Trees OO gauge

• RMweb Gold

Any recommendations for "low relief" trees which can be stuck to backscenes without "intruding" too much - I appreciate I could buy proper trees and cut off 1/2 the foliage but I don't want to do that - whilst on the subject - what "makes" of tree do people like (price is a factor!)

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, crompton 33 said:

I got mine from china made from wire . Not the plastic ones  On ebay cheap as chips

Thanks - but did you say China!

I'll have a look...………….

• RMweb Gold

Cutting a tree in half gives you two low relief trees, which might make it financially acceptable, but my advice is to make your own; twisted multistrand wire teased out into branches at the top and and the suggestion of roots at the bottom, wrapped in paper and painted or possibly covered in Milliput to represent the bark, and bits of foliage glued to where the leaves are.  Cheap, easy, and no two will ever be the same.  

If it's for a backscene then why not just glue foliage to the backscene and have something in front to hide the fact that there are no trunks?  If you can get away with that in places it's even cheaper and easier!  Or be like me and model a coal mining area; all the trees in my valley were cut down for pit props years ago...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

For my low relief trees I used a twig for the trunk and glue it to the back scene, then sprayed carpet glue around the top of it, and stuck different woodland scenics products (large clumps, bushes and undergrowth) to the glue. Simple and not too expensive.  

You can make them out in the attached pics to the side of the engine shed. 

20160424_183120 Resized.jpg

20160403_140754.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, ianLMS said:

For my low relief trees I used a twig for the trunk and glue it to the back scene, then sprayed carpet glue around the top of it, and stuck different woodland scenics products (large clumps, bushes and undergrowth) to the glue. Simple and not too expensive.  

You can make them out in the attached pics to the side of the engine shed. 

20160424_183120 Resized.jpg

20160403_140754.jpg

WOW IF I could get my scenery anywhere near as good as that I would be a VERY happy man - looks great - love that tunnel mouth I have a similar scene to create but with less depth between track and backscene - how long have you been modelling??

If you could point me towards more photos that would be good or post a couple (or PM) more of the tunnel entrance that would be much appreciated...………….

Slightly deflated but I'm also up for a challenge and do like something to aim for.

I've got some spare backscenes so I might set up a trial project 

In general terms do you favour woodland scenic products ??

If you have the time a short list of the best range of "bits" to buy first would also help and I'll place a "bulk" order.

Hope I'm not asking too much...…..I promise I wont stalk you

You might like to review my links to see where I'm at...…………..

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Good morning and thank you for the kind comments! I have been modelling on and off since I was 10 (so thats 39 yrs now). However, this layout I started in 2013. When you look on RMWeb and see the quality of the some of the layouts, it is a bit daunting. The first thing is not to set your sights too high so you don't get disappointed if it doesn't turn out as well and keep trying. If you aren't happy with it, re-do it. Failing that, I just accept its wrong and move on!!  Some of the folks on here are so highly skilled at what they do, most of us average modellers will never be as good. If you arent sure, ask - there are so many friendly people on here willing to give advice and point you in the right direction.

Look at the layouts Heaton Lodge, Liverpool Lime Street, Gresley Beat etc and the loco builds from Tony Wright and painting from Ian Rathbone. If I come up to their ankles in skill level, I would be happy. The main thing is to have a go. I never thought I would be building loco's, but I am now on about my 7th or 8th and really enjoying it. Again, i'm not very good, but I do like the challenge!

The tunnel entrance is from Skytrex..... https://skytrexmodelrailways.com/stone-arches-retaining-walls/50-4-017-wide-stone-arch-separate-parapet-unpainted.html. Its two cut down and joined together again as I needed it to span three tracks. They also do the retaining walls and are very well made with good detail. Easy to cut, secure and paint.

My back scene is left over plasterboard secured to the wall with no more nails (probably a decision I will regret if we ever move), painted a very light grey, with darker grey for some rain clouds. I am absolutely no use at painting and I attempted to paint some hills and trees etc, but they aren't very good. 

I am a fan of Woodland Scenics for flock, foilage, undergrowth, bushes etc, but for static grass I go for War World Scenics (4 and 6mm Spring, Summer & Autumn all mixed up in different amounts to vary the shades), with Grey 4mm scale Ballast from Green Scenes.

My choice of Woodland Scenics is;

1. Green Blended Turf - I use this as the base layer over all my grassed areas. I then use WWS static grass on top https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/BlendedTurf

2. Fine, Medium and Coarse Turf - Medium, Dark and Light Green with some burnt as well. I use this to scatter over the static grass and I use it for my trees (seafoam covered with spray adhesive then sprinkle the turf over it. https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/CoarseTurf

3. Underbrush, Bushes, Clump Foilage etc again, mix of colours, mostly medium, light, dark greens. I use it to bulk up areas of over-grown weeds, for the low relief trees etc. https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/GroundCover

The lighting on my layout is very, very poor and my photography skills are just as bad, so forgive me. 

