Kyle of Lochalsh (West)

Defford

21 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

I have the year of 1946 for the turntable replacement. [ source  A history of Highland Locomotives by Peter Rowlands and A.C.V Allchin ]

it spelled the beginning of the end for the "Clan Goods" which some regarded as stronger engines than the black 5s which replaced them,

I like this a lot, and will be following your progress with interest.  As well as having had late-1960s family holidays in the area, I was part of the team dismantling the 60' turntable in 1977 for removal to Aviemore on the Strathspey Railway.

I think I read an article in a back number of Railway Magazine which mentioned the use of LMS Class 4 2-6-4T locos on Kyle Line services while the turntable was being replaced.

Tiny tip... yellow snowploughs didn't appear until well into the "Rail blue period", circa 1972 from personal recollection: prior to that they were black/grey/dirt - see the colour pic of the green Type 2 in Portchullin Tatty's post above.

Alasdair

Edited by AJCT
Spelling !

20 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

I have the year of 1946 for the turntable replacement. [ source  A history of Highland Locomotives by Peter Rowlands and A.C.V Allchin ]

it spelled the beginning of the end for the "Clan Goods" which some regarded as stronger engines than the black 5s which replaced them,

I stand corrected; the turntable was renewed in 1946.   The line used the large stanier tanks whilst it was reconstructed.

The photos I looked at suggest that the hut was not installed until the early 1950s but I would need to research a bit more to get the date - but it is pre your era.

If Defford is not aware of this book; it is worth it:

853085704_DavidMcConnell.jpg.72168fa44dec70faed4d46cc7bc5e7c3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi all. Thanks for the further comments and information. I hope you're having a reasonable Good Friday in the circumstances.

On 07/04/2020 at 10:57, AJCT said:

I like this a lot, and will be following your progress with interest.  As well as having had late-1960s family holidays in the area, I was part of the team dismantling the 60' turntable in 1977 for removal to Aviemore on the Strathspey Railway.

I think I read an article in a back number of Railway Magazine which mentioned the use of LMS Class 4 2-6-4T locos on Kyle Line services while the turntable was being replaced.

Tiny tip... yellow snowploughs didn't appear until well into the "Rail blue period", circa 1972 from personal recollection: prior to that they were black/grey/dirt - see the colour pic of the green Type 2 in Portchullin Tatty's post above.

Alasdair

Cheers Alasdair. I'm modelling out of historical interest rather than memory and in fact only came to know the Kyle line in the early 2000s so these anecdotes and details are welcome. I guess the shed had been demolished by '77. Did you ever get a ride in an observation coach?

Noted re. the snow ploughs. I may paint them, then again I quite like the yellow!

On 07/04/2020 at 19:55, Portchullin Tatty said:

[Rails to Kyle of Lochalsh

Thanks, I'll look it up. Looking at your blog again, I've just realised your father wrote 'The Dingwall and Skye Railway' - my compliments on a good read.

Now a quick update. I've spent a bit of time this week tackling some scenic work on the lochside board.

IMG_3012.jpg.6ad90e40a04bafae113cf085dd4d0609.jpg

The outcrops are lumps of DAS clay shaped by hand then prodded with a blunt blade. I may add some more height to the rock face on this section. I've given them an acrylic wash and some dry brushing. The sea is a mix of acrylics and will be given a few layers of PVA for a calm or gently rippled effect.

IMG_3018.jpg.3faba6dc8ed119d16ef30f49041ae79a.jpgIMG_3016.jpg.46eaef2ca9c6372a03729184c6f4cc8f.jpg

I've also begun on the embankment. This is Woodland Scenics 'Talus' (medium and coarse grades) held in place with Deluxe Tacky Glue. The larger rocks are perhaps slightly out of scale but overall the effect works for me. There's actually a big size difference between medium and coarse and it took a bit of sorting to find the smallest of the latter. The stuff also sounds a bit like fingernails on a blackboard when you handle it! :excl:

Think I'll sprinkle on some ballast to cover the gaps. Nearer the line will be some fencing and a bit of greenery. The bridge also needs some tubular guard rails...

