Why are push starts needed?

hucknall byron

Anybody have the technical reason why a loco sometimes needs a gentle push to start it? Is it something to do with the motor just not getting the electrical jolt it needs to start working or something else? As this must be one of the most common annoyances I just thought it was worth asking the question. Not strictly DCC related I know but relevant just the same.

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, hucknall byron said:

Anybody have the technical reason why a loco sometimes needs a gentle push to start it? Is it something to do with the motor just not getting the electrical jolt it needs to start working or something else? As this must be one of the most common annoyances I just thought it was worth asking the question. Not strictly DCC related I know but relevant just the same.

ive lost more hours than I care to mention trying to figure this out I've got a Bachmann peak that's notorious for it!!!

If its bad pickup, then its bad pickup - clean the wheels and pickups, and the track. 

If the pickups are OK, then its a mixture of crap motor and poor gearing in the mechanism.   Fixes depend on the model in question, and how much effort willing to put into solving it.

Decent models don't do either. 

Nigel

• Agree 3

Stiction. Yes that sounds very logical. I have spent a few hours this weekend cleaning the wheel sets and contacts on a Hornby 101 dmu that previously ran like a bag of nails and now its as smooth as silk right down to almost a crawl, but it refuses to start from stationary without a gentle push. It is dcc fitted so any suggestions for the CV setting to help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

6 hours ago, hucknall byron said:

...  it refuses to start from stationary without a gentle push. It is dcc fitted so any suggestions for the CV setting to help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming you have solidly reliable pick up, Increase CV2 until it starts every time would be the short answer.

But it is not necessarily solely the mechanism that has a part in this, the decoder's performance is also potentially part of the problem. Some decoders are very weak at current supply at low output. I have literally never had this 'failure to start' problem using Lenz and Zimo decoders on a variety of mashima powered kit mechanisms and assorted RTR, but have seen plenty of others that are frankly 'flabby' when asked to start a mechanism by a smooth slow creep into dead slow movement.

• Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, hucknall byron said:

but it refuses to start from stationary without a gentle push.

A dead winding or dry joint on the commutator motor could cause something like that - or just a very dirty commutator or contaminated brushes.

• Informative/Useful 2

IIRC there is a CV that will give higher starting voltage to overcome 'stiction' then once the motor is moving it falls back to the settings defined starting with CV2?

I cant remember what CV it is, anyone else remember it?

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

IIRC there is a CV that will give higher starting voltage to overcome 'stiction' then once the motor is moving it falls back to the settings defined starting with CV2?

I cant remember what CV it is, anyone else remember it?

CV 65

https://dccwiki.com/Kick_Start

Andi

There are no standards for "kick start" etc..   Its all down to individual decoder maker (and its not needed by the really good ones anyway!).   Some decoders are not as good as others (I'd call them poor or rubbish) - they work sort of OK, but then not as well as alternatives for about the same sums of money. 

Certain names come up again and again as excellent decoder makers, there is a reason for that.

Nigel

• Agree 1