Triang Hornby Catalogues

pippindoo

We have all the retail catalogues from the first edition 1955 I think, small white cover, to 2020, including several variations of some of them, such as the Beatties special printings, and both versions of the 2016 small catalogue...the year that no real catalogue was produced.

Some of the earlier catalogues have three main varieties.

No price on the cover.

Stamped price on the cover.

Printed price on the cover.

They are a good reference source for research...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I’ve got them from 1965 to date , but really I think of 65 to 81 as the golden years . I occasionally get them out and browse through them . I particularly like those with large layout illustrations , so 66, 73 ,74 and 80 are particular favourites .  To an extent you get much more information from Pat Hammonds trilogy on Tri-ang Hornby , but it’s still nostalgic staring at the catalogue pictures that I used to stare at for hours as a boy . A little bit of comforting familiarity , and who wouldn’t like that just now . 

• Like 10

I always used to look forward to January and the release of the new Tri-ang catalogue. Having Hornby Dublo, I couldn't use much of it, but did indulge in the Utility van and the Pullmans (Jane and Mary - I completed the set recently with Ruth and Anne).

• Like 2

There was something magical about them that the recent Hornby catalogues fail to capture with its almost photoshopped side on images -  I was hoping the current one would offer something more (it was described positively by them) but sadly again about as exciting as looking at Dulux Colour Chart.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

With the catalogue layout photos, I used to trace the lines, to see which train could run into another.

There was usually more than one train on a loop!

It did make the layout look busy.

There were also some great pictures on the earlier train set box lids...

Large layouts, apparently.

The more mundane truth was that they were only "stage sets" though, not a complete layout...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I also enjoyed the Triang Hornby Book of Trains, I bought mine from Clapham Transport Museum[1971, 50p!]. World was a better place then. Red 1938 stock on the UndergrounD.

Dava

• Like 5

Probably over 40 years ago I got, probably from a jumble sale, a triang catalogue missing its covers, which I later found out was the 5th (1959) edition. I carefully marked what items i wanted my parents to get me for Christmas and birthdays!

Didn't get much from there though.

Still got it somewhere, together with the 1977 edition, first one I bought new for 25p, with the marvelous hst on the cover, although I wanted the rural rambler set with blue 'Nellie' and coaches!

• Like 3

A very useful book, from 1962, The First Ten Years.

Full of useful servicing information, including how to replace MK3 couplings where they were held on by the two outside holes, with the mounting pins rivetted over.

Everyone running Tri-ang Railways should have a copy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

A decent copy commands a fair price these days. There was an article (by Mr. Cuneo IIRC) on weathering rolling stock.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/triang-railways-first-ten-years/

http://www.hornbyguide.com/publication_details.asp?publicationid=102

(No connection to the seller - it just came up on a search.)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

There was an article (by Mr. Cuneo IIRC) on weathering rolling stock.

Illustrated using Nellie.

There's lots of interesting stuff in such a small book, including a description of the Margate factory, when they used to make things there, and a selection of service sheets to help users maintain motors and power bogies.

My copy is a bit "well read" so it wouldn't make me a fortune! 

• Like 2

I remember having a copy of the catalogue with the M7 on the front, but it seems it went too.  :(

Nothing to do with this, but a few Rivarossi  and Lima  catalogues do survive. I had a Rivarossi spares catalogue, but that went.  For some strange reason, I thought it would never be any use following the demise of Rivarossi.  :scratchhead: Hornby doesn't count. It's the wrong scale for a start.

Loads of Rivarossi spares are listed on Italian eBay. I acquired a complete body for a Gr. 835 0-6-0T. I had bought an early chassis with valve gear for the one I had*), but now I have two.   :)

* This has simplified motion less slide bars and valve gear (why do manufacturers do this sort of thing?).

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 5050 said:

I have a Pocher catalogue that I bought from a model shop on the Rialto Bridge in Venice in 1961.  Exotic or what!

Very! I'd bet the shop isn't there any more (or more exactly sells something else. My daughter was in Venice last year. Had I known, I'd have asked her to look.

Many of the Pocher items ended up in the Rivarossi catalogue, ignoring that they 1:87 scale (sort of) and Rivarossi 1:80.

http://www.rivarossi-memory.it/POCHER/Index_POCHER.htm

It's pronounced 'poker' by the way. (Hence the trade mark.)

Edited by Il Grifone

I've got Triang No 1 all the way through the the 2005 50th edition (the slipcase hardback version). I kept buying them up to about 2015 but the recent ones are huge, heavy and with such a large turnover of products that I decided to draw a line under them, so I sold all the post 2005 ones. I've also got the Triang - the first ten years book, and the 1966 and 1979 Book of Trains too, all fascinating pubications.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 30/03/2020 at 07:53, Legend said:

I’ve got them from 1965 to date , but really I think of 65 to 81 as the golden years . I occasionally get them out and browse through them . I particularly like those with large layout illustrations , so 66, 73 ,74 and 80 are particular favourites .  To an extent you get much more information from Pat Hammonds trilogy on Tri-ang Hornby , but it’s still nostalgic staring at the catalogue pictures that I used to stare at for hours as a boy . A little bit of comforting familiarity , and who wouldn’t like that just now . 

Those layout/diorama scenes certainly captured our imaginations. Many of them  were photographed using very large commercial 8”x 10” colour transparency film which produced incredible quality and definition. Equally  fascinating was they revealed not only the full scenes but also the studio as well .  The  Rovex archival file shown below contains those  studio master colour transparencies featuring  all the various large layout/diorama scenes from 1967-1974 , including several which have remained unpublished .    

21014983-A520-4EF5-B5F2-71B8D5BCF1B2.jpeg

13EF927A-2A3C-438D-BA5A-7364C1CE0511.jpeg

Edited by Pylon King
  • Like 9

On 30/03/2020 at 22:22, Sarahagain said:

With the catalogue layout photos, I used to trace the lines, to see which train could run into another.

There was usually more than one train on a loop!

It did make the layout look busy.

There were also some great pictures on the earlier train set box lids...

Large layouts, apparently.

The more mundane truth was that they were only "stage sets" though, not a complete layout...

This  Rovex archival file contains the studio colour masters featuring those layouts in all their glory as well as the photographic studios  . Here is one of many examples illustrating how effective picture cropping can be.  This particular layout photo was   taken in autumn 1970 for the Track Plans publication and ‘71 British, Canadian , Australian catalogues as well as various box tops . 08632D40-94EE-486C-ACE5-B0A997FA424D.jpeg.c7d8eae22541a457d8ba36b33cf64699.jpeg31DC2A53-885E-4DA8-B5F6-838B1160C6F0.jpeg.906eba308012b425c29d74918045cb10.jpeg8B3F4238-C2CF-4E00-A314-DC26FE509F5B.jpeg.cad35c72d0d371b571f12745f5580839.jpeg 

Edited by Pylon King
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

I like the studio set shots and wondered if the same baseboards were used for all the different scenarios.  I cannot imagine them pinning all the track down and gluing scenery down etc just for one photo.  The one I always liked was the large centre piece one in the amalgamation brochure that included the small ex Hornby Dublo range that Tri-ang were marketing at the time. 

Is there any TT slides in the collection Pylon King? 

Garry

• Like 3