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Defford said:

Cheers Alasdair. I'm modelling out of historical interest rather than memory and in fact only came to know the Kyle line in the early 2000s so these anecdotes and details are welcome. I guess the shed had been demolished by '77. Did you ever get a ride in an observation coach?

Noted re. the snow ploughs. I may paint them, then again I quite like the yellow!

The shed had certainly gone by 1977 - in fact the roof had gone by the date of the green BRCW Type 2 pic further up this thread.  The turntable was out-of-use after the observation car was withdrawn which I think was in the late 1960s but I'd have to do some research to check.  Didn't get a run in the Kyle line car but I think managed a short trip in the Mallaig one in about 1962 or 63.

After the first 2 BRCW 26s (D5300/01) were restored to green livery for railtour etc work in August 1992 they may have sported yellow ploughs, but that was probably due to contemporary safety requirements.

HTH

Alasdair

Edited by AJCT
Date correction
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Defford said:

Evening all. Lock down is proving quite productive on the modelling front. I've made headway on the loch side board - overview below:

IMG_3052.jpg.7cf9133dea43087437f9eb70dbdac7f7.jpg

And a couple of arty shots:

IMG_3045.jpg.f34f1773fe6a8d2e8faa093d5c84d218.jpg

45205 brings in the mixed freight

IMG_3050.jpg.9d1c824d1db546b173284e6f13ebabae.jpg

Followed by D5307 with the morning passenger working

I'll be adding some more scrub, greenery and a scattering of boulders to the headland plus perhaps a few small trees. A couple of small sailing boats in the bay might look good too.

I'm also looking for a way of doing a post and wire fence. Anyone got any tips for N/2mm scale?

Meanwhile, thought I'd upload the track plan (still looking to add the coal siding at some point):

kyle_track_plan.jpg.d8077c0885feb5aadfb8832e78a3901b.jpg

The tapering of the loch board and the hidden 90 deg bend were part of a cunning plan to fit the layout around the side of a computer desk! Seems to have worked out.

All the best,

Adrian.

Speechless!

Truly truly stunning!  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

That is looking great Adrian! The sea especially so.

Did you ever consider swapping the rapido’s for DG couplings? It makes such a difference especially the front of the locos...

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

Speechless!

Truly truly stunning!  

7 hours ago, bcnPete said:

That is looking great Adrian! The sea especially so.

You're too kind! Thanks again. I am pleased with the water effect and have a couple of sailing boats on order to complete the scene.

7 hours ago, bcnPete said:

Did you ever consider swapping the rapido’s for DG couplings? It makes such a difference especially the front of the locos...

I hadn't but they look smart, if fiddly. It would be good to have some hands-free shunting on the pier. How much re-engineering does it take to convert a standard Peco wagon for instance?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Defford said:

I hadn't but they look smart, if fiddly. It would be good to have some hands-free shunting on the pier. How much re-engineering does it take to convert a standard Peco wagon for instance?

I think DG are popular amongst the 2FS community although I find the dropper a bit fiddly to make personally. There are Jig’s though and Bryn of this parish did a good step by step to making them on here I recall.

Depends if you have fixed rakes or not? I tend to close couple my passenger and parcels stock using Dapol knuckle couplings with a DG at each end of the rake. You could do the same for wagons or individually as I did for my rake of 20T vans so they can be broken up a bit and shunted.

Hope that helps, Pete

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely layout and all to a precise clean standard. The pics of Ernie`s are well worth a look to see how Kyle station has changed - the sidings on both halves and the freight buildings on the pier seem a constantly moving feast! 

Thanks for sharing 

Robert 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, hope you're keeping well.

Progress has slowed recently (busy home-working, for the time being at least), but have been painting hills on the back scene:

IMG_3073.jpg.375fb8273bc2a854d9128c7bda978670.jpg

You will note the surprising appearance of a class 37 that appears to have travelled back in time to 1960. Of course it's the wrong era for this layout, but a 'Highlander' Farish set came up on eBay at the end of last year and I couldn't resist the chance to buy something specific to the Kyle Line (even if the box refers to it as the 'Far North Line' :nono: ). Will probably run occasionally for variety.

