As you say, an adventure! There isn't anything on the web yet for the new layout. I am not the most consistent at doing threads or recording what I do.

There are not any suitable prototypes so I have made one up. The story is that the Sheffield District Railway (Real!) had a couple of stations on the line that went from Langwth Junction to Sheffield but in Sheffield itself, it only had a large goods facility. Passenger trains worked into Sheffield Midland.

Giving them a small passenger terminus at Attercliffe will allow Midland, GCR and GNR services to places like Doncaster, Barnsley and down the SDR to Chesterfield, Lincoln and Nottingham, perhaps even with through carriages to be attached to a London bound express.

All structures, signalling and P.Way are to be based on LD&ECR examples but the period will be 1908, just after the line was taken over by the GCR, which will allow much more variety of liveries and stock.

One thing I think may be a bit novel is that the layout is a double track, three platform terminus with a loading dock and a loco spur but only has 5 conventional points. I am attaching a poor snap to show progress so far. I am building it to the old "Manchester" EM standards (18mm gauge 0.8mm check rail gap) as I have got hold of a lot of carriages and wagons built by the late Sid Stubbs and I would like to have somewhere to run them.

SDR1.jpg.ec678d93391d0f1e773bfc89ddb6b87f.jpg

All this is a bit "off topic" for MRJ but that is the way RMWeb goes sometimes!

That sounds a very interesting project with lots of scope for some lovely liveries and shiny brass work!:)  There's a lovely flow about the point work, please do post more pictures as you make progress, I’m sure Im not alone in wanting to see more!

As you say “a bit off topic “ for the thread about MRJ,  we’d better let it return to its intended purpose!

BW

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, wenlock said:

As you say “a bit off topic “ for the thread about MRJ,  we’d better let it return to its intended purpose!

But not before I've said, @t-b-g, any work-in-progress photos with Sid Stubbs' stock posed to show planned working will be especially appreciated!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

But not before I've said, @t-b-g, any work-in-progress photos with Sid Stubbs' stock posed to show planned working will be especially appreciated!

Fair enough! The corner of the coal wagon and the 6 wheel full brake out of focus in the background are his!

I really should start my own thread on the project but my progress on most things is so slow that any thread I start quickly falls off the grid!

In the background of the photo you can see one of the reasons. the boards were placed on top of the Buckingham fiddle yard for photographing! Plus I build things for others, so any modelling for myself is very "now and then".

Here is one more for now. Locos by Malcolm Crawley, stock by Sid Stubbs, track by t-b-g! The Spion Kop nameplate is a "Procast" replica but that is another story! This was checking platform lengths before laying the plain track on the further board.  I wanted to ensure that a tender loco with 5 bogie carriages fitted. It does, just!

DSCN2416.JPG.ca62e3cefbe31281fafdcf5fadcd538f.JPG

• Like 13

52 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

There is something of a tradition, though much deprecated by Mr York and frequently with reason, of reporting sightings of the current MRJ in the wild. As the OP this time round, I shall certainly be reporting the arrival of my subscription copy!

So shall I.  It is the first issue of a renewed subscription.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, RichardT said:

Many thanks for letting us know your opinion about what postings to this forum are of value. I’m sure that you are a person of some significance in the world of toy trains - you certainly seem to think so - and I will make sure I check with you in future before daring to post anything.

I suggest you re-read Andy York's post (as moderator) on 28 March.  Your post (and others like it) was exactly the sort of  thing he had in mind.  First sighting of a particular issue of a magazine is helpful,  so that we all then know that it has been published and is being or has been distributed to retail outlets, but reports of subsequent sightings are of no interest. 

My admonition  was not directed specifically at your post (although it happened to appear immediately after yours) .  However, if the cap fits, wear it.  You were certainly one of the offenders. 

The fact that there is also a copy of the Railway Muddler in Snodgrass's Newsagents in Great Snoring really is of no interest.  So I am sure I am not the only reader who would appreciate it  people would kindly refrain from posting that sort of nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

@Crichel Down, @RichardT, I see that although infrequent posters you are both log-standing forum members. I for one am sorry that you have upped your post count scrapping like this - the phrase "old enough to know better" springs to mind. As I've said, there's a bit of harmless fun in MRJ spotting for which, as OP of the topic this time round, I take some responsibility, having provided the opportunity. Let's pass by in silence and leave the moderation to @Andy Y. (Says he, failing to take his own advice.)

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Fair enough! The corner of the coal wagon and the 6 wheel full brake out of focus in the background are his!

I really should start my own thread on the project but my progress on most things is so slow that any thread I start quickly falls off the grid!

In the background of the photo you can see one of the reasons. the boards were placed on top of the Buckingham fiddle yard for photographing! Plus I build things for others, so any modelling for myself is very "now and then".

Here is one more for now. Locos by Malcolm Crawley, stock by Sid Stubbs, track by t-b-g! The Spion Kop nameplate is a "Procast" replica but that is another story! This was checking platform lengths before laying the plain track on the further board.  I wanted to ensure that a tender loco with 5 bogie carriages fitted. It does, just!

DSCN2416.JPG.ca62e3cefbe31281fafdcf5fadcd538f.JPG

I think you should certainly start a thread on this Tony, it looks a cracking project. My Bath layout (link below) moves along at a snails pace but I find keeping the thread like a diary of its slow progress is very helpful. I'd certainly follow it.

As for it being off topic, well maybe but it makes much better reading than .........

Jerry

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1