Hawthorn Leslie made some 0-6-2t locos with inside valve gear and outside cylinders if you need some justification for using that layout. I think that with a parallel boiler and a new cab/bunker design, this could look like a convincing goods loco. When I mention a change to the cab design, this could be a simple change of shape to the cutout. This is just a suggestion though. Go for whichever route you think would work best.

On 05/04/2020 at 16:37, The Johnster said:

When I suggested outside Walchaert's valve gear, my thinking was that the Giesl and taper/Belpaire boiler suggested a fairly modern type of loco, and a requirement from the customer for a minimum of inside frame maintenance; perhaps there is no inspection pit.  A suitable running chassis with modern looking cylinders is probably the Bachmann Ivatt 2MT tank, which will give you better slow running than the Lima, and leave the cab clear for detailing.  A retrofit dome for this or the Ivatt 2MT mogul would be suitable as well, as are those from the S160 'USA' tank.

Rule 1 trumps everything, but I couldn't get my disbelief suspension software to accept a 4575 GW small prairie rebuilt after accident damage to be sold off into private industry.  Swindon wouldn't have done this,  they'd have either rebuilt the loco as a 4575, possibly fitting auto gear if this was 1953, or dismantled the loco to provide additional stock of spare parts, if these were in good condition at the time of the accident.  For this reason I am encouraging you to make the loco look as little like a GW product as possible.  

I can live with the following scenario, just about; a private industrial built 'in house' like the Dowlais Steelworks locos utilising a second hand Swindon No.3 boiler in good condition from an accident victim, dating it to the early 60s.  Hunslet type Austerities were still being built for the NCB at this time; I leave it to you to invent an industrial scenario for a modern steam loco, perhaps with a Porta underfeed stoking system for single manning and mirrors so that it can be driven from either side of the cab.  Livery would almost certainly be plain black with red painted rods and motion, yellow buffer beams, possibly wasp stripes.

This is an interesting project and I'm eager to see how it turns out.  

Maybe on for the future with a Bachmann chassis! This may become a prototype for a Frankenstein class of loco eventually. And thank you for the information on the valve gear ect- I have very limited knowledge in this sector so having someone point out what would work in a historical sense is greatly appreciated!

Noted! Don't want any Swindonites after me. Hopefully with some other modification it will look less like a 45xx- maybe just inspired in design. Maybe fitting in with your invented scenario; in house designing for industry has always fascinated me so this could be a good time to exercise it in model form. Hmmm... 

Thanks, I am too! currently plating about with fitting the ejector and redesigning a cab, unfortunately around the Lima pancake. However, having given it a service it is running quite well!

On 05/04/2020 at 21:27, Justang said:

Hawthorn Leslie made some 0-6-2t locos with inside valve gear and outside cylinders if you need some justification for using that layout. I think that with a parallel boiler and a new cab/bunker design, this could look like a convincing goods loco. When I mention a change to the cab design, this could be a simple change of shape to the cutout. This is just a suggestion though. Go for whichever route you think would work best.

Thanks, not a manufacture I've looked into much so I will chase those locos down!

Thanks, I am mocking up some new cab designs as we speak- just to break away from the Churchward (I think) style! Especially as a 14xx has joined the fleet. Don't want people to think its Swindon!

Thanks!

I hope the route I take makes a decent looking loco!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very little work done to this project as I've been scrubbing in on a competition ('A4 Diorama Competition 2020' here on RMWeb if you are interested) and other work has taken place too. 

However I have glued the giesl ejector in place, I don't think it looks to bad!

0-6-2.jpg.4eb8888649064710cf5be01695061d9e.jpg

Oh and I have started the fictional history, but its only a start so any ideas for that would be greatly appreciated. Through this it will gain its name 'Heapton No.3'- nameplates that have been ordered as well as Peckett style works plates. 

• Like 1