The Loco and coaches are very nicely done and the supplied DCC decoder seems to be high quality. I'm liking the high intensity headlight - photographed below with side-lighting for a sunset effect(!):

IMG_3069.jpg.e83bd7494f669b80cae59c04fcb0647c.jpg

Also, just a note about the cassette system I have in case it's of interest. I'm using various lengths of aluminum angle with some 3D printed brackets I devised. These space the inner edges of the angle at 9mm and make for a kind of 'cradle' to carry the rakes in. This one's 500mm long:

IMG_3080.jpg.d51923652e6de033c344e2f63871c47c.jpg

Longest one I have is 1 metre and uses 4 brackets - lifting that and turning it around is a dubious undertaking - but generally it works well. The bracket is sized so that the height of the 'rail head' matches that of Peco code 80 when placed on the same level.

The cassette board has a couple of guides and some sprung clips to provide electrical contact:

IMG_3082.jpg.408bfbb02cea18da94f5a3689028f516.jpg

All the best,

Adrian.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Defford said:

Hi all, hope you're keeping well.

Progress has slowed recently (busy home-working, for the time being at least), but have been painting hills on the back scene:

IMG_3073.jpg.375fb8273bc2a854d9128c7bda978670.jpg

You will note the surprising appearance of a class 37 that appears to have travelled back in time to 1960. Of course it's the wrong era for this layout, but a 'Highlander' Farish set came up on eBay at the end of last year and I couldn't resist the chance to buy something specific to the Kyle Line (even if the box refers to it as the 'Far North Line' :nono: ). Will probably run occasionally for variety.

The Loco and coaches are very nicely done and the supplied DCC decoder seems to be high quality. I'm liking the high intensity headlight - photographed below with side-lighting for a sunset effect(!):

IMG_3069.jpg.e83bd7494f669b80cae59c04fcb0647c.jpg

Oooh luvvly stuff - keep em coming like that :yes:

Got a couple of those coaches myself and just waiting for the observation car to be released.

Would be great to see the whole layout with a fleet of large logo 37’s :D

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/05/2020 at 19:00, bcnPete said:

Oooh luvvly stuff - keep em coming like that :yes:

Got a couple of those coaches myself and just waiting for the observation car to be released.

Would be great to see the whole layout with a fleet of large logo 37’s 

Cheers Pete. The Farish 37 is a very nice model so it is tempting, if financially ruinous, to imagine a 'multi-era' layout! Not out of the question though...

I've noticed the observation car on the Farish website too - a bit pricey but I suppose it's something of a niche. I'd actually like to find or build a model of the 'Devon Belle' vehicle that was used on the line in the 50/60s but not sure where to start with that idea.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2020 at 19:55, Portchullin Tatty said:

I stand corrected; the turntable was renewed in 1946.   The line used the large stanier tanks whilst it was reconstructed.

The photos I looked at suggest that the hut was not installed until the early 1950s but I would need to research a bit more to get the date - but it is pre your era.

853085704_DavidMcConnell.jpg.72168fa44dec70faed4d46cc7bc5e7c3.jpg

Agree I bought this book a few weeks ago and have found it a very good read  and the photos are of high quality glad I found it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

It's been a long time since I last posted but progress on the layout has been slow lately. Still, I have just finished the side office for the engine shed which is now complete except for smoke vents.

As per the main body of the shed, I've used a 3D-printed 'kit of parts' approach:

IMG_3108.jpg.68eb8418a36868a49df79ed22f6f6659.jpg

These pieces get clad in embossed plastikard with etched brass windows sandwiched between layers plus some filler around inevitable gaps. The stonework then gets painted with acrylics before assembly and addition of roof and chimneys. Here's the end result:

IMG_3111.jpg.68eaaea54d3091ae6218cba513ad6d4c.jpg

I have also added limited clearance warning signs (which applies to the model as much as the real thing!) and soot marks above the door openings.

