shanks522

Hello all, 

Due to various reasons modelling has really taken a back seat of late. 

I’ve sold Sarum town and Stanley bridge is in long term storage. 

with no layout to run anything on and a delivery due from revolution trains soon I wanted something just to watch the trains go by. 

ive been inspired by David’s 

I’ll be building a simple 2 track mainline, using banked curves from Kato, I want to run long trains so have constructed an inverted figure of 8, at least the loco won’t be chasing its tail! 

only started it last night using an off cut of celotex, will get it framed up later and see how I get on. 

cheers

graham 

C87BBE70-C68D-4161-B2C7-AB5218AB3501.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, 

little bit of progress over the last few days, the layout has now got a plywood surround and some framework underneath to keep it true. 
I gave it a little test run to check clearances etc and all is ok, quite nice just to run a few trains! 

it’s still quite messy at the moment but I shall get sanding and make it more presentable. 

cheers

graham

9705B9CC-5A9C-4D75-9182-90730326798E.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

A small, simple layout can be very rewarding.

Running your first train under its own power gives most modellers a massive lift. A simpler layout can also be detailed to a much higher standard.

I know lots who have tried something over-ambitious & given up before it it complete. I include myself in this.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Looking good Graham 

Can't wait to see your pendo having a good run and nice container running the other way. 

Given me the kick up the back side to get my n gauge layout thread up and running  keep up the good work. Will there be a video to follow soon ? I know a certain little fella that would love to see some trains running ;)

Stuart

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

A small, simple layout can be very rewarding.

Running your first train under its own power gives most modellers a massive lift. A simpler layout can also be detailed to a much higher standard.

I know lots who have tried something over-ambitious & given up before it it complete. I include myself in this.

Cheers Pete,

I quite enjoy the ambitious projects but just don't have time or space at the moment.

This is purely to get some things running, i was becoming a collector and not enjoying it! 

Graham. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, shreives said:

Looking good Graham 

Can't wait to see your pendo having a good run and nice container running the other way. 

Given me the kick up the back side to get my n gauge layout thread up and running  keep up the good work. Will there be a video to follow soon ? I know a certain little fella that would love to see some trains running ;)

Stuart

Be good to get your latest layout on here! get on with it! 

And don't worry videos will be following soon.

Big Brother. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had always thought about doing a rotating round layout.

Basically a circular layout on a circular board that rotates in the opposite direction to the loco so as the train goes round it almost appears to stand still will the scenery moving behind it.

Trickiest part would be matching the speeds of both to get the desired effect.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, smallman28 said:

I had always thought about doing a rotating round layout.

Basically a circular layout on a circular board that rotates in the opposite direction to the loco so as the train goes round it almost appears to stand still will the scenery moving behind it.

Trickiest part would be matching the speeds of both to get the desired effect.

Have a look at the "Belfield Hall Estate" layout:

http://www.belfieldhall.co.uk/belfield/bher_2.html

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all, 

managed an hour or two on the layout tonight, I’ve built up a skeleton framework using balsa wood, covered it with chicken wire and just applied some mod roc to give me a base to work on. 
Also taken delivery of a load of trees. 

Added bonus was winning this 60 on eBay, she’s sound fitted but I haven’t tested it yet, first loco I’ve bought in ages! 

finally I’m experimenting with hunt couplings on my HOAs, will upload a video soon. 

cheers

graham 

F684ACEB-BF33-4236-AFF4-A070D076D66D.jpeg

46B8C7B5-D316-45E0-B2B5-AD6037EDD548.jpeg

Edited by shanks522
  • Like 2

Hello all, 

Bit of testing, i've been having trouble with the rapido couplings on my Revolution HOAs, there quite a heavy wagon and they were not 100% reliable on the gradients of the layout/test track,  i bought some of the Hunt couplings to try out and i'm extremly impressed, coupling up is now so much easier and they run like a dream. 

Also needed to test the new 60, impressed with that too! 

excuse the plaster mess, was just enjoying playing trains to worry about cleaning it. 

Graham. 

• Like 4