Casting Plaster. Alternatives.

I need to make a large number of rocks using Woodland Scenics moulds. So far I have used the end of my Linka Casting Compound, bought in the early 1980s, and a carton of WS Lightweight Hydrocal and I still need to make a lot more. So on the lookout for cheaper alternatives. 4Kg of Plaster of Paris is about £12 and Herculite No.2 is £27 for 25Kg. Has anyone used these? Will they come out of the moulds cleanly? What other options are there?

I want to create something like this, the High Ledge on the Durango & Silverton.

I'll be using Sculptamold as a base and between rocks. And smaller rocks will use the real thing.

IMG_5181.JPG.bb819e3bb6efdf2fefc897167323ad1c.JPG

I've used Herculite 2; it does the job but seems a little harder than Hydrocal that comes with the Woodland Scenics mould starter set (which is how I got going). It can be painted in the same way with washes, though I found that it didn't quite take the paint in the same way, possible a difference in porosity.

• Like 1

In another field of interest I use extra fine building plaster, as sold for doing fancy ceiling mouldings. It costs me ~Au$23 per 25 kg bag. It's durable and takes detail very well, down to replicating brush marks and fingerprints in the release agent. I would expect it to work well in your application. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've used Hydrocal, and Densite, both imported from the USA to Australia, and sold for about £12 for a 22.5kg bag.

Do a bit of investigating and I'm sure you will find a "life casting" or perhaps even dental casting supplier who is importing them in the UK.

Much more cost effective for casting large numbers of rocks, and works just as elegantly as the Woodland Scenics stuff.

1112c.jpg.bdb29814584b4eeee506f8a6752e543d.jpg

Cheers

Scott

• Like 2

How about a "one coat" plaster? They are fine particle but OK in thick / solid sections.

I've never tried one for casting, but I have used the stuff in the past as bulk filler and it works well.

You can get it from such as wickes or B&Q, or in 25Kg bags (around £15) from builders merchants.

https://www.diy.com/departments/thistle-one-coat-plaster-12-5kg/147437_BQ.prd

https://www.wickes.co.uk/British-Gypsum-Thistle-One-Coat-Plaster---12-5kg/p/141937

• Informative/Useful 1

It might be worth looking for a supplier to the Ceramics industry; gypsum-based plaster is used to make moulds for 'china'. Back in the winter of 1979-80, I worked at Longport goods yard, Stoke-on-Trent, unloading ferry vans carrying sacks of the stuff. It was noticeably finer than builder's plaster.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1