SI* Modelling

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Well a day of doing a whole load of bits but ending up with not a lot of visual difference! I realised with the Slater's axle on a taper fitting, I would need to make the driver removeable, in hornblocks. The front and trailing have allen key assembly and that is easy to get them out of the chassis, but the driver, not. I started making up a set of the lovely hornblocks from Steph Dale, the 47961 set. Lovely, all fine until I realised I needed too much height to fit them and there wasn't any metal left in the chassis to do that which was when I also realised I had drawn the chassis1mm down from its top but just in the area between the front and driving wheels! I don't know how or why but will correct this if I get this to production. I had drawn compensation beams either side of the motor, driven and trailing wheel. That wasn't working either. I had also made provision for springing using guitar spring steel in a bearing holder - Bill Bedford system in 4mm - and that would work for the driver so that is what I now have. I also started to trial fit the inside motion parts and have had to shorten them as they were getting in the way of the gearwheel. But all sorted now, and needs final fixing tomorrow. The photo is showing what I am trying to get and also the lower firebox and ashpan is there now. Anyway, more tomorrow. Oh yes, there are also dummy springs behind the driving wheel now but I'm not sure these are even visible here! Piping from clack to pump and from pump to tender tomorrow. Cheers Ian

153t.jpg

Edited by ianmaccormac
reload image
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

During the Covid-19 situation i am able to go into work a few days a week and work from home the others. Modelling time increased significantly and have managed to complete my Jameison Jubilee, start on a Proscale Webb Coal tank and complete a 25 pdr field gun and Quad set for my new Bachmann Parrots! Ignire the 3-planks as im waiting for some nice Peco kits to arrive!

20200430_175954.jpg

20200430_175726.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I've settled for my local railway bridge - Anthony Road, Largs, Ayrshire on the former G&SWR.  Not the most beutiful of edifices, but I see it several times a day.  A good opportunity to use the skills outined in Bob Alderman's fantastic book on Building Rmodel Railway Bridges, curiously enough.  Getting the flattened arch is extremely helpful, and the figures for minimum/best bractice clearances helps a lot.

Photos will follow.

GlenP

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Booking Hall said:

Global warming . . . ??

No point putting a trawler in the harbour then, a Penguin that big will have wiped out all the fish :O

cheers,

Phil.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

Like the dockside, but the Penguin is a bit out of scale.......

cheers,

Phil.

Never mind the penguin, I'm wondering how the crane will lift items out of the vans. Other than that, I'm impressed with your modelling. Please keep sharing, it all helps.

• Thanks 1

I got distracted from my N gauge layout by some OO gauge rolling stock projects.

Neither of these fit in era with Bank Quay, but I am making a DRS DBSO and Network Rail Ultrasonic Test Unit 4 vehicle 999606.

DBSO is from a Hornby Mk2F BSO, UTU is from a Hatchette £3.99 Mk1.

Both are still very much works in progress.

DSC06833.JPG.402e7bc929822a1ea75d2f34d735b709.JPG

DSC06841.JPG.3067dff6854efd2fa5163471675bcc6d.JPG

DSC06845.JPG.d4391ac95a32b52a9595e2e03a238f53.JPGDSC06846.JPG.2c1ddf1dc1a785dcf531c9185d641dbf.JPG

Stay Safe,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Just having a little play because I can now that I have some servos set up for point changing, and I have glued and wired a programming track, so I have put decoders in the Dapol Class 29 and a Dapol Western, and just mucked about and played with a little Nikon Coolpix. I promise I'll get back to setting more servos up and then........................ track design time, so Templot to learn.

Anyway, left to right, Hattons 66, Dapol 29, Heljan Western, Dapol Western, Dapol Western (will be 1002), Heljan Kestrel. 

DSCN3054.JPG

Edited by 96701
Missed 1010 out of the list.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, 96701 said:

Just having a little play because I can now that I have some servos set up for point changing, and I have glued and wired a programming track, so I have put decoders in the Dapol Class 29 and a Dapol Western, and just mucked about and played with a little Nikon Coolpix. I promise I'll get back to setting more servos up and then........................ track design time, so Templot to learn.

