“Kinematik” couplers between Brawa K.W.St.E. 0-6-0 and 4-4-0 locos and tenders Question.

BillB

Hi, I would be grateful for info on the “Kinematik” couplers between loco and tender on a couple of Brawa HO models, specifically:

Brawa 0640 - Steam Locomotive BR AD K.W.St.E. (Württembergischen Schnellzuglok Klasse AD #1521), (aka Württemberg 4-4-0 #1521); and

Brawa 0622 - Steam Locomotive Fc K.W.St.E. (Württembergische Klasse Fc #626) (aka Württemberg 0-6-0 #626 “Bopser”).

I bought both of these second hand on ebay some years ago and noticed whilst both ran fine, their tenders seemed to be pulled along by the wires to the loco. With nothing better to do I have been trying to sort these two out.

At the rear of the loco footplate there is a “V” shaped slot (On the AD this is a separate component, part 47, and named “Kinematik”. On the Fc it is part of the footplate, part 031 “Umlauf” (Walkway). It seems to me there should be a pin sticking down from somewhere below the front of the tender floor and engaging in the “V” shaped slot and taking the load of the trailing tender and train. However, nothing on the parts diagrams of either loco shows any such pin. Also, examining the underside of both tenders, there is no obvious sign that there was a pin that has broken off / fallen out.

Can anyone tell me how this connection should work, please? I note that on the Württembergische Klasse Hh K.W.St.E. 0-10-0 (Brawa 40154) there is a different arrangement, with a metal drawbar secured to the underside of the tender floor with a screw. I know this is a later model, so I am wondering if the AD and Fc had a fragile loco-tender connection prone to breakage.

If there should be a pin which was part of the tender floor and has broken I may be able to solve my problem (for the moment) by ordering a couple of replacement floors. But that may not be the issue at all.

I would appreciate any info / advice.

Thanks,

Bill.

Edited by BillB
typo

Hello Bill,

Welcome to RMweb and the German part of the forum!

I don't have any Wurttemberg locos as I'm a 'Prussian' man but my little Brawa G5.4 has a similar sounding connection, it should look like this;

49720990567_10d35014f2_c.jpg

It looks to me as though the pin is part of a plate or even a hollow box that carries the said wires. There should certainly be something there.

Cheers,

John.

• Informative/Useful 1

Bill,

I have an Brawa "Ad" engine and it shows the same behaviour as yours. Apparently, the tender is connected with a spring. I don't want to disassemble the connection, there are too many tiny parts that might break.

Sorry, no info about the Fc, I don't have one. However, my Hh engine 0-10-0 has a rigid, kinematic type of tender-loco connection.

stay safe,

Michael

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi John and Michael, thanks for your replies. The connection may be a cousin of the G 5.4 but it doesn't look the same. I think I see (from above, peering down into the "V") the end of a wire which may be a spring on the AD. I have already broken off part of the lever which operates (in real life) the whistle on the cab roof, so I shall take the loco and tender bodies off the AD and see what I can find, and report back as you may be interested, Michael.

Best regards,

Bill.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I checked my files. My Brawa kwStEb AD class seems to have a 8 pin connector and my HH class has a 21 pin connector. But all of them (if they are designed within the last 20 years) have some kind of socket.

Michael

• 1 month later...
On 19/05/2020 at 15:29, friscopete said:

Can I ask if there is any digital 8 pin socket  in the tender or is it pure analog .Always fancied one to lurk  alongside locos my Bavarian .

cheers

Hi,

all brawa steam engine models in H0 gauge provide for a socket. Those introduced prior to 2006 an 8-pin, after 2006 a 21-pin MTC, and recently switching to PluX22.

Regards

Mark

Edited by Guardian
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Did you get this sorted out? I have an Fc, but its packed away in one of 15-20 boxes.

Happy to go looking for it if you still need.

The image is Brawa 40053 (3rail) and is copyrighted by Fritz Osterthun.

40053.jpg.9fe332418bdc368bd5ad5bb60008e56c.jpg