4mm SR/BR EMU De-Icer or Stores units

Hello, 

Thinking about a future project, the building of one of the Southern region EMU De-Icer or Store Unit ?

I know these were modified from 2-BIL / 2-HAL and other units.

Any information, or pointers on these units would be helpful,  also any info on any modelling aids etc,  etc

I know it is a long shot !

Cheers,  Ian

• RMweb Premium

The first stores units were certainly from HAL motor coaches, unless my memory is wrong (B&W pics in all sorts of books related to Southern Electric topics), but I don't think any HAL motorcoaches were used for de-icers, nor BIL motor coaches for either. The earlier de-icers used old SUB motorcoaches (again, I've seen B&W pics somewhere), e.g. the one I saw at Lovers Walk in maybe 1970. I wouldn't like to say _which_ sort of SUB, but prewar panelled stock.

Later, Bulleid SUB motors were used - see Darius's 4-SUB De-icer currently under construction in Kitbuilding & Scratchbuilding.

ĸen

• Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Here's chapter and verse on the de-icing units. 

http://extra.southernelectric.org.uk/features/historical-features/iceagetrain.html

Hi,

I wish I'd had that info when I built my MTK Ex 4 SUB de-icer. I hope I got the coach and unit numbers on my unit right.

I think I've got a spare Hornby 2-BIL motor bogie (minus the side frames) that might be able to replace my Southern Pride motor bogie (which has a live chassis/motor and not that easy to DCC).

I've got a milling machine so if I could get a chunk of steel delivered I might be able to make a Hornby 2-BIL motor mount/weight. I would have to strengthen the MTK aluminium floor to take the extra weight.

I suspect the Hornby 2-HAL motor bogie would be a better slow speed runner as I think it has a different motor more suited to starting with the frictional load caused by the large weight.

Take care.

Nick

• Like 1

The late Alistair Rolfe of NNK was adement that these were Bulleid EPB driving coaches with a SUB cab grafted on - his hypothesis being it was less drafty than a SUB and more operationally  interchangeable with an EPB.

jon

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The stores units all post-dated the introduction of blue livery. If you go back far enough, de-icers were green - but those were all based on motorcoaches from old Sub units (all panelled, I think).

On 02/04/2020 at 18:44, jonhall said:

The late Alistair Rolfe of NNK was adement that these were Bulleid EPB driving coaches with a SUB cab grafted on - his hypothesis being it was less drafty than a SUB and more operationally  interchangeable with an EPB.

jon

I always thought it was the other way around - SUB coaches with an EPB cab grafted on.  This is a pic I took in 1980 of a conversion being undertaken at Selhurst:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/74009/4101945622/in/album-72157623555986986/

All the best

Stuart

23 minutes ago, 74009 said:

I always thought it was the other way around - SUB coaches with an EPB cab grafted on.  This is a pic I took in 1980 of a conversion being undertaken at Selhurst:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/74009/4101945622/in/album-72157623555986986/

All the best

Stuart

Even that isn't right. They were surplus all-steel SUB motor coaches, heavily modified along their length, although with most windows retained, and with new steel panels with EPB-style sliding windows (but set marginally lower) replacing the SUB driver's doors. A new head code panel was welded in, too, to replace the former SUB ones. The interior of each car was dramatically changed, including the driver's cab, and EPB braking was fitted.

2 hours ago, 74009 said:

Yes, I'm sure you (and bécasse) are right - its been a long time....

Jon