The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Flight Radar changes

Lissadell

Got up this morning to find that the existing app, as previously advised by the developer, has ceased to work from 30.03.20

Like many I guess, until now I have been using the free version - this option has now gone.

Instead a 7 day free trial leads into one of three bands of subscription: Basic, Silver and Gold.

My question is .................... has anyone identified on the Flight Radar website what the costs will be for UK users?

I’ve tried to locate the info but either the developer is being somewhat coy in this matter or my brain isn’t in gear yet (it’s 06.30 hrs)!!

Adrian

Ok so I end up looking out of my home office window to spot an Air Lingus flight coming in to Manchester according to Flight Radar, carefully not trying to plane spot.

According to Flight Radar it was on finals, then suddenly it has over shot and is over Wythenshawe and now it is safely in the airport on the ground and has been marked for it's return flight.

Never even saw it in the sky despite the fact I can watch planes take off and land from my lofty office position.

Edit: No mention of fees or limited access on my PC

Edited by woodenhead

Flightradar24 is also available to be viewed in your browser, rather than through the app.

I've just checked and the free web version is running normally....on an iPad.

The app is also running normally, on both my phone (free, un-logged in) and my iPad (paid for logged in - Silver).

Have you accidentally pressed the green icon that offers the 7 day free trial for the subscription versions?

• RMweb Gold

Everything ok on my tablet, logged in as a basic user. Clicked on "remove ads" gave me the subscription options. That's the web version.

Using the app on  the tablet, again al ok, logged in as basic. Clicking on myh profile again gave the upgrade options.

Edited by ikcdab

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Lissadell said:

Got up this morning to find that the existing app, as previously advised by the developer, has ceased to work from 30.03.20

Like many I guess, until now I have been using the free version - this option has now gone.

Instead a 7 day free trial leads into one of three bands of subscription: Basic, Silver and Gold.

My question is .................... has anyone identified on the Flight Radar website what the costs will be for UK users?

I’ve tried to locate the info but either the developer is being somewhat coy in this matter or my brain isn’t in gear yet (it’s 06.30 hrs)!!

Adrian

On downloading the new version on IOS, I was met with a screen saying "as a long term subscriber blah blah blah, we'd like to offer you 3 months special deal" or words to that effect. I just clicked on the x at the top right of that screen and it allowed me to use the free version.

I already use 360Radar on my desktop as it shows military and my company's Coastguard SAR assets.

Best

Scott.

IIRC the annual charge for the basic version of FR24 on a PC was / is $10.

Was on their Android app about 10 mins ago and no mention of having to pay but there again I've got the automatic update setting turned off so I'm still on the version I originally downloaded.

• RMweb Premium

A couple of other radar tracking sites you may or may not know about.

https://tar1090.adsbexchange.com/  you can select military only by clicking on the "U"

https://planefinder.net/  mostly civil, but a few military now and again.

These are desktop/laptop sites, but I think there's apps for mobiles. I don't have a smart phone.

Rob

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

A couple of other radar tracking sites you may or may not know about.

https://tar1090.adsbexchange.com/  you can select military only by clicking on the "U"

https://planefinder.net/  mostly civil, but a few military now and again.

These are desktop/laptop sites, but I think there's apps for mobiles. I don't have a smart phone.

Rob

Having both ADSB and 360Radar side by side on my screens just now, and 360Radar shows more airframes.  That said, 360Radar is not free.

360Radar shows Serial, Hexcode, type, Altitude, Vertical speed, speed, heading and Squawk Code.

Edited by scottystitch
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

There's a new free app. Both have existed for a year or so, hence some people presumably reporting it still working. The new one looks virtually identical to the old one, slightly cleaner UI. It's still free, although it has banner adverts at the top.

The icon is slightly darker blue, it's the only way I can tell the difference on my phone!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Adrian

Attached is a screen grab from Flight Radar website.

I have been using Gold for probably more than a year now and find it worth every penny (or dollar). Works really well either on my laptop or cheap old iPhone 5. There are still plenty of planes flying and air freight seems to be doing well.

Hope it helps.

Brian

IMG_6441.jpg

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Ok so I end up looking out of my home office window to spot an Air Lingus flight coming in to Manchester according to Flight Radar, carefully not trying to plane spot.

According to Flight Radar it was on finals, then suddenly it has over shot and is over Wythenshawe and now it is safely in the airport on the ground and has been marked for it's return flight.

Never even saw it in the sky despite the fact I can watch planes take off and land from my lofty office position.

Edit: No mention of fees or limited access on my PC

Hello woodenhead

I think Flight Radar explain the phenomenon of planes not being where they are in reality somewhere on their website (and that's too technical for me!).

I have sometimes 'seen' a 777 land on Harrow! And the occasional plane flying backwards! Or sideways!

But - generally speaking - they are not too far out. I can look up at the sky over my my house in Milton Keynes and be darn near spot with my focal point for planes outbound from LHR to the north coming into view out of the clouds.

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I love this app; I have 'Silver' on my iPhone.  I find it pretty accurate in real time but following a/c on final approach can sometimes lead to the image on the screen repositioning itself sideways, or backwards, and sometimes parking in fields or housing estates half a mile or so from the airport.  

• RMweb Premium

Unless the person feeding the data in to the server is very close to the airport/field, the app will lose track and that's why the plane seems to go off at a tangent or "land" in an strange area.

The ADS-B data is sent at 1090Mhz , so line of sight is the main method of recieption. Obviously as the plane gets lower and lower, the signal gets lost due to ground clutter.

Rob

3 hours ago, mezzoman253 said:

Unless the person feeding the data in to the server is very close to the airport/field, the app will lose track and that's why the plane seems to go off at a tangent or "land" in an strange area.....

Indeed.

These tracking services rely on members (plane spotters etc,) feeding data from their home receivers, into the site's servers.

Where there's limited coverage of people using receivers, the data will become lost and the tracker app then starts to predict or guess where the aircraft is.

3 hours ago, mezzoman253 said:

The ADS-B data is sent at 1090Mhz , so line of sight is the main method of recieption. Obviously as the plane gets lower and lower, the signal gets lost due to ground clutter.

It's also worth noting that these tracking services are NOT RADAR, but are simply picking up ADS-B data being transmitted from aircraft Modes S transponders.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron