Parkside Dundas Hunslet 2-6-2 loco kit chassis

SweenyTod1

I've had this kit many years and it sits atop a Minitrix chassis. It has been in storage most of its time, but during a big clean up and redecoration of the mancave, it has resurfaced. I put it on my test plank track, but doesn't go very well. I gave it a squirt with some switch cleaner and oiled the bearing surfaces and though improved somewhat, it wobbles and slow speed control less than I would like.

Is there a better quality r-t-r chassis that would be suitable and more reliable? I doubt if there is much I can do to improve the Minitrix unit, or is there? 

Any advice most welcome.

Tod

Edited by SweenyTod1
spelling error

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The outside frame Farish 08 will fit but you'll have to bring your own cylinders, connecting rods and valve gear. The Roco HOe HF110 is also possible but requires quite a lot of work on the footplate to fit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your advice/ suggestions for improving the Minitrix unit, the motor goes well, the wobble seems to be generated in the wheels/valvegear area. 

In a collection I inherited from a deceased friend's estate and amongst a box of spares, there I found an N scale Arnold 5510 0-6-0 tank. It looks brand new in its box and sleeve. Despite the fact it is probably 20+ years old, it runs very well, quiet and doesn't wobble!!

Comparing it to the Miintrix chassis, though the wheels are slightly smaller and with minimal valvegear, I think, with care, my Hunslet could be Arnold powered! The pony wheels will be straightforward to transfer on to a scratch built chassis extention.

I may consider a strip down of the Minitrix chassis, once I have the loco working to my satisfaction. I also have a complete Lilliput 0-6-2 loco, from the same estate, but I understand that Shapeways do a "British" looking body that it will fit.

I have done a search for another Parkside Hunslet, but no luck so far. It's a nice looking loco and being whitemetal, plenty of weight for traction.

So onward and upward, plenty to do to exercise the brain, along with all the other projects, long, long overdue!!

Stay safe and well.

Tod