I escaped to the attic for 5 mins yesterday and gave things a quick waft of Halfords red oxide which to my mind is a good starting point for GWR wagon red.

C289F8C6-7F21-437B-A946-CCC65EDDA10A.jpeg.46f70591889b30ae6ce32870c3785ccd.jpeg
It also allows the detail to be seen more clearly as in the horrid close up below.

59D1FFA5-6FBF-4F56-ADAC-308A05F00C00.jpeg.d66df4e7017c3e09fa178c35ec6fb247.jpeg

The strapping and corner plates are 0.25mm deep, as are the bolt heads which are 0.5mm square.  

Last weeks lunchtime 3D doodles covered a Cornwall Mineral Railways China clay tippler wagon and that will have some rivers that are 0.25mm... wonder if it will print ok

As I’ve escaped to the attic when I’m not half asleep I’d better get on with Kipford et als locos ...

• Like 3

So I’ve managed to make some progress.  First a CMR tippler wagon:

1A218F48-DE8F-454A-B475-1672B3FA9367.jpeg.ef9a984a0fd4d4840b3ed43649c2cf62.jpeg

The W irons are D & S. I think the buffers at the non tippling end should be self contained ones and I think I’ll modify GW self contained ones.  Brake gear will be butchered coopercraft from the spares box.

For the mark 2 I’m going to try extruding up the end door strapping to meet a 0.5mm brass wire hinge.

I’m also going to do a later version with buffers At both ends with will have a slightly differential side brace at the door end as per some prototype images.

A small set back with the BG opens.  The 4 plank is ridding to high.

The 3 plank is good though!

807606ED-4828-4E84-B797-21463EC03AD3.jpeg.680d7cc270f83715462dc17adf2b316a.jpegW irons and axle Xbox/springs are MJT, brakes ABS and v hanger D & S.

Duncan

• Like 8

Not much recently. There’s a failed build of a LSWR van in the printer that I haven’t felt like dealing with, the printer needs some maintenance I think.  Just sound equipped an N scale diesel, needs final weathering and then that three year project will be done. Currently trying to see why the gearbox on your Buffalo doesn’t want to move, one of the shafts seems to have rusted and is not letting the gear turn, so that will come apart and get cleaned up, possibly replaced with something less prone to corrosion. Then a new chassis, rods, and crank axle I think. But mostly I’ve been working on the XJ-S, it’s taking longer than anticipated...

Edited by garethashenden

• 1 month later...

Well, as well as slowly progressing other 3D projects in my idle moments at work, I have been working on my first coach - an E19/20 brake composite of 1888/89.  Its a convertible coach, with a narrow gauge body on top of broad gauge under frames (I'll be doing a narrow gauge under fame too).  It is the ancestor of the ubiquitous flush sided 'B-sets' of the late interwar period.  (The GWR coaching consignetti will no doubt be thinking that the B set refers to a particular coach formation - which varied over time and division of the GWR - not a coach diagram in itself and there were several different types of flush sided brake composite diagrams used - but 'B set' is a handle that many will understand.  Personally I blame Airfix...)

Anyway, I was congratulating myself on it being ready for a text print (and to see if the combined roof, body and under frame will fit in the printer - it does, just) when I noticed two not so deliberate mistakes.  Can you spot them?

688869533_Annotation2020-08-13154253.jpg.d21086875abaca6db8052071275c8a41.jpg A clue - one is easy to fix.  The other had me cursing myself hoarse when I noticed it and I'm still not sure how easy it will be to correct....

Regards

Duncan

• Like 1

1.  Door hinges and handles etc are on the wrong side.  All compartment doors should have left hand hinges.

2.  Brake stand blister missing?

3.  Half of the partitions are missing.

Why have you only vertical slots in the partitions?

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the comment.

Yes the door handles are on the wrong side - now corrected (with a great deal of CAD huffing and puffing)

Yes half the partitions are missing - but that is deliberate as the ones there are for strength- the others will be cosmetic and added via a false floor with the seats etc for interior detailing (and easy removal for painting etc).

The other mistake was that I didn't mirror the slots to take the roof strengthening ribs.  That was the easy one!

Here is the proof:

114102607_Annotation2020-08-18154211.jpg.5b9e9a1b334a3df6baffdc85ea42e9b9.jpg

Next job is a test print of the body, roof and BG underframe (and to modify the BG underframe into a NG version)...

Regards

Duncan

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

More on the E19/20 brake tricomposite...

