Obermatt Swiss N gauge layout

Frutigen

• RMweb Premium

Thank you all for the kind reactions and comments. If I'm to produce a video I suppose I'll need to scout some locations then...

IMG_7951_1614359818674.JPG.965771f07ecc211eaea00e7d12f5a2ca.JPG

IMG_7957_1614359948694.JPG.007a6d5d7da70167b700d321c72a8d7d.JPG

IMG_7988_1614360441994.JPG.91b601c9c16428a351ffca5a36231ffb.JPG

IMG_7998_1614360686143.JPG.3ac63f1c6b7d22c452bc06a1e233d4e3.JPG

IMG_8001_1614360741133.JPG.043b8c6aa3b6b564fc0ae83cd44e8e76.JPG

IMG_8009_1614360913259.JPG.edf84b87edc9144a3455211188e7d314.JPG

Edited by Frutigen
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Will be good to see. That 2x BLS Re4/4 combination for freight is on my slow purchase stock 'wish list' so looking forward to a video of them Frutigen.

Requests are always welcome and I think I can arrange that. I’m also booking an Re10/10 on a gravel train and a Re474+Re482 Cargo livery double header, among other things. 

Sadly the Fleischmann Ae6/6 has failed. 

• Like 1

On 25/02/2021 at 12:47, Frutigen said:

I finally got round to building the Kibri Chalet Lenk houses for the scene at the top end of the little meadow, which used to look like this...

461484722_IMG_7118_1607773001194copy.JPG.db4907c3fa189237f7fc54e7e6386661.JPG

I'm struggling to like the older design Swiss N gauge chalets nowadays - the new kits are so much finer. However putting the two types together does give a sense of the juxtaposition of ancient and modern that you see so ofte in Swiss urban areas

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2020 at 22:39, Frutigen said:

New arrival on Track 4 (that’s the one on the right). 

I’ve had 3 really nice Arnold BLS EW I coaches for years now and always thought they needed a driving trailer. I spotted the Hobbytrain autoverlad driving coach last week and decided to go for it - not quite the right vehicle for the job but close enough for me and it does look good. 

Hobbytrain have quickly announced a correct 'normal' driving trailer for this year.

I succumbed and bought the Autoverlad version because I have an Autoverlad on my layout. Trouble is I'll want the normal version as well now - so that will be £200 plus for two coaches...aargh!

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

I'm struggling to like the older design Swiss N gauge chalets nowadays - the new kits are so much finer. However putting the two types together does give a sense of the juxtaposition of ancient and modern that you see so ofte in Swiss urban areas

I readily confess, I took the easy way out. The old chalet was one of those I bought off eBay to try out where to put my buildings, and I just used what I had to hand. It doesn’t look too tatty the way I normally see it, but the camera in close up has other ideas, of course. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

Hobbytrain have quickly announced a correct 'normal' driving trailer for this year.

I succumbed and bought the Autoverlad version because I have an Autoverlad on my layout. Trouble is I'll want the normal version as well now - so that will be £200 plus for two coaches...aargh!

I hadn’t  seen that bit of news. I wonder if they’ll do me a swap...

• RMweb Premium

You may have noticed one of the green containers behaving irresponsibly in the last video. Please rest assured it has been spoken to and is now spending some time on the naughty step. 

257450224_IMG_8230_1615023097965crop.jpg.af10ae6a046c87843cc6e83fcb46c253.jpg

Edited by Frutigen
Restoring lost photos
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Frutigen said:

I hadn’t  seen that bit of news. I wonder if they’ll do me a swap...

I would be happy to swap with you had I bought the latest livery version, but I bought the blue version, even though a lot of my layout is 'present day' because  I really hate the latest BLS liveries. I find the grey paint drab, not that I didn't phot one arriving at Brig in 2019...

CH Apr 2019 - 1.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Here’s the sequel, 7 minutes just watching the trains go by. I was unsure whether to let the long trains run right by or to cut away early, so I did a bit of both. Any views? Preferences?

• Like 6

Always let them run by fully, the make up and length of the train is just as interesting as what's pulling it IMO.  Great video, was interested to see how well the different types of gravel hopper look together, was that a mixture of Lima and Minitrix? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys, that's good to know. 

Yes, the hoppers are 4 Minitrix and 8 Lima. I no longer see the Minitrix type in current photos and videos (plus they've changed the livery) but I seem to recall seeing them running both types together in the past.

The Lima ones came with massive flanges that jump on the Unitrack point frogs so I'm part way through replacing the wheels. I've got some fitted with Grafar wheelsets but the axles are too long and they don't run freely, so I might need to get some from a continental make. I've found the same problem in the past upgrading older Lima coach bogies so I'm not sure what's going on with the axle lengths - different standards for 1:148 and 1:160 maybe?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Frutigen said:

Here’s the sequel, 7 minutes just watching the trains go by. I was unsure whether to let the long trains run right by or to cut away early, so I did a bit of both. Any views? Preferences?

That's a fab video Keith. I love the way the trains negotiate their way around the sweeping curves at the rear of the layout. I think you're right showing the full length of the freights, especially given the variety of wagons in the consist.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrTea said:

I love the way the trains negotiate their way around the sweeping curves at the rear of the layout.

Thanks, that does seem to be a popular feature and it’s something I put a lot of thought into with the design. I made some compromises elsewhere to do it and I’m pleased I did. Wherever possible, the compromises are hidden behind scenic features. 

Have you noticed that this layout is back to front?  Most of the scenic interest is at the back while the front (easily reached) is basically the storage roads in fancy dress. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, Frutigen said:

Thanks, that does seem to be a popular feature and it’s something I put a lot of thought into with the design. I made some compromises elsewhere to do it and I’m pleased I did. Wherever possible, the compromises are hidden behind scenic features. 

Have you noticed that this layout is back to front?  Most of the scenic interest is at the back while the front (easily reached) is basically the storage roads in fancy dress. 

Sometimes creating a layout against the normal orientation works. In this case it means the 'interesting' track at the back is completely surrounded by scenery with not a board edge to be seen, which i think helps make watching trains snake along those back lines the visual treat that it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/03/2021 at 09:57, Satan's Goldfish said:

Sometimes creating a layout against the normal orientation works. In this case it means the 'interesting' track at the back is completely surrounded by scenery with not a board edge to be seen, which i think helps make watching trains snake along those back lines the visual treat that it is.

Thank you SG. I hadn't thought of it in those terms before but I think you have a good point. To some extent I've designed the whole layout to be viewed from the end, looking along the tracks, and there are some cameo scenes that can only be seen from there, too. I think the thing that has most surprised and pleased me in making the last 2 videos has been the views that can only be seen from a camera hidden down in the weeds where my eye can't go. Also, how big it looks from that perspective when it’s only a little layout. 

IMG_8248_1615024098383.JPG.96b38ec4873f4a2f20dbf96a500ca220.JPG

Edited by Frutigen
Restoring lost photos
  • Like 4