I am by no means a good modeller, so please ask others on here as well for advice and decide fro yourself which method works best for you.IMG-20160126-00793.jpg.bd83e5d96fbe94dbb578cfad147f7d6e.jpg

20171220_071516_resized.jpg.581ab6eac43414de86c78d18989e37aa.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I bought some packs - essentially prepared sets of millinery wire, which I can no longer get locally - from these people

https://www.modelscenerysupplies.co.uk/model-trees

and made up a number of trees, which can be seen on my thread. As I am modelling springtime I need trees with no leaves - apart from the beeches of course.

No connection with the firm, but very good service.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

And Hawthorn blossom, Cornelius.

Hawthorn blossom follows the leaves. Blackthorn blossom precedes the leaves. I was corrected about this several years ago when I mentioned the wrong thing to a local botanist. One of the few things I remember about trees and shrubs.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I realised just the other day that I need some blackthorn blossom.

Re hawthorn, the standard Cambrian Railways spec for its lineside fencing included planting quickset (hawthorn). You can still see the result in later spring. I don't know other railways had similar specifications.

A problem with trees on layouts is that they are BIG. A full grown tree can be well over 100 ft which means over a foot in 4 mm and anything up to a metre in 7mm. Since my backscene is well under six inches high I really should on;ly have stunted scrub oak and saplings.

BTW I recommend Gordon Gravett's book on modelling decidious trees.

Jonathan

The Woodland Scenics trees are quite small, even by HO standards.  The tree kits generally comprise flat plastic injection molded armatures the branches of which can be bent to give the tree some fullness.  This is ideal for making low relief half-trees.  The folliage matting can easily be cut into one inch squares and stretched out then attached using PVA or your choice of clear glue (not super glue though).  When happy a spray of heavy duty hairspray will stop it shedding!

• Informative/Useful 2

I can recommend the Chinese trees. I bought a large box full for a small sum.

Trees are actually quite large and need to be scaled down a bit. Luckily the real thing comes in all sizes between sapling to full grown.

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

I can recommend the Chinese trees. I bought a large box full for a small sum.

Trees are actually quite large and need to be scaled down a bit. Luckily the real thing comes in all sizes between sapling to full grown.

Could you provide a link/info to that which you bought as it would validate the source/quality?

• RMweb Gold
On 31/03/2020 at 17:44, corneliuslundie said:

BTW I recommend Gordon Gravett's book on modelling decidious trees.

I second that, wholeheartedly.

On 02/04/2020 at 17:47, corneliuslundie said:

Blackthorn alert. New blossom seen in hedges in the last couple of days.

Lots of it around here, too. Must be the time of year. :P

IMG_0192.JPG.432a66ff7199c41d717872dd3628188b.JPG

• Like 1

I also second Gordon's book.

I'm a big fan of Sea foam.  I buy Large and medium packs for my 4mm scale trees and in bulk they are quite cheap as you can cut the tops off and save the offcuts for bushes, so nothing gets wasted.  For very large old trees that need to be very tall I glue the offcuts to wire/glue/filler trunks.  Then it's a case of scatter/leaf foliage with hairspray.

The other key point is that having lots of different methods ( I also like the Woodland Scenics clumping) gives you lots of variation in shape and texture, so I would say don't limit yourself to one method, try a few and try them together to see how they compliment.  Also get hold of LOTS of different colour green leaves/flock/scatter.  The natural world is very rarely homogenous!

06-009.jpg.8f857ec8cc0a15df6750969c3aa325b3.jpgDSC_0466.JPG.947aa4036f577abfa93f85fe47370bfa.JPG

Please excuse the concrete block in the second pic - it's not scenic!!

Cheers

Chris

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 months later...

Thankyou Johnster et al for mentioning seasonal blossoms :diablo_mini: Going to have to read Countryside Diary in the paper now. Last time I did trees I was ok with pulling apart domestic 3core wire as mentioned above. Limbs & roots ready made. Ok, every 2nd one was so **** it was discarded, but hey, never throw out a little piece of wire. Foliage was from dried out scraped moss which comes ready multi coloured. And don't forget the green mould on the north(?) side of the trunk.

On 04/04/2020 at 11:55, halsey said:

Could you provide a link/info to that which you bought as it would validate the source/quality?

Sorry I've just seen this!

I bought them years ago so any link would be long since invalid (try model trees on eBay). However they can be seen here (about the tenth and eleventh pictures down in front of the Tri-ang viaduct). Some of the other trees are Woodland Scenics . The Plastic palm trees are courtesy of McDonalds. The trunks aren't bad (need paint!) and I was going to try new fronds made from dyed feathers, but never got round to it (a couple of failures...).

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28222-dublo-layout/&tab=comments#comment-295555