Horncastle

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Simon

The inside modelling is lovely, pity a roof had to be put on top of the building so you cannot see the wonderful detail.

Fortunately Clive, all these rooms have lighting and the booking hall doors are open, so you should hopefully see Howard's work.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Very nice, would be interested to see how you've adapted the track plan for 2' by 12', have been looking at Horncastle myself, but for 1930s LNER, as I've a family connection to the town and the area, my grandfather was born and brought up locally there.

All the best,

Keith

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tractionman said:

Very nice, would be interested to see how you've adapted the track plan for 2' by 12', have been looking at Horncastle myself, but for 1930s LNER, as I've a family connection to the town and the area, my grandfather was born and brought up locally there.

All the best,

Keith

Thanks Keith, so as I'm assuming that it survived into the 1980s, there would of course been some track rationalisation. So to that end I omitted the sidings that were at the back of the station, and also to the 2 warehouses that would have at the front of the layout.

Ironically, one of those warehouses is the only building that still survives on the site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

The platform top has now been finished, with the coping stones scribed on. Not sure how this will look when painted, so this may need a different approach if it doesn't look right. 

I've also fitted the steps at the end of the platform, leading to the front of the goods shed.

Next job is painting the platform sides and top, not something I'm looking forward to. 

20200416_204745.jpg

• Like 14

This is really starting to look the part. I lived in the Lincolnshire wolds in the eighties and remember the building very well. Even then a lot of Lincolshire railway infrastructure remained. I lived 400 yds from the station at Donington-on Bain, another lovely building, and of course Louth was very ornate. Well done

David 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Hello Simon,

I've just come across your thread; lovely modelling, particularly the building interiors. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

Thanks for your kind words Nick, unfortunately I can't take credit for the main station building, as this was constructed by Howard Leader.

I'm currently working on the platform and trying to keep it to the same standard of Howard's work, not easy I tell yer!

Lovely lovely work.

Some extra passing interest as: 

a) the GNR autotrains, when rebuilt as twin coaches, one set was used on the line and I saw reference to them ending there days in Scottish Borders? 

b) Also not a million miles from me and a very good Triathlon in Woodhall Spa in pre Covid days 

Some very nice images of Horncastle just very recently uploaded to davesrailpics.co.uk 

1 hour ago, DOCJACOB said:

Lovely lovely work.

Some extra passing interest 

Some very nice images of Horncastle just very recently uploaded to davesrailpics.co.uk 

Thanks for the headsup, will take a look, not been on his site for some time now.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You've got one end platform step too many!!

But seriously, it's looking good.

Mike.

Well spotted Mike,

Come on lance corporal get a grip.....and don't forget to put the slight curve in where the steps have been worn down.

:punish:  :blackeye: Now why do I feel this might happen when the club starts up again?

• Funny 3

12 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You've got one end platform step too many!!

But seriously, it's looking good.

Mike.

Damm, I hoped no one would notice!

Just thought of a great excuse, H&S pointed out the old ones were worn out  so were replaced;)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Well spotted Mike,

Come on lance corporal get a grip.....and don't forget to put the slight curve in where the steps have been worn down.

:punish:  :blackeye: Now why do I feel this might happen when the club starts up again?

Looks like you're gonna be on show parade tonight CFN Mortimore :biggrin_mini2::P

• Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...

Been making good progress over the last 2 months. Platform is finished and weathered, ballasting has been completed, with weathering now being carried out.

I've ordered some cobolt motors to replace the unreliable seeps, this will also stop the blades becoming soldered and make the frog switching more reliable.

20200604_214401.jpg

20200610_142934.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2