Today’s Railways-Platform 5

Stu from EGDL

Hi Gang,

As a fan of Today’s Railways UK and worrying about availability at the newsagent for my next copy, I ventured to the Platform 5 website which has a banner saying that both the UK and Europe monthlies are suspended TFN. There is a hope that they may restart with the July 2020 issue, published in June, but I feel this is a little hopeful.

Will any of the other magazines go the same way...time will tell!

Don’t know how this will affect subscriptions, but a word of warning, the first link took me to the Newstand web portal....who look as if they will still be happy to take your money for a suspended title. Be warned!

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

Edited by Stu from EGDL
Spelling errors
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Stu from EGDL said:

I ventured to the Platform 5 website which has a banner saying that both the UK and Europe monthlies are suspended TFN. There is a hope that they may restart with the July 2020 issue, published in June, but I feel this is a little hopeful.

Will any of the other magazines go the same way...time will tell!

Don’t know how this will affect subscriptions, but a word of warning, the first link took me to the Newstand web portal....who look as if they will still be happy to take your money for a suspended title. Be warned!

7 hours ago, Legend said:

oh dear . Hope its not the start of a trend

Somehow, I'd be surprised if there's anything too scary behind this.

Recently, there have also been comments about some printers closing "for the duration" - with plans to resume work after the current "Corona" emergency eases.

It's also been noted that a number of newsagent shops are also closed at present.

These developments make me wonder if the "no new issues for the time being" might merely be recognition of this reality - with subscriptions now being for the originally planned number of issues, albeit probably spread over a slightly longer length of time.

In other words, to me, this sounds like it's effectively a case of "nothing to worry about" for readers.

3 hours ago, Simon Lee said:

For subscribers they have stated that they will extend subs to cover the missing issues.

This certainly sounds consistent with my thoughts ... .

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I meant a trend of Mags shutting down for the duration of pandemic , as reading material dries up. That said , of course it’s not essential , and if it keeps people safe then it definitely the way to go 

Thank you for the news, as I seldom visit their website.

Obviously concerned having recently renewed my subscription to the Europe edition (the telephone was manned, or more accurately womanned), I also received a bookazine that was ordered at the same time.  However, I quite appreciate that their “house” is far from essential in present times.  I have plenty of reading material to keep me going, and it is unlikely I’ll be visiting Europe again in the immediate future.

• 2 months later...