Anyway, left to right, Hattons 66, Dapol 29, Heljan Western, Dapol Western, Dapol Western (will be 1002), Heljan Kestrel. 

DSCN3054.JPG

Nice little line up there, very nice......can I just ask without causing a huge debate (please everyone :D) which between the Heljan and the Dapol Westerns do you feel runs sweeter at very low speeds?  It’s just I tend to put more importance in very slow running than absolute detail and faithfulness to the prototype regarding number of grill slats or mouldy sandwiches on the second mans desk.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Playing with homemade transfers, need to apply microsol to the rear one! ;)

2A401D8C-BE62-4061-ABD9-87567DDB9044.jpeg.5fe820d2e1f73369f511e486648c8402.jpeg

:lol: doh!  At first glance I immediately thought he’s mixed his pictures up and put a picture of an empty beer box he bought.....should be in “what you drinking tonight” thread.........

That looks really impressive, great result :good_mini:

• RMweb Premium

Still designing and printing away. At some point I might need to thing about some kind of baseboard and start putting the whole together. It will be some time however before I finish adding the rail chairs (all 900 of them) to the baulk rails, that is a horror of a job. 

IMG_1782.jpeg.04d38536ba4676d42df320d0ebb70e76.jpegIMG_1774.jpeg.f17b86c3678e459d172e528dc3d16c4f.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, 96701 said:

DSCN3054.JPG

And here is the result from my Pentax digital SLR.

IMGP7006.JPG

• RMweb Gold
On 29/04/2020 at 16:27, sharris said:

Would Dyson produce a model of Brunel's vacuum powered Atmospheric Railway?

On a serious note, has anyone ever tried modelling the Atmospheric Railway?

Been modifying (with a bit of scratch building) a Ratio crane which depicts the nuclear flask loading/unloading crane at Trawsfynydd in the 1980's.Still work in progress... 

crane-4-5-20.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rodent279 said:

On a serious note, has anyone ever tried modelling the Atmospheric Railway?

I believe that at one time there was a model of it at Starcross or Dawlish. It can be seen in the Video 125 HST West film. 

• RMweb Premium

The details may be a little sketchy, I was very young at the time, but I remember going into a museum about the atmospheric railway, which I think was in the old Starcross vac pumping station. (if that's the correct term for it.)

There was a demo piece of railway, which used a normal household hoover, to move about half a dozen kids sat in the 'coach' !!

Only other thing I remember about it was the guide saying the main problem with the system was rats eating the leather that was used to form the seal in the vacuum tube.

Then me & my parents spent some time at the foot crossing on the mainline outside, putting pennies on the track & trying to find them after a train had run over them. :blink:

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Phil Mc said:

Only other thing I remember about it was the guide saying the main problem with the system was rats eating the leather that was used to form the seal in the vacuum tube.

I remember something like that also, as I recall the rats attacked the leather because it was coated with animal fat to form the seal.......not something you think about on the drawing board I guess :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have devoted much of my last three weeks to building the Faller chemical plant. This is (by my standards) a huge kit and I'm now maybe three-quarters through the build. It's starting to take shape and there are only a handful of loose parts in this photo I took this morning:

DSCF0567.jpg.ea41cc6ed3667ecd524c57f073efec3b.jpg

The model includes provision for lighting - there is a vertical duct to hold wiring behind the left-most corner of the steel frame. Please, could anyone suggest some fairly slender lighting units I could install under the decks? I think they want to be a fairly warm white to resemble sodium lighting. I struggle a bit with surface-mount components but maybe someone does these with trailing wires already attached?

Many thanks.

(There are other pictures of the model on my layout thread, beginning here).

- Richard.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

For my N Gauge station lighting I used strips of SMD LEDs on flexible tape, very small and can be cut to length.

Unfortunately the trader I bought from went out of business years ago, sorry.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Thanks 1