A wider angle shot with a Black 5 on shed:

IMG_3119.jpg.3d6d79b336fb13c2f7ec0c44149f990c.jpg

It's a long-winded method but it works. Planning to do the station building in a similar way.

Meanwhile I have reworked the hills on a section of back scene - an improvement but think I need to tone down the greens a bit:

IMG_3092_small.jpg.07af2deab40e39b4b2d0531bda177333.jpg

I couldn't resist buying another 'wrong era' loco that came up on ebay . This time a Farish class 24 in blue. It's a good runner and looks the part.

Finally here's an experiment with evening light with a type 2 shunting on the pier:

IMG_3105_small.jpg.e52e5d8714b7a7282002f80b190f59e7.jpg

Hope you enjoy,

Adrian.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

2 hours ago, bcnPete said:

Looking fab again.

BTW, nothing bad about those ‘wrong era’ locos...they look perfect to me :D

Thanks Pete. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of a sort of 'Kyle through time' concept. (i shan't be demolishing the engine shed though!)

Edited by Defford
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Defford said:

Thanks Pete. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of a sort of 'Kyle through time' concept. (i shan't be demolishing the engine shed though!)

Yes, I start mine with class 24’s which morph their way into class 26’s and then give way to class 37’s.

*No harm was done with this concept except to my wallet ;)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, Defford said:

Hi all,

It's been a long time since I last posted but progress on the layout has been slow lately. Still, I have just finished the side office for the engine shed which is now complete except for smoke vents.

As per the main body of the shed, I've used a 3D-printed 'kit of parts' approach:

IMG_3108.jpg.68eb8418a36868a49df79ed22f6f6659.jpg

These pieces get clad in embossed plastikard with etched brass windows sandwiched between layers plus some filler around inevitable gaps. The stonework then gets painted with acrylics before assembly and addition of roof and chimneys. Here's the end result:

IMG_3111.jpg.68eaaea54d3091ae6218cba513ad6d4c.jpg

I have also added limited clearance warning signs (which applies to the model as much as the real thing!) and soot marks above the door openings.

A wider angle shot with a Black 5 on shed:

IMG_3119.jpg.3d6d79b336fb13c2f7ec0c44149f990c.jpg

It's a long-winded method but it works. Planning to do the station building in a similar way.

Meanwhile I have reworked the hills on a section of back scene - an improvement but think I need to tone down the greens a bit:

IMG_3092_small.jpg.07af2deab40e39b4b2d0531bda177333.jpg

I couldn't resist buying another 'wrong era' loco that came up on ebay . This time a Farish class 24 in blue. It's a good runner and looks the part.

Finally here's an experiment with evening light with a type 2 shunting on the pier:

IMG_3105_small.jpg.e52e5d8714b7a7282002f80b190f59e7.jpg

Hope you enjoy,

Adrian.

Wow you have really nailed this. And as someone earlier in the thread said I did not realise it was 2mm til half way through the thread. Well modelled!

Cheers

David

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again for the positive comments.

The station building is taking shape. This is to be a half relief model against the back scene. Same technique as the engine shed - drawing up sections of wall (in FreeCAD), 3D printing them, painting, cladding in plastikard (will be 2mm planking in this case) and assembling as a kit of parts.

Here's a screenshot of one of the wall sections in FreeCAD:

wall2.jpeg.e302ace5fc3dda6d59206b98b19d0c8f.jpeg

It's roughly to scale - about 450mm long in all. I've now printed all 8 sections and glued plasticard internal walls/roof supports:

20200804_182823.jpg.25903c103c4b4701b55fffce89af704e.jpg

Still the roof, canopy, doors and other details to do and I'm also wondering what colour scheme to paint it in. It seems to have been two-tone green and cream/brown in the past but I'm not sure of dates. Favouring cream/brown at the moment to match the signal box.

Adrian.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...