Magazine publication during Lockdown

DutyDruid

We had our letter from Boris delivered today.

As a general comment about magazines, I work next to the news and mags section in our store, and last week my colleague showed me that she was bundling up the largest number (by far) of unsold magazines for return to distribution. 

Hopefully sales will pick up more as we all settle into the new routine. All shoppers are now routed past the news and mags stand on the way in.

cheers

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

All shoppers are now routed past the news and mags stand on the way in.

Would you mind mentioning to the customers that the stocks of BRM are getting a bit low but they are not allowed to buy more than two copies please? That should help. ;)

If they ask about the toilet paper just say that the two products are not interchangeable. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 06/04/2020 at 07:52, Legend said:

Well I went down to Morrison’s  and found BRM on the shelves . Don’t recall seeing it there before , but I maybe wrong, so I’m wondering if magazines are turning up in places they might not normally .  Worth keeping an eye out when you’re doing the weekly shop just in case. 

My local Morrison's (Coalville, N.W. Leics) has stocked BRM for a while- in fact it's been my usual source locally for a few years - funnily enough it;s local newsagents where I struggle to get a copy

I wonder if the current situation is an opportunity to develop new ideas with respect to magazine(and book) selling.

At the moment there is a clear line betwen traditionally printed ad distributed mazines(and books), and to a certain extent thse who like one or the other.

Some grumble that people stand at magazine displays and seem to be reading every magzine, but not buying them. Obviously some might even believe this could be a health risk as well.

Going digital might seem a good idea but digital is easier to copy so systems are in place to make that more difficult(wide range of e-readers). Not everyone wants digital , and prefers a printed copy, but if they can't see what is in it they maybe disappointed(so less likely to buy again) or not even buy in the first place.

I wonder if it might be possible to have an ability to browse throught a digitalmagazine without having to buy it. Before anyone starts shouting , I would add that the browse copy show be low quality, but good eough to see roughly what is in the magazine. Another advantage is that this would also be a far smaller file to download.

I also think this cpuld be used for book selling. In my reseach for scale drawings I am sometimes disappointed by some books, and if I had had a chance to browse though a low res digital copy then I might have not bought a copy, or might in fac have bought a copy as I was better informed.

Now there are probably legal and copyright issues, but the ay things are going more magazines and books are going to available digital and at some point it might not be possible to buy a print copy.

Another issue my be customer rights  and wheter customers could return magazines if they felt it was not what they wanted. Better upfront info such a low res digital browse facility would reduce this.

Back to main theme. Most of my local newsagents are shut, including WH Smiths. Supermarkets locally do have some titles but not all of them. Now that might not concern some readers, but it might concern some advertisrs who pay to get noticed. Without the advertisers most magazines would not exist. It might be me, but  tend to look at more adverts in printed magazines than those in digital ones. The way people read printed magazines is different to the way they read digital ones.

I don't know how this might pan out across all news and mags, but my colleague told me that returns from our store of our local weekly newspaper amounted several hundred copies, over half of the weekly distribution,

cheers

• Informative/Useful 1