MRJ 278

Compound2632

Posted the cheque for my first ever MRJ subscription on 6th April,  & 278 arrived this morning - so pretty good service from both Cygnet & the RM (especially as my cheque hasn't been cashed!). It looks an excellent issue too.

Martin

• Like 1

1 minute ago, martinT said:

Posted the cheque for my first ever MRJ subscription on 6th April,  & 278 arrived this morning - so pretty good service from both Cygnet & the RM (especially as my cheque hasn't been cashed!). It looks an excellent issue too.

Martin

So I take it that the subscription issues distribution problem has been overcome, and that us long-term subscribers can expect imminent delivery of our copies?

John Isherwood.

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I went into town this morning and popped into Smiffs and sadly the MRJ has not yet reached this far west.

It maybe, as in Penzance this morning, they've already been sold.
There was just one copy on the shelf in Smiths (PZ).
Normally after a month there's 4 -  5 copies there.
Obviously, I had that (last?) copy.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Our postie (who looks very much like a slightly younger Rhys Ifans) delivered a delightful, small package from a lovely little model shop in the Forest of Dean this morning but sadly no subscription copy of MRJ 278 as yet.

I would say, however, that I'm still getting much value from the previous issue!

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, t-b-g said:

DSCN2416.JPG.ca62e3cefbe31281fafdcf5fadcd538f.JPG

Just realised your 800 is No.25 which is what mine was going to be. Ive no evidence that she made it down to Bath but 24 and 25 were two of the last survivors at Saltley shed and Saltley 2-4-0s were common at Bath so thats good enough for me!

jerry

IMG_2255.JPG.4058cc48f143ecb1eb6ed2e14ea83a05.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

So I take it that the subscription issues distribution problem has been overcome, and that us long-term subscribers can expect imminent delivery of our copies?

John Isherwood.

I doubt it, though I'm happy to be proved wrong.  278 is the first issue of my renewed subscription, which I paid for on 2nd March.  I fear that Martin T's good fortune is a flash in the pan.

Chris

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Just realised your 800 is No.25 which is what mine was going to be. Ive no evidence that she made it down to Bath but 24 and 25 were two of the last survivors at Saltley shed and Saltley 2-4-0s were common at Bath so thats good enough for me!

jerry

IMG_2255.JPG.4058cc48f143ecb1eb6ed2e14ea83a05.JPG

I can't remember why we ended up with that one other than I recall Malcolm Crawley finding a nice photograph that showed the combination of details. It ran on a fictitious line anyway, so nobody can say "It didn't run there". It was one of the better Jidenco kits. Very little swearing was involved once the coupling rod and driving wheel centres were sorted out. The bodywork went together pretty well.

We will have to post a photo of big and little No. 25s together sometime, as I did with Tim Watson for the 3 Valours in 2, 4 and 7mm scales!

Yours looks like it only needs a coat of paint, so she should be finished soon. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

59 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I can't remember why we ended up with that one other than I recall Malcolm Crawley finding a nice photograph that showed the combination of details. It ran on a fictitious line anyway, so nobody can say "It didn't run there". It was one of the better Jidenco kits. Very little swearing was involved once the coupling rod and driving wheel centres were sorted out. The bodywork went together pretty well.

We will have to post a photo of big and little No. 25s together sometime, as I did with Tim Watson for the 3 Valours in 2, 4 and 7mm scales!

Yours looks like it only needs a coat of paint, so she should be finished soon. 

Mine is from a shot down etch, I dont know the origins but could well be Jidenco.

Its only needed a coat of paint for about three years now so.......

Jerry

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood.

Well, maybe the RM is at fault - a downside of swapping the boring flatness of Cambridgeshire for the charms of the West Country? (I'm with you in spirit but unfortunately I can't sell the charms of the West Country to my wife :()

Martin

5 minutes ago, martinT said:

Well, maybe the RM is at fault - a downside of swapping the boring flatness of Cambridgeshire for the charms of the West Country? (I'm with you in spirit but unfortunately I can't sell the charms of the West Country to my wife :()

Martin

My wife was less than enthusiastic at first, but is now happy to admit that it is the best thing that we ever did.

Life here is so much quieter and more civilised - it comes as something of a culture shock when we go back 'up country'.

If we have to socially isolate, I'm glad it's here and not Cambridgeshire!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

PS. The RM is excellent down here - we know the postman by name, and he is happy to take our outgoing post when making deliveries.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Our WHS is closed for the duration and I wouldn't be surprised if it stayed that way afterwards, whenever that will be. Fortunately the excellent independent newsagent Brian next to Seaford station had several copies this morning. It had one less when I left. Sherton Abbas impressed me no end.

• Thanks 1

Overseas subscription copies, which are sent out by Shirley Rowe in Devon, have a separate distribution system from those in the UK. That could account for mine arriving while you guys in the UK are still waiting delivery.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Killybegs said:

Overseas subscription copies, which are sent out by Shirley Rowe in Devon, have a separate distribution system from those in the UK. That could account for mine arriving while you guys in the UK are still waiting delivery.

I will say this, while some of us are waiting for the next edition, I've definitely learned more about the MRJ distribution system than at any other time!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Although I have every issue from 0 onwards, I took out subscription from this issue due to our newsagents being closed.  It arrived today, but that is immaterial, what I really liked was the hand-written address, in beautiful handwriting - SO MRJ!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Increased demand for MRJ? Maybe they are recruiting with a view to an creating an on-line electronic copy? These are appearing tie wrapped to lamposts around the country.

cynusjobs.jpg.1176f633ca5dc4f240291af1cc392621.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Please to report that the post man has just made his way up the drive to the manor house, and my subscription copy has been delivered.  It will now be undergoing social isolation for the next 24 hours, after which a good read is anticipated.

Adrian

Let flags be flown on municipal buildings and a public holiday declared!  My copy has arrived in sunny Bedford and I will read it while sipping my tea.  I wonder why there is no date of posting on the envelope ... ?

Chris

Edited by chrisf
typo
  • Friendly/supportive 1