30C36EA5-ADA4-4201-AD32-A3BD89508FFC.jpeg.9a6da255f4b53a403a73916ffee226be.jpeg

Here is the body resting on the broad gauge under frame.  The under frame is bowed but does flex back into the correct alignment.  

The narrow version of the under frame is being worked on at the moment.

DrDuncan

• Like 4

Yes, with a separate under frame.  I’ve still got the roof to print, but you can see where the reinforcement bars are going through the slits in the partitions.  I’ve also got to do the bogies.  I’m toying with using the MJT bg 6’4” ones with cosmetic side frames.  
D

Edited by drduncan
Spolling nistakes
  • Like 1

The Formlabs 2 can do a 50ft coach in one, but at a very steep angle so it takes ages to print.

Thankfully most of the coaches I need/want (recognising there is a difference!) for Nampara are 40ft or 4/6 wheelers at 31ft or less.

Edited by drduncan
New thought
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

So the latest design is a Broad Gauge West Of England China Clay CO wagon.

0FA669F0-909E-4E59-BBB1-55704B02AE27.jpeg.fa439b3a033394ebc0fabf3dbc90113e.jpeg

This test print went reasonably well, but there are a couple of niggles to be address on the ends before a print off a the 4 or 5 needed for Nampara.  

I will also try adding the buffer heads.  I was planning on using steel ones but they are rather pricey.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

10 hours ago, drduncan said:

I will also try adding the buffer heads.  I was planning on using steel ones but they are rather pricey.

Looks great dude, but definitely print the buffers, i would personally just make them a wee bit thicker/larger than there actual size to compensate for any unwanted bumps and knocks that inevitably occur! Though saying that you could always print some new ones if they bust off :)  

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

It has been a long time since I posted any updates.... So here is a little of what I've been working on so far....

Work on the CMR china clay tippler wagon continues, this time with integral brake gear.  So far this has been unsuccessful with the Form 2 I have sporadic access to.

I have also been working on some locos; can you guess what they are? (no prizes, just respect answers at the bottom of the post)

Here's the first....

1769535634_1392screengrab.png.dbcf9dfc2c2f507078568d9db8cf2d01.png

And then there is this...

217084922_3541STscreengrab.PNG.f06e4dd1c9e98ba8d3860745b89ece25.PNG

And finally there is....

256076886_Hawthornscreengrab.png.a19083d929b85727ed12193f95961c73.png

I've also been working on coaches:

Here is  GWR F1 slip.  This will have both narrow and broad underframes for it - like the E19/20 Brake Tri Composite in earlier posts.  I also intend to do a 2mm SG version (pay attention Rich Brummitt et al)  

1077829625_F1screengrab.png.c1438790991bdfa4cbf81aff349a14c9.png

And finally is a broad gauge bodied D2 brake third.  This will also have a narrow version (when I get round to it and in 2mm too) 

418080245_D2screengrab.png.e6874ab5adcf39bcdc3ca8e2e1984c6f.png

So the answer to the loco pop quiz are: 1.  GWR ex CMR 1392 class; 2. GWR broad gauge 3541 0-4-2 ST; 3. GWR broad gauge Hawthorn class 2-4-0 ST.

Thanks for looking.

Duncan 

• Like 5

Good to see your update, Duncan.  I seem to be sliding further back in time with my own modelling, so the size limitations of my small printer are not a problem for me - those longer carriages look impressive, though.

Mike

• Agree 1

Hi Mike,

Yes, me too as I try to scratch the BG itch - but I keep promising myself that its just one layout (or maybe just one two more: an extension to Nampara - the New Quays - and then after that something with a lovely Brunel timber viaduct and chalet style buildings) and then it will be back to the straight and narrow: GWR 1900-1914!  The emphasis on convertible stock is an indication of the shape of things to come - I hope.  

I have also taken the plunge and ordered a Mars 2 printer!  Banggood UK have them very competitively priced at the moment (even allowing for shipping and insurance).

Duncan

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/03/2021 at 13:49, drduncan said:

GWR broad gauge 3541 0-4-2 ST;

Very interesting stock in that pipeline, not least this one. You'll have to build in a "tail wag" !

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrha669a.htm

Incidentally, is the caption under that photo wrong as it seems to say that 3541 was 0-4-4T from the outset?

Edited by Mikkel

• RMweb Premium

You’ve probably honed your technique since last year, but I’d consider smaller support contact diameter and depth. I use 0.2mm for both, I only ever use light supports, and you get markedly less scarring from the supports. Remove them under warm water and they virtually fall off.