Issues in Rail for a Final Year Product Design project

MatthewEWS

Hi Everyone 

(mods please move if there is a better place for this topic)

I’m a Product Design student who has to complete a final year project. I have a real interest in the rail industry and would love to base my final year project around this.

Ideally I need a real life scenario and problem to work with therefore I was wondering if anyone could think of the largest issues in the railway sector right now which could be solved through a product, app, service, technology innovation etc. 

At this stage I’m just looking for ideas and am still a few months away from pitching this project. But any suggestions would be much appreciated. Whilst I am an enthusiast, I am by no means an expert on the ins and outs of the real railway, so would appreciate any insights.

Many thanks,

Matthew 

One of the regular complaints from passengers is the lack of information when disruption occurs. One reason for this is that when a serious incident occurs the on-train staff (ie Driver, Guard/Conductor if provided), who would normally broadcast what was happening via public address systems, are fully occupied in essential operational duties. Sometimes passengers find out what is going on from their mobile phones before anywhere else ! So how about a system that allows Control Centre staff to send messages direct to on-train Passenger Information Displays, some of which are now very sophisticated, for example on the Thameslink Class 700 trains ?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, caradoc said:

One of the regular complaints from passengers is the lack of information when disruption occurs. One reason for this is that when a serious incident occurs the on-train staff (ie Driver, Guard/Conductor if provided), who would normally broadcast what was happening via public address systems, are fully occupied in essential operational duties. Sometimes passengers find out what is going on from their mobile phones before anywhere else ! So how about a system that allows Control Centre staff to send messages direct to on-train Passenger Information Displays, some of which are now very sophisticated, for example on the Thameslink Class 700 trains ?

Thank you very much. Information during disruption does seem to be a large issue I’ve identified so far. Certainly something to think about moving forward. Many thanks 

On 02/04/2020 at 10:23, caradoc said:

AIUI, on DOO trains at least, signallers already have the ability to access the PA system on the train.

58 minutes ago, DY444 said:

AIUI, on DOO trains at least, signallers already have the ability to access the PA system on the train.

True, but I was thinking more of dedicated staff in Control Offices, without the vital operational and safety duties that Signallers and Drivers have, being able to provide detailed information, to both visible and as you say audible Passenger Information Systems. This would of course have to be properly specified and managed to avoid conflicting messages. Perhaps automated messages, or as is already used, agreed standard ways of presenting information ?

On 2 April 2020 at 10:23, caradoc said:

It's well intentioned, and certainly feasible, but the weak link is at the head of the process, in that it all depends on someone, in a Control Centre, generating the information in the first place. When things have gone pear shaped, the people in these places are generally fully occupied trying to sort things out. Understandably, passengers tend figure fairly low on the scale of priorities (until and unless they decide to start self-evacuating).

Jim

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, jim.snowdon said:

It's well intentioned, and certainly feasible, but the weak link is at the head of the process, in that it all depends on someone, in a Control Centre, generating the information in the first place. When things have gone pear shaped, the people in these places are generally fully occupied trying to sort things out. Understandably, passengers tend figure fairly low on the scale of priorities (until and unless they decide to start self-evacuating).

Jim

I agree jim. What doesn't help is that some (but not all) senior managers have regarded Controls as an expensive luxury, particularly when visiting and seeing most of the staff drinking tea and chatting; Whereas the savvy ones were delighted as it meant the railway was running well ! As a result staffing levels were constantly under review, and being reduced, both in BR days and post-privatisation, in fact the closure of a post in my job was one of the factors that convinced me to retire in 2016, as five people were now expected to do the work of six, while working 24/7/365 shifts. That particular situation is, I hear, now being reversed, and hopefully the focus nowadays on railway performance and passenger information will ensure that sufficient staff are in place to do the job properly. 

• Agree 1

Look at the service-providers who do this best: what do they do that is different from the worst?

One answer, I believe, is to have a dedicated job role in/near ‘control’ to keep users informed of WTFIGO.

So, project wise, the lesson is to look at the whole system, people, processes and kit, not just get bedazzled by the tech.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 2 months later...

As a follow up to the responses above, I have created a short survey which I would really appreciate you answering, especially if you work on or use the railways frequently

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/NKSLQFL

Thank you for taking the time to answer this survey, all information is anonymous and only used for my planning. I can be contacted on mth18kcf@bangor.ac.uk or via private message if you want to discuss any matters in more detail.

Edited by MatthewEWS

• RMweb Gold

Could you come up with a seat design that complies with "the regulations" that is actually comfortable to  sit in?
As a paying  passenger, this is my biggest issue with modern train desings.
HTH,
Bob.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1