Hi All,

I'm planning to scratchbuild a Dean Goods in H0 for my local model railway club here in Austria. Being no expert in GWR matters, I'm wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to set me straight on a couple of things. 

The subject in hand is 2435, as far as I know the only British locomotive to have come into Austria. After transport to Dunkirk, it was captured by the Germans, with a general overhaul at Cottbus. It came to Austria, hidden away in sidings for the duration of the war before being discovered by the Soviets and used in Soviet-occupied Austria. 

2435 is from lot 92, built in 1893, with a narrow footplate and plain coupling rods. By this time it's had a B4 boiler fitted, but has it got a low or high roof cab? I'm also presuming a steel cab roof and not the earlier canvas-on-wood. 

The smokebox door looks to be the newer, pressed type, without ring and the chimney appears to be of the parallel type. I'm guessing that the balance weights are the smaller plain design that I've read about? 

Is the tender a 2500 or 3000 gallon Dean tender? 

Does anyone have any information, drawings or dimensions of the WD modifications (Are the tanks on the side a pressure reservoir for the Westinghouse pump? And why is the lower piston cylinder casing twice as long as the upper?)

Can any modifications from its general overhaul by the Germans be seen? 

Can anyone guess/give more information on the text on the locomotive. 

Many thanks for all your help! 

Xander

No.2435 (WD no.188) was used in Silesia and then Austria until 1948 when it was claimed by the Russians before being handed back to the Austrians in 1952

Scanned Image.jpeg

• Like 2

I hope to be able to answer some of your questions but need to check some references.

One item I can answer immediately is that the Westinghouse pump was of a type used in France.

This makes sense on the basis of spares, repairs and so on.

50 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

The cabfront is original GWR and is a low, large-radius one. The cabsides and roof are not GWR. The chimney is tapered, not parallel. The balance weights look standard to me. The tender is a 3000g.

Fantastic thank you! I couldn't find any photos of the tapered type to compare it to so guessed it must be parallel. How do you tell the 2500g and 3000g tenders apart?

36 minutes ago, Tony Cane said:

Interesting; so presumably the original was replaced during its german overhaul, along with the roof and cab sides. 

1 hour ago, xveitch said:

How do you tell the 2500g and 3000g tenders apart?

Heavy springs (which that one has) = 3000g is a good general rule.

(The converse does not hold true however, depending on period.)

Edited by Miss Prism

• 2 weeks later...