MRJ 278

Compound2632

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

If every single person who gets MRJ posted on here when they got their copy, I wonder how many pages it would fill?

Dunno, but it’d be less than the thread asking is it in Smiths yet?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

If every single person who gets MRJ posted on here when they got their copy, I wonder how many pages it would fill?

Significantly less than if we were to all post in the meantime that our subs copies hadn’t arrived yet...

P.S. Nothing yet in, ironically, Didcot...

P.P.S Not complaining - still enjoying the anti....ci.....pation.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Enough to fill a special edition MRJ 278½

• Funny 1

My doorbell rang and thinking it was the postie with my copy I hastily ran down to see.......Humph !

It was my ex who had kindly dropped a few bits of food off for me ( very kind of her )......but slightly disappointed.

Ah ! Well at least today I can have my cake and eat it !!! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Increased demand for MRJ? Maybe they are recruiting with a view to an creating an on-line electronic copy? These are appearing tie wrapped to lamposts around the country.

cynusjobs.jpg.1176f633ca5dc4f240291af1cc392621.jpg

What? Anyway, do swans honk? Round here, that's the geese. And up to £40 - is that lifetime earnings?

Puts me in mind of the restaurant menu: "salmon, wild when available". You bet - I would be!

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

As I said, as the OP, I reserve the right to post on the arrival of my subscription copy this morning. Paul Karau and his team at Cygnet are to be congratulated on getting this edition out to us under these exceptional circumstances. Jerry Clifford's editorial on the joy of making things is very timely, I imagine more so than he suspected when he wrote it.

It does say "MRJ No. 279 should be on sale on 14th May 2020"... 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

And up to £40 - is that lifetime earnings?

Sounds like a good deal to me. £40.00, that's about the same as my lifetime savings. "Honking" II thought that referred to something you did after eating some Bristol caviar. 

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I'll do my best..arrived in Keynsham this morning.....

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Must admit Id normally huff and puff at these sort of 'me too' posts about subs copies turning up but for this issue I'm heartened to hear that they are now getting through. I'm not going to go into details but getting this issue out has been a nightmare with it being printed just as the printers were shut down to all the normal distribution channels seemingly closing like dominoes in front of it.

MRJ 279 may be a little late........

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 31A said:

Subscription copy also delivered here in York this morning - thanks to all involved. :good_mini:

8 hours ago, t-b-g said:

36 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Must admit Id normally huff and puff at these sort of 'me too' posts about subs copies turning up but for this issue I'm heartened to hear that they are now getting through. I'm not going to go into details but getting this issue out has been a nightmare with it being printed just as the printers were shut down to all the normal distribution channels seemingly closing like dominoes in front of it.

MRJ 279 may be a little late........

Jerry

I wouldn't normally have made such a post but under the circumstances I thought it might have been encouraging to people who are waiting to know that they are getting through.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Dear Sir

I felt obligated to report that the most recent issuance of your journal was received at my residence this very morning. Pending the now obligatory decontamination of the mail and other items received from persons unconnected I will peruse the aforementioned journal in due course and report on any relevant findings.

I can only apologise for not previously providing a detailed record of my occupations whilst awaiting the arrival of this tome. Further, residing in a location not in the vicinity of the epnoymous outlet of Mr W H Smith I have not been able to provide an update on deliveries to this locale. I trust that this failure in my choice of residence will not disadvantage you greatly or cause any unnecessary distress.

Your humble servant

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, bgman said:

It was my ex who had kindly dropped a few bits of food off for me ( very kind of her )......but slightly disappointed.

An ex who brings food round is one to be treasured!  Mine had the house, the car and has never brought round so much as an Oxo cube:D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Nah, it'll need to go some to beat the notorious MRJ 236 thread.  Gawd bless him.  (and Stan Kenton)

I had forgotten about that, so I had a look. The 236 thread was massively entertaining, covering all sorts of subjects from Jenny Agutter to German sausages and there was a fairly decent discussion about MRJ editorial policy, the content of the magazine and several other matters.

There were actually a tiny number of comments about it arriving in Smiths!

Compared to that, I am sorry people but "My MRJ has arrived" has very little entertainment value. I can just imagine what Roy Jackson would have been muttering under his breath! It would have begun with "What a bunch of........." but if I add any more than that, my days here would be numbered, with a very small number!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

It would have begun with

And ended with an ‘s’.

Mine arrived, subscription, Newark, yesterday. Printed label.

Notts, not New Jersey.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, PMP said:

Mine arrived, subscription, Newark, yesterday. Printed label.

Notts, not New Jersey.

Many years ago we received a postcard from a Polish friend of my wife, who had forgotten to write "Anglia" or "Wielka Brytania" on the address. It had taken a while to reach us and was overstamped "Not Reading PA"!

• Like 1

It arrived this morning so when the sun reaches the decking in an hour or so I will have a good read.

A renewal slip was enclosed. That was a quick six months.

It might well be silly and childish to update on the delivery situation, but in these difficult times it does show that people are still in circulation and have not been carted off to  hospital or an even worse fate.

A big thank you to those who have posted here and given me guidance as to when to start to look out for the postman.

Bernard 

• Like 3

On a serious note, I hope everyone is remembering to follow NHS guidelines and dispose of the card backed envelope and wash their hands afterwards as Covid-19 can survive on card for more than 24 hours. Just remember how many letters / letter flaps the postie touches as they do their rounds.

As someone who extremely vulnerable I have quarantined my copy for 3 days, although I did have a quick look using a rail offcut to turn the pages whilst the magazine laid on the quarantine table.

For this reason MRJ and NG&IRMR are the only magazines I don't have digitally (because I can't).

Edited by vaughan45
Content expanded
  • Friendly/supportive 1