Mini drill bits (< 0.5mm) Recommendation(s)

Penlan

I had bought for me ready for a rainy day, some packs of Mini drills.
Unfortunatly all those below about 0.65mm (and some above) don't seem to have proper angled (?) ends, all look as if the tips have been broken off.
I use to have, from 40+ years ago, decent small drills with proper ends, but they have all gone now.
With the enforced stay-at-home, I wanted to get on with some fine work, like drilling holes in 40thou x 40 thou brass square section, but the drills wander off, and break (before I murder them possibly).
So, I'm looking for a source or three for decent, proper small drills.
The worst set bought at the end of last year for me, by my son, is boxed by 'Toolzone'.
As the boxes are marked in the £6 - £9 range, I thought they should be OK.
I still have an empty box from long ago 95p :D

Many thanks for any help.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

if you have a drill press and can fix you components tightly, you might try carbide drills. They last forever in my Proxxon drill press, but they break immediately if I try them hands free. No problem with the drills wandering. 0.3mm holes in cast brass parts are possible.

You can find tham at IBEy as PCB carbide micro drill bits either low quality from China of resharpened from local sources. PCB manufacturers use them in huge quantities and they are replaced after several resharpening cycles, because they get too short. They appear frequently at ebay.

Michael

We stock both Dormer branded and Economy drill in these sort of sizes. No recent problems reported but have in the past had some rogues that we have replaced. If drilling plastic the Economy should be fine, with care for Brass. If drilling NS the Dormer are better.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Penlan,

I can recommend these.

A bit pricey but the shanked design and short drill length means I've been using the 0.22mm diameter for a while now without breaking one (I only hand drill though)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Pcs-Precision-Micro-Drill-Bit-for-Watch-Pivot-Made-Japan/143324949993?hash=item215ed52de9:m:mPFVcXzMUKqrNDJNfg1Ebiw

I drill the 0.22mm hole then use some Bergeon cutting broaches to widen the hole to the desired diameter (again not cheap).

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/0020-to-100mm-bergeon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Western Star said:

Drill Services of Horley do well although sometime difficult to work out just which drill I need for a particular job.

Another unqualified recommendation for Drill Services.

However, I think that the OP is somewhat out of touch with today's prices for quality tools.

John Isherwood.

3 hours ago, Western Star said:

Drill Services of Horley do well although sometime difficult to work out just which drill I need for a particular job.

Likewise, I would recommend Horley Drill Service at drill-service.co.uk (I was born and bred in Horley too)

It's a case of you get what you pay for!!

Regards, Deano.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cctransuk said:

However, I think that the OP is somewhat out of touch with today's prices for quality tools.

I think I agree with you :pleasantry:

A couple of years ago I had to replace some Swiss files that had 'walked' at an exhibition...
They had gone mega price, but worth every Euro to replace.
Yes I'm out of touch - that comes with living in the far west of Cornwall, pro's & con's.
Many thanks to one and all for your replies, very much appreciated.

1 minute ago, Penlan said:

....that comes with living in the far west of Cornwall ....

I suspect that we, here in Bodmin, are not quite as far west as you are - but I know what you mean.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

14 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I suspect that we, here in Bodmin, are not quite as far west as you are - but I know what you mean.

Going off topic - Standing at Bodmin Station (The real one, not the P4 model) inside the station and looking along the track from the buffer stop(s),
I tempted to say even the most loosely put together flexi-chas would be tested travelling along that track :jester:
Of course I didn't photograph it at the time (Beer Festival & Jazz train, last year we from Village had a coach load of people attend))

How tiny do you want?

I salvaged a load of small bits from the bin when a firm I used to deal with closed c20 years ago, and these particular ones remain untouched, because they are so small.

If you want them, PM and I will post them to you.

K

00299C09-B02F-47CE-B6B9-685B92B65F3A.jpeg

4AA9F2F8-7022-4CA3-B0B7-1146CC45687C.jpeg

4 hours ago, ColinK said:

I’ve always used those boxes containing a set of drills of many sizes. They never last that long.  Is there a better alternative?

Drill Services of Horley.

Invest in at least five of the sizes that you use regularly; I buy ten at a time.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2