Kyle of Lochalsh (West)

Defford

On 06/09/2020 at 17:02, David Bell said:

Coincidentally I was  Kyle today.

It is not the station it was but still has something about it.

Cheers

David

Thanks for that David. Yes, Kyle station is a shadow of its former self in some ways but at least it's still there. Your timing is spot on as I've been meaning to post an update.

I bought 'Rails to Kyle of Lochalsh' by David McConnell recently and it seems a few different writers thought the station building 'commodious' when the line first opened (there's a word you don't see any more!) My slightly less commodious version of it is nearly done - some tidying up to do and details to add but the structure it more or less complete:

IMG_3177.jpg.24b2050aed271c6b797e0252bb58fb31.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg.1877a2433cd6ae032a7c445d6f36ef91.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg.91f37a402e5baaedff99a409485662bd.jpg

Chimneys, flashing, signage and posters to add next.

Meanwhile, some trees have sprung up near the loch:

IMG_3181.jpg.86ec8b19d34eb06df2814e1dc411da62.jpg

These are a mix of Woodland Scenics 'Ready Made Value Pack' trees and some pricier birches from themodeltreeshop.co.uk. The WS trees looked a bit naff straight out of the box but work quite well when you group several together. Need to add some pines for a more Scottish look I think.

Adrian.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

That is looking brilliant. Sunday was the first time I had been in Kyle since 1979.

I used to work on SRPS railtours  and during the summers then I was there every other week or so, alternating with Mallaig. That is almost a lifetime ago.

Keep up the gòod work

Cheers

David

• Thanks 1

On 09/09/2020 at 21:39, David Bell said:

That is looking brilliant. Sunday was the first time I had been in Kyle since 1979.

I used to work on SRPS railtours  and during the summers then I was there every other week or so, alternating with Mallaig. That is almost a lifetime ago.

Keep up the gòod work

Cheers

David

Thanks David. Must have been interesting to visit Kyle after that length of time. I'm sure it was hard work, but alternating trips to Kyle and Mallaig sounds like it could have its rewards. Not sure if you were ever at Kyle while freight operations were still going on but I got sent this link the other day - the last 45 seconds shows some rail to ship transfers going on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1773455772921291/permalink/2432299610370234/

Building a model crane is on the to-do list for the layout. A working model would be a challenge!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Yet another Kyle fan, here in California, USA - and in N gauge as well.

I'm doing my version of Kyle almost exactly as you have done, just modelling the west side of the pier with the station in half relief, and the loco shed area. See the three photos below of the pier module. I need to take some further, more detailed shots of the shed module! And, yes, that's me behind the module in the third photo!

Each module - pier and shed - is 1metre long by 30 cm wide. I am building an insertable piece for the area between the pier and shed modules. I'm using Peco code 55 track components. I've also chosen the 1960s transition period and, from my sources, have determined that the year of transition to Diesel was 1961 or 62 with the shed being razed just a couple years later.

Please note that I model several different prototypes, so the structures and models shown (Taiwan prototype, modern era), including the pier facing (magnet-backed strip), are all interchangeable. But I'm sure you'll recognize the trackplan easily enough!

This brings me to a question: As you have done such an outstanding job producing the Scottish prototype structures in 3D printing, would you be willing to either print me a set or make the files available so that I could print a set here for my modules? I'm interested in ALL the structures you've done for both the pier and shed areas. I don't have the facility here either with the computer or the 3D equipment to do my own - not to mention accurate enough plans - but I do have modelling friends who can print from computer files for me - or I could go to a commercial source. Can you tell me the type of files or what program you used to create them?

I'd much appreciate whatever assistance you could offer in getting this project moving along. Of course, I would cover any costs involved in either obtaining the print files or the printed products involved.

And I'll certainly watch your continuing work on this build with the greatest interest!

Railtunes / Paul Ingraham

Kyle Port and Shed Modules .jpg

Kyle Port Crane And Ship.jpg

Kyle Port Ships And Crane.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of photos, both from the Am Baile website, to support the use of the 2-6-4T tank engines on the line during the reconstruction of the turntable at Kyle in 1946.

First, engine 2695 on shed at Kyle. I've included the Am Baile caption with details. It's facing the pier, so the engines must have been run boiler leading on down trains to Kyle, and bunker first on up trains back to Inverness.

Also, note the points under the rear bogie on the engine. These would be for the short coal truck spur and show that it was in place at least by mid-1946, as there was no prior track in that orientation. It doesn't look fresh enough to have been added at the same time the turntable was rebuilt, so must have been there somewhat earlier. A possible guess might be during the WW2 years to facilitate faster servicing of locos on heavy wartime traffic - but I can't substantiate that with certainty. A check of any extant photos from previous periods might help narrow the time gap.

Second, a photo of two trains crossing at Achnasheen station, taken from the pedestrian bridge. Given the operating direction stated above, the near train must be a down service toward Kyle; the left train, an up headed back to Inverness.

LMS 2695 At Kyle Shed July 1946.png

Achnasheen Station 1946.jpg

• Like 5

On 30/01/2021 at 00:14, Railtunes said:

Yet another Kyle fan, here in California, USA - and in N gauge as well.

Hi Paul. I've just replied to your PM re. the buildings. Yes, I recognise the track plan. Interchangeable scenery is a novel idea!

On 12/02/2021 at 01:31, Railtunes said:

A couple of photos, both from the Am Baile website, to support the use of the 2-6-4T tank engines on the line during the reconstruction of the turntable at Kyle in 1946.

Yes, I'd come across those before. Farish do a model of a Fairburn 2-6-4T which I think is the prototype shown here, so adding one of those to the fleet is a possibility.

On 12/02/2021 at 01:31, Railtunes said:

These would be for the short coal truck spur and show that it was in place at least by mid-1946, as there was no prior track in that orientation.

There's a bit of discussion about that somewhere on the thread. I haven't decided whether to modify my layout to add it yet.

Your replies have reminded me that I should post an update on here soon - I haven't done for ages but the layout is progressing.

I did put the coal truck track on my shed module, so I'm good for the final two years of LMS and BR in the early 1960s up to the demolition of the shed facilities.

I got the Graham Farish model in LMS livery. The number on my model is 2691, so it seems that it is indeed in the same series as 2695 in the photo!

Railtunes / Paul Ingraham