Tasteless Adverts

To All RMWeb readers:-

Am I being hypersensitive, or do others agree with me that in the current situation, adverts for Funeral Plans on RMWeb are, to say the least, tasteless?

I understand that the booking for the advert may have been taken weeks ago before Coronavirus reached the UK, I I think it should be removed, and if necessary payment refunded?

Any views Folks?

Meanwhile, stay safe, keep up the exercise (unless you are in Spain or Italy), and keep smiling!

Best regards

Paul

• Agree 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

I understand that the booking for the advert may have been taken weeks ago before Coronavirus reached the UK, I I think it should be removed, and if necessary payment refunded?

The ads you see are served by Google Ads (they pay for the costs of running the site). They are either based upon browsing history of the user and therefore not seen by others or based on profiling by Google of any data they may hold on you (age, sex, location etc) or by the generic profile of the users of such a site (age, sex, locations). We do not serve the ads and I know they were observed by some prior to the current circumstances.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I don't see any adverts, let alone funeral plan ones....

???

Maybe an advantage of using DuckDuckGo as a search engine?

I think it might be that magic gold force-field around your posts that shields you from them ;)

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I don't see any adverts, let alone funeral plan ones

Gold
(Gold)
Always believe in your soul
You've got the power to know

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Most daytime TV channels are full of funeral plan ads and expensive mattress ads.

Just for us crumblies!

Then there's the equity release ads!

• Agree 3

I'm probably a bit too far the other way - people need to be confronted by death and not be so squeamish about it (that's not a criticism aimed at anyone here, the original question was right and proper, but more a criticism of our modern society).  My mother died when I was ten and my dad only lasted another thirteen years after that, so truth be told, I have developed a hard and brutal attitude to death, but it is a reality and is going to be something a lot of people need to be prepared for in the next few months.

I don't need a funeral plan, I've told the family if I kark it it's off to the crem, no service, and if they bother to return any remnants they are to ask the Fairbourne Railway if they can be shovelled into the firebox of one of the locos, so I can go up the chimney.

And into the eyes of all those in the village who have annoyed me.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Surely most ads are tasteless?  They usually insult ones intelligence, "buy one get one free" etc; not much is free any more and they've just found a way to make you buy something!

Brian.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 31/03/2020 at 15:23, Tallpaul69 said:

To All RMWeb readers:-

Am I being hypersensitive, or do others agree with me that in the current situation, adverts for Funeral Plans on RMWeb are, to say the least, tasteless?

Any views Folks?

Meanwhile, stay safe, keep up the exercise (unless you are in Spain or Italy), and keep smiling!

Best regards

Paul

I think society is far too hypersensitive on all sorts of things these days.  

In normal times, around 600,000 people die in the UK annually, that's 1600 per day, so if the adverts are insensitive now, then they are even more insensitive in normal times. Anyway, as mentioned above, the adverts you see are based on your browsing history. If you don't like an ad, you can click on the x button and ask not to be shown it again. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ikcdab said:

I think society is far too hypersensitive on all sorts of things these days.  

In normal times, around 600,000 people die in the UK annually, that's 1600 per day, so if the adverts are insensitive now, then they are even more insensitive in normal times. Anyway, as mentioned above, the adverts you see are based on your browsing history. If you don't like an ad, you can click on the x button and ask not to be shown it again. 

I do that for every advert, every time I log on.

Regardless of whatever they may preach the adverts which I see bear no relation to anything I would ever want to buy ("see the reason why Bear Grylls is no longer doing TV"???????).

Every month or so I've cleared them out of all the adverts so I just get blank spaces. Result!

• Like 2

One phrase often used in adverts is ' it could cost a lot less than you'd think '.

Well what the ++++ does that tell us!. Both Sainsbury's and BT have used that phrase.

Another favourite is the huge sign in a shop window ' 75% off every thing ',

and once you have crossed the street to look for those bargains you notice

in tiny letters ' up to ', in other words nearly all other items on sale are near full price.

The TV adverts aren't helping... our eldest pretty much screams abuse at the screen now. "Oh look, kids enjoying themselves with their mates! Can't do that!", "What a beautiful place... you can't flipping visit!", "Hey look a party, no ones social distancing!" Or my personal favourite she hollered at the screen last week; "Ooh a nice cruise liner... sign up for our medieval plague ship experience!" :)

• Funny 4

The adverts I'm getting are about advertising. Not sure what that's saying about me. Last week it was dating for the over 40's. I'm sure the SWMBO would be more than pleased to palm me off on someone else some days.

Marc